Can I use my Uniden UST4500 VideocypherII Plus for today's C/Ku bands?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Drwatson269

Original poster
Dec 10, 2011
Michigan, USA
What do I need, to be able use my Uniden UST4500 VideocypherII Plus for C/Ku band in today's technology?
Would I have to get a new LNB, an add-on unit...? I have no idea what this would require.

I have a 7 1/2 ft Unimax Unimesh dish in South Central Michigan.

other than a dish mover and for a handful (literally) of analog channels thats about all its good for

Most everything has gone digital and to get the free to air stuff you would need a DVB receiver

Thank you Iceberg!

I guess I should have been more complete with my info and that I want to get the digital free to air transmissions.

My current system: Uniden UST4500 VideocypherII Plus receiver, and Channel Master Module -- 7 1/2 ft Unimax Unimesh dish with Proband Superjack Drive, Chaparrel Rotor, Cal Amp LNB. I live in South Central Michigan.

What additions/replacements to my current system would it require to get the digital free to air stuff and/or 4DTv? And, could you point me in the direction where I could get them? What other alternatives are there?

Thanks for your patience.

What additions/replacements to my current system would it require to get the digital free to air stuff and/or 4DTv? And, could you point me in the direction where I could get them? What other alternatives are there?

Your going to need to buy either a FTA receiver for the free stuff FTA channels or if you want H2H programming a used 4DTV receiver for programming from Programming Center | 4DTV Programming but you'll have to pay then for the programing, no other options.

Your cheapest route is probably an openbox from China. They're about $100. A v-box to move your dish would be about 35-40 bucks. You can use your old wire from the receiver to the dish -- just lose the polarotor connection because your new receiver would automatically switch for you. A good cheap LNB at Ivy Stone Place is $20. And that's c-band and ku. And the bigger the dish, the better. Happy satellite hunting! People ask me about fta. I tell them it's kind of like shortwave tv. It is sort of offbeat, but it is free.

The Uniden will make a good dish mover, that is what I use mine for. If you want to keep your LNB set up the Uniden can also switch polarity. There are a some DVB receivers that have polarity control, none have the dish moving function. You will want to get a receiver capable of 8psk DVB-S2 for HD content as the post recommends above.
-C.

At this time, I wouldn't waste $100 on the Chinese openbox as SatAV will soon be releasing the MicroHD within a very short time. This unit will have US Support. There's NONE with a Chinese openbox. (There is a McroHD thread.) I think the run of the Openbox series (S9 - S10) is about to END. To "get your feet wet" i'd look for a cheap (under 30 bucks) DVB-S receiver, a C2 LNBF. Then add the MicroHD when it's available.

What do I need, to be able use my Uniden UST4500 VideocypherII Plus for C/Ku band in today's technology? Would I have to get a new LNB, an add-on unit...? I have no idea what this would require. I have a 7 1/2 ft Unimax Unimesh dish in South Central Michigan.
No VC2 anymore for home systems.

I wonder how close you are to the Indiana line. Being new to this, you don't need to spend money just to "check it out". I have a few mpeg2 units I would donate to the cause and check out your system. Many times all one needs to do is hook it up. If you like what you see, then spend the money and get a new receiver. I even have an extra feed setup.

Thanks to all for the input. I had an life changing injury and lost the thread back in 2009. But...getting back to it - are you telling me i can use my Uniden UST4500 for the dish moverand to change polarity, and just connect a DVB-S2 (or more current unit) for FTA? What would you suggest?

That will work. Suggest the microHD* (Click on SatAV 'card' on top of page or purchase on 'bay) Also suggest a splitter, 'one port power passing'** so the old receiver can power the LNB. (some don't like only 13v).
Your existing receiver will move the dish, select which polarity the feed is set to, and power the LNB.
*support right here.
**The DVB receiver would connect to the power blocking port. http://www.satelliteav.com/shop/?ws_pid=645&ws_cat=429
Sorry to hear about your injury.. Welcome back.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Looks like my ku went poof on my 6 footer

C Band Still Alive?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)