Status
Please reply by conversation.

ParaclipseCKu

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 8, 2008
Florida Space Coast
I'm in the process of installing my C/Ku Dual Ortho feed.

Specifically I'm looking for a diagram showing the cabling from feed to power inserters, multiswitch, FTA Recv, and 4DTV Recv.

I'm running into some problems and I'm not 100% sure if its cabling or Feed positioning.

Thanks for your time :)

i wont give you a diagram but an explanation of how i would cable it.

cband lnb V to power inserter to 0khz V input on multiswitch
cband lnb H to 0khz H input on multiswitch (use power inserter if you like but not needed)

kuband lnb V to power inserter to 22khz V input on multiswitch
kuband lnb H to 22khz H input on multiswitch (use power inserter if you like but not needed)

multisiwtch output to cband input on 4dtv.
multisiwtch output to fta stb.

ground as needed.

set 4dtv lnb settings to cband lnbf (might have to be set to rotated 90)
and fta stb settings are cband 0k , ku 22k.

about as much help as i can be with the provided info. 4d unit has no ku ability in the scenario i described. and without the optional power inserters the lnbs draw there H voltage from the recievers.

crackt out,.

Thanks for the input.

I think where I may have gone wrong was the 0/22khz.

Tomorrow I'll give it a try and see how things work out!

its also important to use the dvb reciever to set the polarity of the feedhorn when tuning. 4dtv units seem to think h is 13v and v is 18v. but the rotated 90 setting on the 4dtv compensates for this.

crackt out,.

Crackt,

Much appreciated! Most likely I'm only going to be using the 4D unit to move the dish but will keep the LNB's hooked up for the occasional analog signals that I find from time to time.

that was really my interpretation. and there is no need for ku to the 4dtv. also as i stated the power inserters are optional on the 18v feeds as the recievers can supply this. orthos are abit more work but perform very well when tuned.

happy scanning.

crackt out,.

I agree with your statement about Ku. I really just want to keep the C-Band side hooked up to the 4D unit.

Hope to have some pictures about this project later in the week!

Lets say you only have one coax at your BUD. Althought it might be possible to run 18 volts to the dish and put the switch outside, is there a better solution?

Couldn't one just use a 4x1 diseqc switch and have sats listed twice? forget about 4dtv.

Lets say you only have one coax at your BUD. Althought it might be possible to run 18 volts to the dish and put the switch outside, is there a better solution?

Couldn't one just use a 4x1 diseqc switch and have sats listed twice? forget about 4dtv.

it would work but it would not be the most elegant solution.

here is a list of feeds and when you would use them. keep in mind its based on cost / performance. a dish that is not well tuned will perform poorly with the best feed / lnb money can buy.

single output lnbf / polarotor. used when one single cband polarity needs to be tuned at any time. can be slaved to feed multiple tuners but only one single polarity at any given time.

c / ku lnbf / corotor. used when when one single cband or ku band polarity needs to be tuned at any time. allows for ku reception on a BUD. can be slaved to feed multiple tuners but only one single cband or kuband polarity at any given time.

dual output lnbf / single orthomode feed. used when both cband polarities need to be tuned at a time. used with a multiswitch to feed multiple tuners either polarity at any time.

dual orthomode feed. used when both polarites of cband and ku band need to be tuned at the same time. also used with a multiswitch to feed multiple tuners either cband or ku band polarity at any time.

there is no real reason to use an orthomode unless you plan on distributing the signal to multiple recievers. the cost simply doesnt warrant the performance gain for most users. a bullseye 2 and 4 lnbs can set you back 600 plus dollars. a ck1 is about 50. another thing to consider is the weight of the feed assembly. a bullseye must weigh alot. i know my single orthomodes are heavy with 2 norsats. im sure most users could get by with a dual output cband lnbf and a 1m ku dish. cheaper than a bullseye setup.

looking forward to see pics of this beast when its all setup. they are monsters. haha.

crackt out,.

The new feed is up and running on the dish! It was very easy to install.

Thanks to Crackt for his assistance in wiring the power inserters and multiswitch.

Now that I can have multiple receivers on this dish I'll be doing some major re-wiring in the coming weeks.

Pictures are in the link below (rather large size if you are dialup).

SatelliteGuys.US - ParaclipseCKu's Album: C/Ku Orthomode Feed Project

I see you are using the pico power inserter. Can you use just one power inserter for both c-band vert and ku vert......or would you have to use 2 power inserters because the pico reads one side for horz and one side for vert.?

I don't know if that question was clear. I guess what I am trying to ask is ... Will the Pico inserter that is being used put out the 18v on both connections that it has so that I can use just one of them for both vertical polarities of C and Ku lnbs of the Bullseye II.

The CK-1 can never perform even clos to the bullseye, I also had a bsc-621 that was awful compared to a corotor or bullseye orthomode.

The Pico inserter will put out 18V on both ports. I'm using two because I'm feeding 4 LNB's.

Hope that answers your question!

I see you are using the pico power inserter. Can you use just one power inserter for both c-band vert and ku vert......or would you have to use 2 power inserters because the pico reads one side for horz and one side for vert.?

I don't know if that question was clear. I guess what I am trying to ask is ... Will the Pico inserter that is being used put out the 18v on both connections that it has so that I can use just one of them for both vertical polarities of C and Ku lnbs of the Bullseye II.

Its been about 3 weeks since I installed the feed and got things running correctly. I just wish I had done this sooner! It is really performing nicely and with the multiswitch its handy being able to use the other available receivers. Whether its a C only or C/Ku orthomode feed I highly recommend one !

On a slightly different topic has anyone experienced water in the throat of the feed?

My LNB's are bolted to the feed with the gaskets installed, however during our last rain storm I did see a small amount of water collect behind the feed cover. Has anyone else experienced this?

After 2 months I am extremely pleased with the way the Dual Ortho feed has worked out. Best investment this year!

As noted elsewhere in this thread I noticed a bit of water getting into the feed. Even with the gaskets between LNB and Feed. I thought about it a bit and decided to try an experiment. I put some plastic wrap around the feed and sure enough the next time it rained no water was noticed in the feed.

I have taken this to a slightly more permanent level and thought it might help out those who can't fit a nose cover over the feed.

Get some scraps of shrink wrap from a boat yard. It should be UV stable for about 1 year. I just installed the shrink today on both the Noaaport and TVRO dish. Since the plastic wrap worked I'm sure this will as well:)

Pictures are here: ParaclipseCKu's Album: C/Ku Orthomode Feed Project

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)