Can I put up a new dish without a 12/24 month contract?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Simple enough explanation: Snowbird.

Two homes - one account. Only one used at one time.

It didn't seem like you were trying to accomplish this in your first post. Still don't believe this is the real story here. Why not just say this in your first post if this is really what is going on?

It didn't seem like you were trying to accomplish this in your first post. Still don't believe this is the real story here. Why not just say this in your first post if this is really what is going on?

Well, you do get different answers from different people at Direct. The answer I got from Direct was that to put a new dish up was $49.95 - no new replacement reciever- just the dish. But this would initiate a 24 month contract - just for the new dish. I own all my receivers. I have HD in one home and the other home is the original dish with the Hughes 5500.

One can purchase almost any dish on the auction sites - new and used.

My newer receiver is an HD receiver that I use at my warm weather home. No contract. At some point I will be taking my HD receiver back with me to my cold weather home. Alas, I have no dish for HD at this home. So I need a more modern dish. But at no time will I sign up for a 24 month contract. So I may put up a newer dish at my cold weather home and use the HD receiver there - after I get a newer HDTV at this location.

So my original question was - can I just put up a new (or used) Slimline 5 to replace my older dish at this location without contacting Direct. And not get locked into a 24 month contract.

I'm a little technically challenged and I don't know if Direct has to be contacted every time a dish is replaced by a private contractor or by myself.

Some here do all their installations themselves. And I can't be the only one on the universe that is attempting to do this.

So my original question is does Direct need to be contacted every time any dish is replaced?

Well, you do get different answers from different people at Direct. The answer I got from Direct was that to put a new dish up was $49.95 - no new replacement reciever- just the dish. But this would initiate a 24 month contract - just for the new dish. I own all my receivers. I have HD in one home and the other home is the original dish with the Hughes 5500.

One can purchase almost any dish on the auction sites - new and used.

My newer receiver is an HD receiver that I use at my warm weather home. No contract. At some point I will be taking my HD receiver back with me to my cold weather home. Alas, I have no dish for HD at this home. So I need a more modern dish. But at no time will I sign up for a 24 month contract. So I may put up a newer dish at my cold weather home and use the HD receiver there - after I get a newer HDTV at this location.

So my original question was - can I just put up a new (or used) Slimline 5 to replace my older dish at this location without contacting Direct. And not get locked into a 24 month contract.

I'm a little technically challenged and I don't know if Direct has to be contacted every time a dish is replaced by a private contractor or by myself.

Some here do all their installations themselves. And I can't be the only one on the universe that is attempting to do this.

So my original question is does Direct need to be contacted every time any dish is replaced?

No.

Go buy a dish and put it up at your other location and be done with it.

Originally you were giving us a story about needing a Slimline dish with a SD box, thats what threw us all. Had you told us what was going on from the beginning, you would have gotten a correct answer long ago.

Originally you said you had two Hughes recvrs., these don't do HD at all.

In your latest post you mention having a HD recvr (which DOES require a Slimline dish).

See the confusion ?

Thanks for the response.

But I think my original question was short enough and appropriate.

I have one residence with two Huges 5500's. With an old dish. All my question was - can I put up a new dish without any contract. That's it.

And I think I stated that some time in the future I might add an HD receiver but not presently. And, that is current and true today. And by adding an HD receiver - remove one of the older Hughes 5500's.

I didn't mention a 2nd home as some members here are lucky to have one home and some don't have any. The 2nd home already has a SWM dish. But is that information needed to answer my simple question?

But thanks to all that have answered. I do appreciate the input.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)