Cable connections

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

beas0536

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Tn
Buying bulk satelite cable for a do it yourself installation. Question, what is the best cable end connectors to buy and is there a tool for installation? I have only used the twist on type before and this does not seem very stable or weather proof. Any tips from the pro's?

For cable use solid copper core RG6.
For connectors, use compression style. And the appropriate tool.
Don't use crimp or screw on type connectors.
I'll let others pipe in as to which ones are best.

Buying bulk satelite cable for a do it yourself installation. Question, what is the best cable end connectors to buy and is there a tool for installation? I have only used the twist on type before and this does not seem very stable or weather proof. Any tips from the pro's?

DO NOT continue to use those twist on fittings. Do go back and replace any you can find. Also on the obsolete & do not use list is any RG59 cable you may find. Type "F" fittings on copper clad RG6 cable was the standard for years and is only ok. Most recent specifications = Solid copper RG6 coaxial cable with compression style fittings. Beyond that there are many tools and styles of compression fittings. Experienced techs can splice fittings to cable with a box knife.......but there are many spin type cable prep tools that give a perfect splice without any skill or experience. Likewise compression tools for the fittings vary widely but all are equivalent and subject to individual preference. Let cost and availability guide you. Get the prep tool, fittings, compression tool and cable from the same source........you could start with the sponsors listed above. OR I like Skywalker or Solid Signal as suppliers. Read around in their catalogs for a feel for what is available. Big box stores have materials but are clueless about their uses.

Other consideratioins = DO NOT use steel staples. There are several varieties of plastic cable clips. Outside connections look good and serve best inside a "drop box" or project enclosure. Always make a service loop near the fitting. Secure with small quick ties. Caulk holes where cable runs through exterior walls and always run cable up to holes to avoid rain running into fittings. If no water or smoke comes out of the holes you drill and there is a clear picture you have managed to gitt'er done.

Joe:welcome

Last edited:
If you would like name brands,

Ppc ex6xl are the fittings that have been inhouse standard for quite some time, the tool can be purchased from techtoolsupply.com. runs about 40bucks for the tool. Lowes/home depot sell good dikes and strippers. I always liked datashark strippers, but i think they were discontinued, ideal is another good company for tools.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

While it may or may not be on DIRECTV's current list of favored connectors, the PPC EX6XL has long been a favorite.

The Perfect Vision PV6UE-05 is on the list IIRC.

The Thomas & Betts Snap-n-Seal is probably on the list too.

While it may or may not be on DIRECTV's current list of favored connectors, the PPC EX6XL has long been a favorite.

The Perfect Vision PV6UE-05 is on the list IIRC.

The Thomas & Betts Snap-n-Seal is probably on the list too.

Always liked the Snap & Seal.....esp the color coded size feature. Also always thought the special tool was over priced + IF you lost it you were screwed; never found a good substitute.

Joe

If you are just doing your own installation, you can get a reasonable crimp tool for the compression ends at Harbor Freight for < $10, no it is far from professional grade ( what from Harbor Freight is ?) but it does the job for a DIYer that will only be using it a couple times . I used one when the A..hole Charter installer decided to go around cutting the ends off every RG6 wire he could find/reach when he installed only internet service ,or should I say turned on since I already owned my own modem

If you are just doing your own installation, you can get a reasonable crimp tool for the compression ends at Harbor Freight for < $10, no it is far from professional grade ( what from Harbor Freight is ?) but it does the job for a DIYer that will only be using it a couple times . I used one when the A..hole Charter installer decided to go around cutting the ends off every RG6 wire he could find/reach when he installed only internet service ,or should I say turned on since I already owned my own modem

Should have told him tgo replace them with new fittings.
It would have surprised him had you walked in and told him that you decided to add cable.

Should have told him tgo replace them with new fittings.
It would have surprised him had you walked in and told him that you decided to add cable.

Oh yeah, I would've thrown a fit and told him to stop cutting connecters off. What's the purpose, just makes it easier for the cable to get water damage IMO

I have seen that with cable companies. They say their system is balanced for the load they calculate after the installation. If you add a/os it makes them rebalance their system, adjusting amps & stuff. One cable company told me to just take any splitters & cable not on the work order...........never did that.........but did report a few obvious hacks to their lines. One cx even called the cops on me for stealing his splitters; I had rolled the line up into a wall...but the cops were serious at first. Then they discovered the value of the splitters and went to lunch. Pretty sure your tech should have put a barrel & terminator cap on each of your lines.

Joe

"DigiCon" are the "best" compression fittings.

"PerfectVision" Quad Shield solid copper core coax is probably the best for satellite use.

I think both are available from SolidSignal.Com

That is the most retarded thing I've ever heard of. The proper thing to do is to remove the splitter from the house so that the cable modem has a direct connection with no loss. Any unused ends that could not be disconnected from the splitter should have had terminators installed on them. Cut live ends are just leaking out signal into the air!!!

I've had my own experiences with Charter, even with their traps installed there is usually quite a bit of QAM on the line to get with internet only service. They need to learn to just live with this or change their band plan to keep the channels in the trapped range or invest in traps that will cover the range.

Read about my horrible Charter experience here: http://www.dslreports.com/comment/80819

That is the most retarded thing I've ever heard of. The proper thing to do is to remove the splitter from the house so that the cable modem has a direct connection with no loss. Any unused ends that could not be disconnected from the splitter should have had terminators installed on them. Cut live ends are just leaking out signal into the air!!!

I've had my own experiences with Charter, even with their traps installed there is usually quite a bit of QAM on the line to get with internet only service. They need to learn to just live with this or change their band plan to keep the channels in the trapped range or invest in traps that will cover the range.

Read about my horrible Charter experience here: http://www.dslreports.com/comment/80819

I have Cox internet and land line. I get virtually no useful QAM channels, only shopping and local interest ones. In other Cox areass I have friends that have the same setup and get local hd QAM channels, so around here it varies widely what you can get that way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)