[CABLEVISION] new external drive

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I noticed that when I first installed it formatted the Hard Disk. I powered down both the receiver and the Hard Disk and then powered up both and the Hard Disk was not re-formatted. So it seems like one can have multiple hard drives with it and not reformat an already formatted drive. Anyone tried this?

While you can reformat the 8300HD I have yet to find out how to reformat the external drive without hooking up to a PC.
If you happened to take your formated external Hard Drive to and hooked it up to a different 8300 that 8300 would format it as you can only use the extrnal drive with the same 8300, you can not share content on the external drive without any other 8300.
Since the infofmation on what is recorded is stored in RAM on the 8300 I wonder what would happen if the external drive is unplugged and you deleted a program that was that was on the external drive, would it disapear from the list but still be on the external drive?
I know with the external drive unplugged if you tryto play something on it you just end up at a message screen.
That leaves me to wonder if you do reformat the 8300 and it does not reformat the connected extrenal drive do you loose the space on the external because the 8300 can not see or remember what was recorded there?

It's been a month, but just wanted to confirm...

This only works with a SATA based HD? Does the Firewire link work now, or is that still disabled?

Thanks,

21pin21

Last edited:
DVRaholic said:
Just found this GREAT Deal on a 400GB Maxtor Quickview 7200 rpm Sata hard drive.
Quickview is supposed to work best with digital recorders.

http://www.superwarehouse.com/Maxtor_Quickview_400_GB_SATA_Internal_Hard_Drive/3H400F0/p/1482323

400gb should give about 50+ more hours of HD.

They also have a 500GB model available, both with Free shipping

Sean how is your external drive going ?? Any problems ??

This is an internal Hard Disk, you will probably need to buy the external casing as well.

Sean Mota said:
This is an internal Hard Disk, you will probably need to buy the external casing as well.
Yes Sean, I know I have an external casing (with cable) I bought for $40 here
http://www.addonics.com/products/combo_hdd/aechdsa35.asp
So my total cost for the 400GB Maxtor Quickview setup will be just under $250.00

is your setup working OK?
I had a friend with a regular Western Digital 250 and he was having a problem with recorded shows
dissapearing off of his list. They would record fine to the external drive but when he went to watch them a few days later
they werent there in his list. Not all would dissapear, only a few. This would only happen when he had the external drive
hooked up, Plus he has 2 SA8300HD's and when he tried it on the second box the same thing happened. This is why Im getting the Maxtor Quickview hopefully since its designed for DVR's it will make the difference!!.

Last edited:
Mine has been working well. What I do to avoid the delete because the dvr will delete after a while, is that I will select "Delete Until I decide" and the program will stay in the Hard Disk. I haven't had much a problem with it. The only complaint is that even at 50 extra HD hours, I do not have enough space. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts