C.H.I.P. Computer

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Has anyone ordered or seen this $9 computer? I ordered one just to play around with and see if I can learn a thing or two.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I have one on order to add to my collection of SBC's. :)

I have one, including the Pocket CHIP. It does seem to have some potential as a replacement for embedded type of systems, like you would use an Arduino, but it is very underpowered to use it in a PC type of setting.

as a replacement for embedded type of systems, like you would use an Arduino
Not a replacement for things like Arduino, PIC, etc.
This has to load up an OS, on start up, no "instant" on.
Also, you have the OS overhead and possibility of OS crashes, albeit no very often with Linux, but it is still there.

Order is delayed until Sept. :(

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Yeah, I got the same email. If you don't want to wait you could always get a Pi and play around with it.
Of course that negates the $9 computer. :)

Of course that negates the $9 computer. :)
As does having a smaller base of software libraries to choose from. There's much to be said for not having to reinvent the wheel or port things over from other platforms. One shouldn't ignore the wide availability of interface hardware and software available for some of the better established platforms.

Is there a comparable version of the Pi that does gaming like the Chip? I love retro gaming.

Does anyone make a small led screen like the pocketchip for the pi? I really like the pocketchip layout.

Yes, there are several screens that you can get that will plug right into your pi.

Our soon to be 8 year old wants a computer. I've been thinking of getting a Pi anyway to run retro games and to stream Netflix/Hulu. I'll either give her my old desktop or retire it and build her a Pi as well. Saw that there's an Ubuntu distro for the Pi.

Speaking of systems on a chip, did you see the news of the University of Michigan Micro Mote?
MicroDevices39-lg-2-300x200.jpg

http://techtransfer.umich.edu/stori...reless-integrated-circuits-and-systems-group/
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-worlds-smallest-computer-university-of-michigan-micro-mote/

Reactions: KE4EST
Our soon to be 8 year old wants a computer. I've been thinking of getting a Pi anyway to run retro games and to stream Netflix/Hulu. I'll either give her my old desktop or retire it and build her a Pi as well. Saw that there's an Ubuntu distro for the Pi.
I'm not convinced that the Pi is going to meet the needs of an eight year old. Most have already been exposed to computers that can run software that you can buy off the shelf. Kids are even less patient than we are about instant gratification and computer kits are their own end as opposed to a practical tool to run interactive creativity tools and educational titles.

Part of the process of buying kids a machine (whether a computer or a gaming console) is to gift fun add-ons and software later. If it captures their imagination, they'll figure out the underpinnings on their own.

Got the Pi's at the house. Getting the OS installed has been fun....

Reactions: KE4EST

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts