Can I hooking up 2 TIVOs in series or in parallel?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DHarleymann

Original poster
Apr 25, 2006
See if you guys can help out-
I've had to replace my old TIVO unit- for lack of a better word, the sound card has gone out, I get intermitted sound. I have about 40-50 hrs recorded on the old unit and I don't want to lose, I I'll watch them later. I have received a new unit from DTV yesterday. Is there away to hook both unit us in a series or parallel to be able to record on both and play from both?
Thanks
DW

Basically, no.

The only way to save the old programming is to put the hard drive from the old unit into the new unit, then dub the programs to a DVD recorder. If you do this you will NOT be able to record on the new unit because the hard drive is linked to the old unit. Is there an alternate way to get audio from the old unit? If stereo isn't important, you might do something like use the RF output to a demodulator of some kind for audio only, and use the video output that's still good. That at least, avoids the hard drive swap and saves your programs.

Also, as I remember, those units had two sets of audio outputs. Have you tried both?

If you are talking about copying the recorded shows from one unit to the other, then basically no.

If you are talking about using either receiver to watch a recorded show from one TV, then yes you can by using different inputs to the TV, or using a manual coax switch between the DVR's and the TV.

As far as being able to continue to record on both, you will need to run additional lines to the 2nd unit. You can not split the incoming satellite signal.

If you disconnect the D-TiVo from both sat and phone before you deactivate, you can still view the previously recorded shows, you just won't be recording any new shows on that unit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)