C-band Site location question (1 Viewer)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjc3895

Thread Starter
Supporting Founder
Sep 28, 2004
390
0
I'm getting ready to mount either an 8' or my 10' dish in my back yard. My coordinates are latitude 39.509N and longitude is -76.164W. My view of the southern sky is clear from S to SE. My SW -W view has mature trees in the back yard. My 30" KU band dish has no problem seeing over to G10.

What's the general rule of thumb for being aboe to see satellites beyond or over an obstructed view?
 

voomvoom

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
May 18, 2004
6,659
27
Lizella, Georgia Republic
Good Question...

rjc3895 said:
I'm getting ready to mount either an 8' or my 10' dish in my back yard. My coordinates are latitude 39.509N and longitude is -76.164W. My view of the southern sky is clear from S to SE. My SW -W view has mature trees in the back yard. My 30" KU band dish has no problem seeing over to G10.

What's the general rule of thumb for being aboe to see satellites beyond or over an obstructed view?
The general rule of thumb for trees should be, chain saw, axe and/or dynamite. The dynamite could be used effectively on buildings or other obstructions. However, if said trees are on neighbors property, could be a bigger problem, or wifey could also present a major problem.
After all these excellent ideas, bottom line is, if your thirty inch dish works there's no reason, I can think of, for the larger dish not to work. And where your thirty inch doesn't work, the larger dish probably won't either, except maybe bringing in weaker signals that the thirty inch couldn't quite capture and of course the C-band signals that the thirty inch and ku lnb won't get anyway.

Al
 

iammike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 29, 2003
953
0
Roanoke,VA
My only concern would be that most of the 4dtv channels are on sats west of G10. Depending on where your trees are located, you may have some issues. Of course, as was stated earlier, chain saws and dynamite fix a lot of problems. :D
 

rjc3895

Thread Starter
Supporting Founder
Sep 28, 2004
390
0
iammike said:
My only concern would be that most of the 4dtv channels are on sats west of G10. Depending on where your trees are located, you may have some issues. Of course, as was stated earlier, chain saws and dynamite fix a lot of problems. :D

Unfortunately when I called Miss Utility to mark any gas, phone and electric lines, I told them that I would not be using any explosive devices :D

Technically I don't own the trees. It's a complicated story, but the house underwent a foreclosure before I purchased it. The piece of property that has the trees once belonged to the former owners, but the deed is still in HUD's name and HUD claims they don't own it. I'm trying to buy it a tax sale. Then the trees will come down.

The dish will be located about 100 feet from the tree line.
 

WyrTwister

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 6, 2004
769
0
rjc3895 said:
Unfortunately when I called Miss Utility to mark any gas, phone and electric lines, I told them that I would not be using any explosive devices :D

Technically I don't own the trees. It's a complicated story, but the house underwent a foreclosure before I purchased it. The piece of property that has the trees once belonged to the former owners, but the deed is still in HUD's name and HUD claims they don't own it. I'm trying to buy it a tax sale. Then the trees will come down.

The dish will be located about 100 feet from the tree line.



Look up the dish elevations for the sats which you are conserned about .

Plot off on graph paper ( I have forgotten my trig ) these angles ( with a protractor .

Scale off the 100 feet . Scale off the height of the trees . Draw that angle .

Now compare to see if the dish will shoot over the trees by comparing these angles .

Wyr
 

rjc3895

Thread Starter
Supporting Founder
Sep 28, 2004
390
0
WyrTwister said:
Look up the dish elevations for the sats which you are conserned about .

Plot off on graph paper ( I have forgotten my trig ) these angles ( with a protractor .

Scale off the 100 feet . Scale off the height of the trees . Draw that angle .

Now compare to see if the dish will shoot over the trees by comparing these angles .

Wyr

Thanks. That shouldn't be too hard to calculate.
 

sdoradus

SatelliteGuys Guru
Oct 28, 2005
147
0
A quick way would be simply find the elevation of the lowest bird you want and then take the tangent of that angle X your 100ft (assuming that is an accurate distance ) and that tells you how high the trees can be at that point. If the elevation is say 20 degrees you simply take your calculater and go 20tan X 100 = an output of 36.39 ft. If the trees are taller or the bird is lower warm up the chain saw.
 
Last edited:

WyrTwister

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 6, 2004
769
0
sdoradus said:
A quick way would be simply find the elevation of the lowest bird you want and then take the tangent of that angle X your 100ft (assuming that is an accurate distance ) and that tells you how high the trees can be at that point. If the elevation is say 20 degrees you simply take your calculater and go 20tan X 100 = an output of 36.39 ft. If the trees are taller or the bird is lower warm up the chain saw.



Exactly , as I said , been over a generation and a half since I used trig . Old grey sells ged kind of fuzzy . :-(


Wyr
 

rjc3895

Thread Starter
Supporting Founder
Sep 28, 2004
390
0
I'm just glad I don't have to climb up the trees with a tape measure to find out how tall the trees are. :D
 

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 4, 2004
1,279
131
Central NY State
Great changes are easy to detect. Small and slow changes are harder to detect. Sooo with this thought a branch now a tree later and over time things just kinda of disappear and most people are keep :)

Good luck
 

sdoradus

SatelliteGuys Guru
Oct 28, 2005
147
0
Rumor has it that Pythagoras made it to the ripe age of 80 while the average Squirrel Monkey clocks out at around 15.

SD
 
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top