can I record from an antenna?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TomCat4680

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Mt. Morris, Michigan
is there a way to plug my antenna into my DirecTV HR22 DVR and record OTA channels? There's some shows (Jeopardy!) on out of market channels in HD that are only in SD on the in market channels available on DirecTV. So is this possible? The HR22 has a second coax input labeled "sat 2", could I use that input somehow to do this? Would the box be abel to read the OTA signal and program data, etc?

The HR22 can't record OTA, but you can get an AM21 OTA tuner free from D* if there are HD channels in your area that D* doesn't show. The AM21 is essentially a digital receiver that integrates with the electronic program guide (EPG). When you connect the AM21 you scan for channels in your area, and they will show up on the EPG. Then you should be able to record them. Good luck!

ok I'm looking at the DirecTV site and I can't see to find the place to order the AM21. Do you have a link to place my order at?

Once you logon to your account needs to show a HR21/22/23 on it for it to show up. If it's there you should then be able to select Add Kits & Equipment for the bottom of the left hand column .

so how does it work, it'll show anything the antenna recives on my EPG, including digtial subchannels, and I can record all of them just like on my dish?

so how does it work, it'll show anything the antenna recives on my EPG, including digtial subchannels, and I can record all of them just like on my dish?

Yes, however instead of scanning it uses a database and guide data. If your local is in the database correctly, no problem. Sometimes subchannels don't get on the list and there have been a few issues with stations switching their digital channels to the old analog frequencies. Directv gets the data from Tribune Media, who gets it from the stations. The system mostly works, however.

You are still limited to recording one channel while watching another or recording two channels (any combination of satellite and OTA).

so it knows where I live? I'm in the Flint market and I want to add Detroit market channels to my DVR via the antenna and AM21, will it let me do this?

so it knows where I live? I'm in the Flint market and I want to add Detroit market channels to my DVR via the antenna and AM21, will it let me do this?

When you go through the setup for the AM21 you ented the zip codes for a primary and if necessary a secondary market so you put your Flint zip and then add a zip that's in the Detroit market and it will download the guide data for both DMA's ATSC channels.

Yes, however instead of scanning it uses a database and guide data. If your local is in the database correctly, no problem. Sometimes subchannels don't get on the list and there have been a few issues with stations switching their digital channels to the old analog frequencies. Directv gets the data from Tribune Media, who gets it from the stations. The system mostly works, however.
Successfully downloaded all the secondary channels in the Des Moines market, which I could not get w/o the AM21, much less record!

Just call D* and explain your situation, you should have no problem getting one for little or no cost

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)