Call from Dish Network Today

Shadowtester

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
Well I received a call from Dish Network to inform me that they will be telneting into my DVR522 and to make sure the phone line is plugged in. So I guess my DVR522 will get to be a test subject.

Ditto. Apparently, there will be no testing on our part. Just allowing the receiver to be monitored.

They will probably download their logging-enabled version of the 207 software. You will see a different software version displayed in the system info screen. Then, they will occassionally call in to your 522 to upload the logs that have been collected. I've noticed zero differences between the normal 207 software and the logging-enabled version. I don't know if the following is the norm for an upload, or if my 522 is a bit weird, but it went like this: (1) Call in from Dish, answer by 522, immediate reboot. (2) Second call in from Dish, answered by 522, phone connection stayed up for 13 minutes. (3) Immediate reboot after phone connection dropped. The number that called my 522 had caller id listing it as something obvious. I think it said "Echostar log upload", or something equally clear. My upload call came at 4:45pm. I had been working with Dish on this for one day prior to Scott's call for volunteers yesterday, so my times and experiences may be different from the group thing they're starting now.

I think it's great that Dish is working with the user community to troubleshoot together. Many companies don't have the foresight (or guts) to attempt this. Kudos to Dish.

Why don't they just make our specific receivers able to download the software from the satellite? Then, instead of calling the receiver, just program the software to call-in the logs like it would PPV. Seems inefficient to upload the software via phone line and to call the 522.

chaddux said:
Why don't they just make our specific receivers able to download the software from the satellite? Then, instead of calling the receiver, just program the software to call-in the logs like it would PPV. Seems inefficient to upload the software via phone line and to call the 522.
The software load DOES come down via satellite, just like normal software loads. It's the upload of logs that goes via phone line. In my case, the 522 is hit or miss as to whether it will call out when it's supposed to. That's one of the things we're troubleshooting. So we can't depend on it calling out it's logs via program control. Dish may have to call IN to force the 522 to give up the data. I'm guessing that this incoming connection to upload logs is the reason why they needed volunteers to have caller id. The 522 probably won't open it's doors for just any ol' Tom, Dick, or Harry who dials it. It probably checks the incoming phone number to make sure it's Dish that's asking! Only my hypothesis of course ... not a proven fact. And who knows exactly what's going on when they call in. Sure they could upload logs, but hopefully they can do just about anything they please remotely - snoop around, reset things, etc. ... whatever is needed to work the problem. I would think they'd be able to gain the command prompt of whatever OS this thing is built on. That capability is pretty much step one to be able to remotely troubleshoot and maintain product in the field without technician dispatch.

When the lady called today, she told me that the software would be uploaded via the phone line which is what I was basing that on.

In reference to "In my case, the 522 is hit or miss as to whether it will call out when it's supposed to. That's one of the things we're troubleshooting," do you mean that your 522 is not calling-in when its supposed to for billing purposes?

chaddux said:
When the lady called today, she told me that the software would be uploaded via the phone line which is what I was basing that on.
Well maybe something different is going on in your case. In my case, they targeted my 522 for the normal middle-of-the-night sat download.
chaddux said:
In reference to "In my case, the 522 is hit or miss as to whether it will call out when it's supposed to. That's one of the things we're troubleshooting," do you mean that your 522 is not calling-in when its supposed to for billing purposes?
Yep. And they keep trying to bill me an extra $5 per month for not being connected to the phone line. I proved I was connected by taking pictures of my incoming caller id logs and emailing the JPEGs to them in a complaint email. I am working with Dish to try to nail down this problem, as well as some of the other "standard" ones I have - audio dropouts, lip sync issues, etc. 207 has been better for me than 206. I still see problems, but it's significantly better.

I never use PPV, and I don't know the reason the 522 needs to phone home routinely, but evidently it does.

Well I checked last night before going to bed the software version I had which was L207 and I have had no call over night. This morning I checked the software version its now BMB1GALD so the software must have came over the Satellite not the phone. Only time will tell what extent of manipulation they can do with the box remotely my only hope is they can fix the bugs the audio drop outs and GOD really bites.

haertig said:
Yep. And they keep trying to bill me an extra $5 per month for not being connected to the phone line. I proved I was connected by taking pictures of my incoming caller id logs and emailing the JPEGs to them in a complaint email.

YES! Proof. Ever since getting it, I've been billed for the extra fee for not having it connected. It has been connected and I can use DISH Home features which require a phone line. I have had the fee removed after calling in but they are saying the receiver needs to be replaced. I noticed that mine connected for the first time on September 18th and did not reconnect until October 18th (according to the receiver's own logs). I suspect that it will connect again on November 18th which will prove that, despite what DISH thinks, if you dont buy any PPV, it is only connecting once a month, not every day. I was talking with someone in advanced tech and she had never heard of this problem. Apparently, she is either stupid or not taking many calls. Glad to know that it is a known issue.

Shadowtester said:
This morning I checked the software version its now BMB1GALD so the software must have came over the Satellite not the phone.

Ditto. Apparently the woman that called me (who barely spoke English) did not know what she was talking about.

Alright, today, my 522 has locked up TWICE. One time, the picture froze and it wouldnt respond for about 15 seconds. Then, a few minutes ago, I try to start a recording and it won't respond to any remote commands, then the picture freezes. It wouldn't do anything and didn't resume. I had to do a hard reboot. I wasn't told that this testing software was going to lock up my receiver. It was supposed to just passively monitor and upload logs.

Hey gang...
I'm kind of annoyed right now. I got up this morning and had software version BMB1GALD-N, just like Shadowtester. All day, everytime I went to record something, or even set a timer, the box completely froze up - it totally stopped responding!
After a soft reboot, it was okay again, until another timer tried to kick in.

So I thought I was a test subject, because I sent my info to Scott and he said he sent it in, but I did NOT get a call like you guys.

I had to call 800 333-DISH and the tech support lady didn't know ANYTHING about it... she even called another department and they didn't know either! She suggested I send my receiver in for a switch-out. *sigh* Why do I know more than THEM?!

So, is this happening to anyone else? I don't mind being a tester, provided they don't wipe my HD, and I'm able to still watch TV as normal (which I can't now!).
I emailed CEO@dishnetwork.com, but I don't have too much faith there.
Anyone else?

The lady that called me identified herself as being from "Advanced Tech" but everyone there probably wouldn't know about it either. What I didn't think about was getting a direct number of someone I can reach if it goes horribly, horribly wrong.

Unh. Has anybody checked their SysInfo screen for a new phone number?

It would be the obvious place to look - but maybe too obvious for E* to use?

I did - it hasn't changed. THAT would be useful on the part of Dish - therefore they aren't going to give us anything but the standard number with the drones for techs!

Well, I was watching a recorded show about 30 minutes ago, and a weekly timer kicked in. I was holding my breath as it got to be 8:59pm, but it looks like it fired with no problem. It didn't lock up the box, and I can still watch TV.
I know Dish didn't see my message (or did they!? lol), so I'm wondering why it started working all the sudden. I hadn't done a reboot for a few hours.

You know, I was thinking about it earlier too, and it's really not even the fact that they are messing up the box (temporarily I hope). It's more of the fact that they didn't notify me like they were supposed to, and they haven't released ANY info on this project. Is a web page I can check for status updates too much to ask? A phone number??
Calling the regular support number is a joke. They don't even know about this! All in all, I'm just irritated. I know they're chugging along on this project in a room somewhere as we speak, but it's affecting certain users - PAYING users, I might add. If I got the service for free, I'd be willing to help out 100%!

So, this is for Dish: please get your act together! Inform us of the software changes you're doing to our boxes... you never know; we might know more about this stuff than you think. We're not run-of-the-mill Joe Smith users here. Be frank with us (even if it's not good!) and we'll be much more patient and willing to put up with a bug or two.

Thanks for letting me vent, guys. :)

I just love the fact that they are misbilling people for the phone line fee and saying there is no problem when, obviously, there is a problem that is known to someone in the tech department.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)