Can FTA dish/LNB + DirecTV Receiver get 95 program ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

xrf1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Hi,

Can somebody help me ? I am a rookie in this area !

I currently use a 30" (76cm) WineGard dish and a SamSung DSR 3700 receiver to watch FTA program in Telstar 5 (97W).

I also has a DirecTV receiver DSX 5350 from Phillips (I were a DirecTV subs, until 2 years ago, when I decided to switch to FTA).

Here is my case:
1) DirecTV offers SBTN (international language) program, which transmits from the Galaxy 3C in 95W.
2) I only want to subscibe to DirecTV Basic program (9.99$ basic fee + 14.99$ SBTN fee = 25$ total cost). And I don't need any other programs (like Total Choice, Preferred Choice, local, ...) at all (ie. I don't need 101, 119, ...).

My question is: Can I use the current 30" FTA disk + its LNB + the Phillips DSX5350 to get the SBTN channel (2072) ?

Here is what I tried so far:
0) I use the Winegard dish + its LNB (wideband ?) + the Phillips receiver (not the Samsung 3700, which I think only good for FTA).
1) My zip code is 85225 => Azimuth = 151 (ie. compass = 139) and Elevation = 47
2) On the Phillips receiver, installation screen, I pick transponder 15 (this is what LyngSat says reserved for SBTN).
3) I adjust the dish azimuth & elevation a lot, but signal strength is always zero !!

Does anybody know what I am wrong ?

Can mix and match (use FTA dish/LNB + DirecTV receiver) like what I did will work ?

What I suspect is that SBTN on transponder 15 is Hor. polarization, but the DirecTV receiver (which always works in LHCP or RHCP) doesn't know about this. So the voltage (13/18V) it sends out to the LNB is incorrect, the LNB confuses, and therefore no signal at all ??

BTW, I know DirecTV require the 36" disk to get the SBTN in 95, but I guess probably 30" is OK.

Hope your guys can help me out. Thanks a lot !

Call Directv and see what they will offer you to become a subscriber again you might be lucky and get a free install offer with a year commitment.

I did. They says if I select PreferChoice (39.99) and commit 1 year, I will get equipment & installation free.
If I select the Basic program (24.99/month), I have to pay 150 for equipment & installation.
Since I rarely watch sport/movie, I don't know why I should select the Preferred Choice package. I hope if somehow I can reuse my current stuffs (FTA dish/LNB/receiver and DirecTV dish/LNB/receiver), I can save a lot !

xrf
the dish will work. Its the receiver I'm worried about. You might want to call Direct or a retailer and ask if that receiver will work with 95 satellite

Your are right. They said the receiver is not compatible (???)

That's what I don't understand. Why I cannot connect the receiver to the PC, and download the upgrade, either from D* or Philips ?

Except if this is a hardware problem. Probably it is.

BTW, do you think I have to point the dish to (101+95)/2 = 98 to get both the 101 and Galaxy 3C ?

Thanks !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)