*C HD resolution and bit rates

maljabir

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Hello all...
I am a hi def fan and Dish Net subscriber who is **extremely** disappointed with Echostar's decision to transmit VOOM programming at 1280x1080 and I am now looking at *C as a source of HD programming. But before I make the jump, I want to know if *C is doing the same thing that Dish and DTV are doing with HD transmissions. Why make the investment in new equipment and installation if I am going to get the same quality of picture, right?
So, my questions are:
1) Does *C down-res HD to 1280x1080 or are they sending full-res 1920x1080?
2) Does anyone know what the bit rates are for *C HD channels. I've read on other forums about DTV throttling bit rate down to the 12 to 14 mbps range and compromising picture quality. Is *C doing this also?
3) What is the resolution that the programming providers (TSN HD, CBC, NBC, Fox, PBS, etc.) are feeding *C? Is it full res HD?
Thanks in advance.

Sportsnet/MC/TMN are received in 1080i via fibre. Networks are received via OTA and fibre and upconverted to 1080i if 720p

They do not downrez to 1280X1080

They use variable rate DCII encoding - I don't have the equipment to measure the range.

thanks, Satellite Expert

You made my day, Satellite Expert... just what I was hoping I'd find out!

Would appreciate it if anyone who has the bitrate info would post it.

why the low bitrate, HDTVFanAtic?

HDTVFanAtic, why the low bitrate if they are broadcasting full res 1920x1080i like Satellite Expert said in his post? I thought full res would need about 16 to 19 mbps.

you can run full res with compression to get that low.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe they are full res with compression.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts