Can anyone explain the logic in this?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you find that the MicroHD power supply is kaput, I probably have an extra one around here. Would be willing to ship it to you.

As for making sense of lightning strikes, forget it. Mine last year got several things on different circuits in the house and not all things on a given circuit bought the farm either.

I use one of these to power my MicroHD as a dedicated UPS. I also have another one for my Tivo. Correct voltage, and proper plug so no modification needed. It's actually a 12volt 3amp UPS, and it can power the MicroHD for over 6 hours in the case of an outage. I bought mine on Ebay as NOS for $19.95 SHIPPED. It seems many people get them when they install internet, but don't use them on their routers: http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-BU3DC001-12V/

372.jpg

Reactions: Titanium
No I don't, but I think my wife's brother might. Even if I had one, not certain how to use it. If that ends up being all that's wrong with the MicroHD, what does that mean as far as repairing it?
Sorry I disappeared before,it's raining and having DSL and phone issues.
Anyway, see if you can borrow the meter and the brother in law to check a couple of things.Check the power supply and he should be able to check the coax for either a short or an open.
For the 4DTV the 2 analogs left are ch 9 on "C4",shopping and ch7 on "C3" Cspan.
Also if you have home owners insurance and the deductible isn't too high it should cover lightning hits.

If you find that the MicroHD power supply is kaput, I probably have an extra one around here. Would be willing to ship it to you.

As for making sense of lightning strikes, forget it. Mine last year got several things on different circuits in the house and not all things on a given circuit bought the farm either.

I think it may be the power supply after all, hopefully. I just found a power supply to a Windstream DSL modem when I had DSL a few years back. Unfortunately the label got worn off the power supply and I can't see the rating. But anyway, I took a chance since it did fit into the MicrroHD to see what would happen. And sure enough the green power light on the MicroHD came back on. I of course unplugged it within a second or two, in the event the power supply is the wrong rating. Maybe that's good sign as well then? As to the tv though, I wouldn't know how to test that since it doesn't use a power supply but a regular chord instead. It's a Magnavox lcd tv, not real old though.

Been using those Belkins for a LONG time. Excellent re-deployment of a 12-volt only UPS.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...in-fta-12-volt-receivers.340763/#post-3507972
Some members have posted other uses, too in that thread.

Going to deploy one on our audio switcher in the radio station, too!

You and that thread are the ones that put me on to the Belkins, but I forgot where I first heard about them. Thanks! Besides the one I bought on Ebay still sealed in the box, I bought another one from a junk shop for $4.00. Not a thing wrong with it after charging.

That DSL power supply I just found, I went ahead and took a chance and see if the MicroHD would boot up. Hooked it the Sony tv in here and also found out that the HDMI cable is alright after all. The MicroHD booted up like normal, could get into all the menus, all the settings were still intact. Haven't had a chance to check the lnbf though, still haven't rounded up another 50' or longer RG6. Plus I still don't know about the power supply I found. Apparently it's powering the MicroHD up, yet I still have no clue as to the ratings of it.

Reactions: Titanium
They are excellent devices, those Belkins. TOUGH to open for modifications. I did open one, and added a second output for 12 volts. I use one on my Amiko FTA receiver, and one with the two outputs on my TabloTV PVR and the antenna's power injector, so the PVR can continue to operate. I've seen them modified to have a 12 volt automotive style power outlet installed in one side or the other, then standard devices can be plugged-in, or you can use a USB charging adapter, too.

The belkin boxes are showing up more and more, and so far, all of my finds have had good batteries. Given the specialized nature of these, even when batteries go, probably a good thing to replace!

That DSL power supply I just found, I went ahead and took a chance and see if the MicroHD would boot up. Hooked it the Sony tv in here and also found out that the HDMI cable is alright after all. The MicroHD booted up like normal, could get into all the menus, all the settings were still intact. Haven't had a chance to check the lnbf though, still haven't rounded up another 50' or longer RG6. Plus I still don't know about the power supply I found. Apparently it's powering the MicroHD up, yet I still have no clue as to the ratings of it.
My Westel DSL router/wifi uses a 12 volt wallwart so you're probably safe on that front.The only concern is if it has enough amps to run the lnbf.

Reactions: highskies
As to the DSL power supply I found, even though I couldn't make out the ratings because the label had gotten worn out, the model number could still be made out though. According to Google then....MU05-N090060-A1 AC Power Supply Adapter Input: 100-240V AC 50/60Hz 0.3A Output: 9V DC 0.6A.

Doesn't look like it's going to work with the MicroHD after all, meaning in the long run, and especially the fact I don't even have an lnbf hooked up yet, plus this power supply is not even 12v on top of that, but 9v instead. I think I have a cpl more power supplies in some boxes with other things in my bedroom closet. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one that might do the job.

My Westel DSL router/wifi uses a 12 volt wallwart so you're probably safe on that front.The only concern is if it has enough amps to run the lnbf.

If nothing else, we have a Walmart not even a half a mile from here. If they sell power supplies there and that they are maybe 10 bucks or less, maybe we can afford that. Would you happen to know what I should be looking for at Walmart as far as power supplies then, such as a specific model?

12Vdc / 2amp (2000mA) with 6.3mm X 2.0mm positive tip plug.

12-15Vdc at 2-3amp range will be fine. The plug size can be slightly different as well. Take the microHD along for test fitting. The polarity is critical!

Goodwill usually has bins of them for 50 cents or $1.

This ^^^^^^. If you go the Goodwill/Salvation Army route, make sure you bring a magnifying glass so that you can read the numbers on the power supply.

No Goodwill close, but there happens to be a Salvation Army Thrift Store at the same location as the Super Walmart a half a mile from here. It's just across the street from Walmart. It's a fairly good sized thrift store, though I've never been in there myself, my wife has and was just there yesterday as a matter of fact.

As to the DSL power supply I found, even though I couldn't make out the ratings because the label had gotten worn out, the model number could still be made out though. According to Google then....MU05-N090060-A1 AC Power Supply Adapter Input: 100-240V AC 50/60Hz 0.3A Output: 9V DC 0.6A.
Doesn't look like it's going to work with the MicroHD after all, meaning in the long run, and especially the fact I don't even have an lnbf hooked up yet, plus this power supply is not even 12v on top of that, but 9v instead. I think I have a cpl more power supplies in some boxes with other things in my bedroom closet. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one that might do the job.
If it's the power supply don't forget about bpalone's offer in post 21. :)

12Vdc / 2amp (2000mA) with 6.3mm X 2.0mm positive tip plug.

12-15Vdc at 2-3amp range will be fine. The plug size can be slightly different as well. Take the microHD along for test fitting. The polarity is critical!

Goodwill usually has bins of them for 50 cents or $1.

Looking through one of the boxes in the closet, I managed to find the following power supply thusfar. Don't think it's going to work since the polarity seems to be the opposite of what the MicroHD requires. The specs on the label say...120v AC 60Hz 10w....12v DC 500mA + followed by a symbol then -.

When it comes to power supplies, I admit I'm basically lost. But I'm already assuming the polarity is not right in order to work with the MicroHD, correct? Plus 500mA wouldn't do the trick anyway, right?

Even if the + and - at the plug was wrong you could fix that by cutting the wire a few inches below the plug, stripping the wires and hooking them up in reverse - done it myself in a pinch. ;) Don't think that 500ma is gonna cut it though. :(

I've gone through all the boxes now and found one more power supply. It says output 12VDC 800mA - +. I'm guessing on this one the 800mA is not going to cut it, correct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts