Cablevision agrees to end Voom

salsadancer7 said:
LUCKY....it's bad enough we all THINK this is the end...we really don't need ya to throw salt on a wound that started as a cut in February and grown into a gash in April....

Well guys since AP and Reuters are now confirming that VOOM is done as of April 30 I guess I was right. I told you Newsday is a very reputable newspaper. I am sad, too. However, I did not go into denial as some of you did.

My only hope left is that Dolan has something up his sleve and NEEDS Cablevision out of the pic. I mean with how hard Dolan has fought for Voom this "Unanimous" vote just seems odd otherwise. If he didnt want Voom shut why vote to close 14-1 would still have closed voom if you see what I mean. Still sucks to see this thread 1st thing this AM. :no :mad: :river

Cablevision Systems Corp., the cable TV systems operator, on Friday said it has decided to proceed with the planned shutdown of its money-losing Voom satellite television service.

In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Cablevision said it will close its Rainbow DBS unit, which operates Voom. The satellite TV service will no longer be available to customers as of April 30.

On March 8, Cablevision entered into an agreement with Chairman Charles F. Dolan to delay the shutdown while Dolan attempted to arrange financing to buy Voom's assets and keep the business alive. That agreement expired on March 31. Dolan had disagreed with the decision of Cablevision's board, which includes his son James Dolan, the company's CEO, to discontinue the satellite service.

In Friday's filing, Cablevision said its board "instructed management to continue to analyze whether its Voom 21 channels can be marketed to other satellite and cable providers as part of the company's Rainbow programming operations."

Cablevision has a pending agreement to sell a broadcast satellite to Echostar Communications Corp. for about $200 million.

cutoff date

smeagal said:
wonder when we get a date? so we can switch over in time.
Wonder if the cutoff will occur b4 or after next bill? Mine comes on the 18th. Hmmm Pro rate? Hmmmm

Minsk1 said:
OK, Voom is dead. :(
But what about Voom HD, LLC?... :rolleyes:
I say it is over only when my receivers are dead. :cool:

Again....exactly. Voom is dead. VOOM LLC is not. Web page is still up and the CSR I just talked to, recomfirmed my antenna upgrade for Monday.

Well looks like its over!!!!! 8:21am got a call from install company, i had a service call today between 8-12 to check my antenna because for some reason i lost abc and cbs. they said my appointment has been cancelled, i said why? they said i would need to call voom, thats all the info he gave me!!!!! maybe they can not make the appointment so they are blaming voom, dont know for sure but doesnt look good! not sure if this means anything, but just thought i would share with everyone!!!

FCC Timeline is still intact. FCC always has to review license transfers reguardless if a company is in business or not.

The FCC may approve anytime past the 90 day mark. But can take as long to the 180 day mark. Past deals like this end earlier rather than later. Today we are on day 42

Think about this; What if the company was to francise or license out transmissions to local cable providers. That could be like instant customers.

"It's only a flesh wound!"

This thread is reminding me of the black knight in the "Holy Grail" getting hacked to pieces. At some point we must ask, "so what are you going to do bleed on me?"

Didn't Chuck reduce the number of board members to 12.

The article says:
"The 15-member board, including Dolan, voted unanimously"

If he is incorrect on the number of members on the board, then there very likely could be some other misinformation in there.
Maybe the board voted by majority or Chuck abstained from voting, but I find it very hard to believe that he voted to shut down VOOM.

Regardless of the validity of the article, I don't think VOOM is going anywhere before the end of this month. If we get an official notice from VOOM that service will be discontinued, then and only then will I expect the service to be shut down.

There's much more going on then what happens in these meetings and it is going to take time for the whole thing to play out.

bruce said:
As long as you have HDMI or DVI you will be fine, I am looking at new Toshibas now since HD-DVD Component output will maxed out at 480P.

That sure sucks! I just have component inputs, and I'm not about to replace my TV for HD-DVD, and I won't buy an HD-DVD player if I can't get better than 480p. Oh well, so much for looking forward to HD-DVD.

PhilipF said:
Didn't Chuck reduce the number of board members to 12.

The article says:
"The 15-member board, including Dolan, voted unanimously"

If he is incorrect on the number of members on the board, then there very likely could be some other misinformation in there.
Maybe the board voted by majority or Chuck abstained from voting, but I find it very hard to believe that he voted to shut down VOOM.

Regardless of the validity of the article, I don't think VOOM is going anywhere before the end of this month. If we get an official notice from VOOM that service will be discontinued, then and only then will I expect the service to be shut down.

There's much more going on then what happens in these meetings and it is going to take time for the whole thing to play out.

The board still has 15, the reduction will come when the board is reelected. With the 8k being put out (it was not put out the last time) it is much more official.

seandudley said:
That sure sucks! I just have component inputs, and I'm not about to replace my TV for HD-DVD, and I won't buy an HD-DVD player if I can't get better than 480p. Oh well, so much for looking forward to HD-DVD.

Check out Momitsu then, they do 1080i over component. Iive been looking into theirs and havent found any bad comments about them.

vurbano said:
Check out Momitsu then, they do 1080i over component. Iive been looking into theirs and havent found any bad comments about them.

I looked at their site, but this just upscales a regular DVD to output at 1080i, right? I would need a DVD player capable of playing HD-DVDs that outputs it at 1080i to component.

OK, now that both VOOM.COM and VOOMLLC.COM are showing the shutdown message...what do these people that posted that Voom would continue with their inside information think now?

If there is a plan to continue the service, someone needs to let it out...otherwise, I've got to make a decision on Dish or DirecTv.

C'Mon Scott, time to say something!!!!! Is there still a chance or is it finally over!!!!!

Is there a chance that a deal was made for DishNetwork to carry the Voom21?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts