Can I get CT locals if I live in Monroe, CT 06468 by fake chaniging service address?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

AredsoxFan

Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
CT
I am considering dumping cable. Directv local channels for me are NY as I live in fairfield county CT. I understand the whole Federal thing about assigning Fairfield County to be a NY market. It is a pain in the butt and unfair but it is what it is.

However, I read some forums and was told by a Directv sales peron :rolleyes:. There is a way around this. A few days after install all I had to do was call up directv and correct my "Service" address to another county like New haven. I have relatives in NEw Haven who do not have directv so I could always use their address.

My question is has anyone done this? Does it work? I realize I am roilling the dice with a contract with Dirtectv, but if it has been done succesfully by others I amy take the chance.

I am considering dumping cable. Directv local channels for me are NY as I live in fairfield county CT. I understand the whole Federal thing about assigning Fairfield County to be a NY market. It is a pain in the butt and unfair but it is what it is.

However, I read some forums and was told by a Directv sales peron :rolleyes:. There is a way around this. A few days after install all I had to do was call up directv and correct my "Service" address to another county like New haven. I have relatives in NEw Haven who do not have directv so I could always use their address.

My question is has anyone done this? Does it work? I realize I am roilling the dice with a contract with Dirtectv, but if it has been done succesfully by others I amy take the chance.

It has been done by many. You obviously know the ramifications, so, good luck! BTW, why not just root for the Yanks?:p

It's been done for years by many people. Many use a gas station or such for an address. just do online billing, but know if you have a problem with your equipment you are on your own. Can't get a service call where you don't live.

The legal way to "get around this" is when you get DirecTV, buy an AM21 Off Air Digital Tuner from DirecTV's website (they're only 50 bucks plus 3 dollars shipping) and put up an antenna pointing towards the second market you want to watch. I live in Flint, MI market and with my AM21 and antenna I can also watch ALL of Detroit market stations. 2 markets in 1 (plus digital subchannels for both; which wouodn't work with the fake service address) is pretty great! Way better than cable here in which half of the Detroit stations are unavailable and the other half are blacked out most of the time due to the stupid "syndication exclusivity" rules.

Hey TomCat

with my AM21 and antenna I can also watch ALL of Detroit markets stations.

How does the AM 21 interface with DTV?. Does the DTV signal route through the AM21? I'm guessing there is a coax input to the AM21 for a rooftop antenna.

I would also assume with the AM21, the local stations show up in the guide and can be recorded on the DVR. Is this all correct?

Hey TomCat

How does the AM 21 interface with DTV?. Does the DTV signal route through the AM21? I'm guessing there is a coax input to the AM21 for a rooftop antenna.

I would also assume with the AM21, the local stations show up in the guide and can be recorded on the DVR. Is this all correct?

Yes, the antenna hooks into the AM21 from the antenna's coax, then it hooks into the DVR or regular box via a usb cord which is included, so nothing extra to buy.

Yes, all programs and channels show up on the guide and can be recorded just like channels received through your satellite dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)