Can I just say no to SWM

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stonecold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
Directv La La Land
So saturday is my Install date to say good by to TurboHD and Hello to Beyonce shaking her butt HD. i plan on getting rid of the 2 standard boxes asap, and Ihave one Direct Tivo that was giving to me ages ago that in NY that I am having shipped down. and I figure I buy another one. Since there legacy boxes they are not going to work with swm or at least that is what I am reading. Can I just say no to SWM so I can keep the ability to add my direct tivo to the mix?

Why wouldn't legacy boxes work with SWM? I'm just curious cause I hadn't heard that. I hope someone who has tried it will chime in.

The SWM LNB doesn't not have any legacy support on it, only the SWM8 and discontinued SWM5 have some legacy outputs on it.

The SWM LNB doesn't not have any legacy support on it, only the SWM8 and discontinued SWM5 have some legacy outputs on it.
Yeah. I can't use my old R15 SD DVR because it isn't compatible with the new SWM. I'm not that upset though because I'd prefer to just have the 1 line Non-BBC connection, but yeah the new SWM LNB I think is used only on modern HD equipment. When I set up my moving connection they were going to give me the older SWM until I told them that I wasn't going to use the old DVR so they gave me the newer one (and of course in true D* style, the first one they put up didn't work.)

Just because you know nothing of the DTV system does not disqualify you from a management position.

Can you say "Call Center?"

Joe

Well oher then being totally annoyed with this installer.

I had to basically explain swm and he was kinda clueless and figured out what it was. Then he said no problem I told him that I had two direct tivo units that I use to have for NFL ST back in my other residence in NY. He said no problem He put a 4 x 8 switch .... no switch apparently he decided to be an ass and just leave me with a built in one and the way he ran the lines I know know if I could easily put one in my self.

Well oher then being totally annoyed with this installer.

I had to basically explain swm and he was kinda clueless and figured out what it was. Then he said no problem I told him that I had two direct tivo units that I use to have for NFL ST back in my other residence in NY. He said no problem He put a 4 x 8 switch .... no switch apparently he decided to be an ass and just leave me with a built in one and the way he ran the lines I know know if I could easily put one in my self.

Huh? How many lines were you connecting on this install? If it was less than four total lines needed, then a switch is not authorized on the work order so the tech shouldn't have put it in.

Huh? How many lines were you connecting on this install? If it was less than four total lines needed, then a switch is not authorized on the work order so the tech shouldn't have put it in.

A total of 4 lines were ran. I dont care if he was authorize to do it or not, dont say your going to do something and then not do it. I told him my intentions he said no problem I was busy running around I did not have the time to sit there and supervise.

also the ground block is not grounded. I would of been happy if he would of put the wires where I wanted. As if he would of put the wires where I wanted where there was existing rg6qs there anyway. I would nt be so unhappy! I would just go buy a damn legacy switch, and do it my self. But again dont say your going to do something and not do it.

Ive never had a D* installer do a competent job. NEVER. I have always had to go behind them and rework their bologna. Needless to say Ive learned to always run your own drops and save the hassle and their ridiculous fees.

My first 3LNB install wasnt grounded
MY first 5LNB dish wasnt aligned properly for the new satellites, the installer said he hadnt been trained on how to do it yet.
When I added a 2nd HD DVR and multiswitch this happened:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-technical-discussions/143003-amusing-d-upgrade.html

Last edited:
Ive never had a D* installer do a competent job. NEVER. I have always had to go behind them and rework their bologna. Needless to say Ive learned to always run your own drops and save the hassle and their ridiculous fees.

Worst Part is I had all my drops preset. With outdoor digicon crimps. instead of bringing the wires down to where I wanted where all my drops when he cut my lines and spliced his own with mine with double ended female f connectors.

Only thing I wanted him to do was to run one line in to the living room so there was two fro the hd dvr.

You are better off doing everything for them before they arrive and just looking at them as dish mounters and box installers.

You are better off doing everything for them before they arrive and just looking at them as dish mounters and box installers.

I was running around trying to get ready for a party and he decided to take advantage of that fact.

Called DTV told them politely that they needed to I had asked him to do. The wiring was not grounded properly. he half undid my dp44 switch which I told him to leave alone. So the woman said she made a new work order and there going to fix everything and while I only need a 6x8 multiswithc there putting in a 6 x 16 to make sure they never have worry about having connections to there service....

So they are sending out a tech to fix the first techs problems and I am going to watch them like a hawk.

So the woman said she made a new work order and there going to fix everything and while I only need a 6x8 multiswithc there putting in a 6 x 16 to make sure they never have worry about having connections to there service....

Good luck with that. All for free i bet. Me thinks you will be calling them back.

Good luck with that. All for free i bet. Me thinks you will be calling them back.

I offered to pay for the switch, but I also said that I would cancel if they did not reattached my dp44 that they left half hanging and fix the grounding issue and run the cables where they belonged.

I was not happy with that. after 10 years of Dish Network I never really had a botched job till now. Late ass Installers yes but not one where the guy said he would do everything to my satifaction and then take advantage of the fact I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

Well after the 2nd installer and came out, I did have to fight with him as his work order did not show it but direct tv work order did . But in I expected sh*t so a local dealer was clearing install inventory and bought a 6x8 zinwell switch for 20 bucks brande new. I yelled and screamed and direct tv, the installer put a 6x16 out he installed it and then I uninstalled it behind him and put the 6x8 there and have the 6x16 in a box incase I ever need it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)