Can I use Smart 3D TV features with my Hopper?

Snoozer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
I've been looking at purchasing a Samsung UN65F7100 SMART 3D TV on a Black Friday deal, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips about using a smart TV with a hopper. Would I be wasting my money with this particular TV because the Hopper will negate (or perhaps even duplicate) many of the great features that come with this TV. This TV comes with Bluetooth, Wi Fi, Ethernet Web Browser, Voice Interaction, Smart Phone Interaction, (and RVU for Direct TV only). Any input would be appreciated.

Yeh, most of the features you listed would be in addition to those of the Hopper.

The features are on the TV, so the source of another signal is irrelevant, you get the Smart TV features whether you use Dish, DirecTV or OTA.

You will have to connect the TV or an internet source.

The features are on the TV, so the source of another signal is irrelevant, you get the Smart TV features whether you use Dish, DirecTV or OTA.

You will have to connect the TV or an internet source.

I guess I'm confused because I thought that you have to use the TV remote to access the TV features and the DISH remote to access the Hopper features so I don't understand how they can be cross compatible. For example, how do you use the TV voice search feature or smart phone link with the dish programing guide? It would seem to me that if you use the DISH remote exclusively for TV viewing and program it to emulate the TV remote, you'll not be able to access many of the TV's smart features with the DISH remote. I know I must be missing something, so I'm hoping someone can straighten me out on how to set up a Smart TV with a Hopper so everything works.

You need to get a Harmony remote.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

You can use the Samsung Remote to control the Hopper, but you don't get all the features that you would if you used the DISH remote.

For me I use the DISH remote all the time, then only use the Samsung remote when I want to use any of the smart tv features such as watch Netflix.

Just going off topic a little bit..some smart TVs have genie client built in..are there any TVs that have a hopper client aka joey built in?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SatelliteGuys mobile app

"Some?" Isn't it just one or two, today? And they still charge for that?

The hopper remote has an IR receiver on the side which supports a learn function. So you can transfer any TV remote function to the Hopper remote. Use the on-screen Remote Manager found by pressing the yellow button on the Hopper remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts