Calibration results Panasonic 58" S2 Plasma

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
My good friend was looking for a set around Thanksgiving, and I turned him on to the S2. Calibrated it last night for him, after he had 354 hours on it. Turned out pretty good, except that ridiculous Gamma Panny came up with.

CIE
KevinsS2CIEChart123010.jpg

fL (90 contrast)
KevinsS2fL123010.jpg

Gamma
KevinsS2Gamma123010.jpg

Grayscale
KevinsS2Grayscale123010.jpg

No CMS, and yes the gamma is horrible. The color's get pretty close with adjustment (Red Y 21% of White Y number), because I just did a friend of mines, but Panny chose to lower gamma to get more light output.

Poor decision. Mine looks super because my video processor can adjust gamma at all 11 points, as well as having a full functioning CMS.

No CMS, and yes the gamma is horrible. The color's get pretty close with adjustment (Red Y 21% of White Y number), because I just did a friend of mines, but Panny chose to lower gamma to get more light output.

Poor decision. Mine looks super because my video processor can adjust gamma at all 11 points, as well as having a full functioning CMS.

That's the best you can do with a lot of sets these days - get luminance as close as possible. Some day all sets will have a full fledged cms with 0-100 grayscale/gamma adjustments. Until then you have to either live with it or get a video processor.

That gamma would drive me nuts. Are they thinking about going the Duo route? I just finished up my three week tour with a Duo and I'm thinking I may get one sometime soon. Depends upon how nice or not nice the tax man is going to be this year. :up

I love it so far, and unlike some sets (Toshiba), the CMS is very good. I mean it can basically perfect many parts of a underperforming display.

Gregg Loewen has a couple for sale, at a better deal than Amazon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts