Calibration charts for Mitsubishi 73" 738 3D DLP

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Here is da charts, as stated in reviews, the low color temp is best, but its too warm. grayscale was pretty darn good out of the box.

Before Gamma (setting of 2.2 in menu)
73738BeforeGamma.jpg

Final Gamma (same setting of 2.2)
73738BeforeGamma.jpg

Before Grayscale
73738BeforeGrayscale.jpg

Final Grayscale
FinalGrayscale.jpg

Before Gamut
73738BeforeGamut.jpg

After Gamut
FinalGamut.jpg

Light Output (contrast of 53)
73738FinalfL.jpg

To be honest, Natural mode with things like Brightness and color set with a Blu-ray like Spears and Munsil gets you close. Mitsu used to be pretty bad, but Kevin Miller has worked with them for a couple of years, and the sets are real good outta the box.

elway did you get this in addition to the VT30 that you have on order or did you cancel the Panny order?

Here are the charts from Gregg's calibration a couple of weeks ago.

Attachments

• March 2010 Pre 73738.pdf
    129.4 KB · Views: 464
  • March 2010 Post 73738.pdf
    124.7 KB · Views: 375
  • March 2010 CMS.pdf
    113.5 KB · Views: 345
Pretty good, but my Chroma 5 is no comparison to his meter. Looking at my final grayscale, vs his as found, mine reads blue higher than it is because his showed a blue defeciency. Now, I did do it at only a few hours, so Im not sure how much the bulb breakin changed. The chroma allows to get a better than stock grayscale, but it's not perfect and Ill prob be buying an I1 pro later this year. With three tv's now, I like to touch them up myself. I did not mess with the CMS, but it was pretty good as found and looked good to me. He calibrated it spot on, but color seemed to be a tad low, so we bumped the color control up a hair after perfecting the CMS. I think the CMS on these works pretty good, but the color decoder has some error if the chart can look perfect but the image is slightly flawed.

My Chroma also reads pretty close on gamma, but tends to be a hair lower than other meters. For $600, I can't really bitch though. It allows me to set a pretty good grayscale, pick the best gamma, and set light output on a new tv, so it's very useful. Once I get an I1 pro, I may do everything myself, not sure though. This is Gregg's 5th trip to my house, and he's does me right, so I feel no need to switch.

Why are those pdf's labeled March 2010? And can you confirm that Gregg has not upgraded to CalMAN version 4?

They say 2010 because Im a tard and I named em :)

I dont think Gregg much like Calman 4, and as someone with a meter and 4, I HATE it.

They say 2010 because Im a tard and I named em :)

LOL!

I dont think Gregg much like Calman 4, and as someone with a meter and 4, I HATE it.

As someone with several meters, CalMAN 3.7, CalMAN v4, and ChromaPure Pro, I'm with you and Gregg! ;) You just see so many people talking up version 4... and then you see one of the main THX guys using 3.7...

I prefer ChromaPure at this point. I still use 3.7 for spectro readings of screen samples though. 4.X is a clunker though.

I have yet to fire up the new version of ChromaPure. I'd like to get to it this week though, just so I can see what the changes were and if I need to change anything I do. Hopefully it won't bog down like CalMAN has with age.

I watched some of the demo's online, I really like how it moves to the next pattern selection automatically. Also, profiling a meter is quick too. Tom said my setup should ship within a week.

Also, profiling a meter is quick too.

That's one of the changes that I'm interested in - Tom switched to a four color matrix for profiling. Profiling is a selling point to myself. It's especially nice for those of us with the more accurate, yet slower meters.

My enhanced Chroma 5 never worked great, and Spectracal kinda turned a blind eye. Another reason I went with ChromaPure on this one. Tom would worked over my C5 and I could used it with the new I1, for a little less, but I just dont have a lot of faith in it.

With the filter incosistency and fluctuation with a cheap Colorimeter, profiling to an I1 every time on the actual display is the only way to go IMO. plus the Colorimeter is not good for CMS, so i assume the profile makes it accurate for CMS Gamma and Grayscale. According to Tom, once you profile, you just use the little ol Display 2 for the entire calibration.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)