Can I add a 2nd OTA antenna?

RaiderZA

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
I have Dish network and have an OTA HD antenna installed to pick up local HD channel.
These are the channels I receive OTA. :
Type Call Sign Channel Network City State Compass Miles Freq
uhf WQEC-DT 27.1 PBS QUINCY IL 38° 6.3 34
vhf WGEM 10 NBC QUINCY IL 42° 4.1 10
uhf WGEM-DT 10.1 NBC QUINCY IL 42° 4.1 54
uhf WTJR-DT 32.1 IND QUINCY IL 33° 5.3 32
vhf KHQA 7 CBS HANNIBAL MO 31° 5.3 7
uhf KHQA-DT 6.1 CBS HANNIBAL MO 31° 5.3 29
uhf WTJR 16 TBN QUINCY IL 33° 5.3 16
uhf WQEC 27 PBS QUINCY IL 38° 6.3 27

I pick up the above both analog and DTV channels quite easily. However, I cannot get the ABC signal on my current orientation

vhf KTVO 3 ABC KIRKSVILLE MO 306° 70.3 3

I do not believe it is broadcasting in HD, but I want to get it OTA because it is also not available via Dishnetwork's locals package and they won't give me a waiver.
My current antenna is installed in my attic (I think its a Winegard). Can I add a second antenna and combine the signals in the attic into one cable?
If so how?, and can anyone recommend an antenna? The guy at Radio Shack suggested one of theirs that has a 90 mile range on VHF.

It can be done with commercial grade equipment. Its called Antenna Stacking.

Basically you use a special combiner and then you install your traps so your not combining the same channel from both antennas.

You see alot of this type of stuff at Hotels on a master distribution system.

mserrano said:
You can add Channel 3 by buying a Winegard VF-3000. It combines Channel 3 from a separate antenna with the rest of your channels (for indoor use only). You can buy it at http://www.warrenelectronics.com

It shouldn't cost more than $20, plus shipping.

Can I still add a pre-amp with the combined antenna setup? If so, how do i connect it, with 2 OTAs combined? What kind should I use?
Also, I found out that this station also broadcasts in HD on UHF 33. So, if I use a VHF/UHF OTA as my second antenna pointed to that tower, will the Winegard VF-3000 still only allow channel 3 through, or will I get any UHF from the 2nd antenna?
Thanks.

Last edited:
KTVO-DT is only broadcasting at 87kW on ch33, so it is very doubtful that you can receive it from 70 miles away.

Why cant you get locals by satellite, especially ABC, you are almost in a digital white area for ABC - NUTTIN'!

Looks like now you best bet is a tuned yagi on ch3 pointing at Kirksville with a seperate coax and a switch, because CM jointennas are for channels 6-13 and UHF, I don't see one for low VHF. Maybe there is a commercial model out there, but at what price?

I saw on AVSForum that CM did make low VHF jointennas, but their band rejection was only 5dB (practically useless). You might try a regular splitter/combiner and see if you get too much multipath from having 2 antennas.

Jim5506 said:
Why cant you get locals by satellite, especially ABC, you are almost in a digital white area for ABC - NUTTIN'!/QUOTE]

I can't get ABC via sat because Dish Network and the TV station are having a p*****g contest and I'M losing:mad:

KTVO channel 3 is broadcasting in HD. It is on channel 33-1. They are also broadcasting a music channel 0n channel 33-2. As previously stated, they are only broadcasting at 87kW and I live around 35-40 miles from the tower. At times it is difficult for me to pick up their signal.

Need advice on hardware to buy to receive DBS on my computer...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)