Can not program remotes...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

papalittle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
Some old corn field, United States
On the last 3 or 4 installs I have not been able to get the remotes to program to use the TV volume and power. I enter the model of the set and hold the remotes level with the receiver but it always comes up with "sorry can not program remote at this time' or something like that. does not matter what receiver but seems mostly with the HR25-100 boxes. the TV's brands do not seem to matter either. On the genies/minis I have no real problem. Is there something I am doing wrong or is there another way to get the remotes to program to the TV sets?

That happened to me once, you just have to be patient and point directly at the receiver, until you see a successful program remote message, or google search TV or AVR codes to manually enter it specifically for your brand.

Some remotes are a PITA to get to work. I made mine the easy way for our Living Room. I just went with a Logitech Harmony 650. You may have to do a Red Button reboot twice and do a reset on the remote also.

As for lights. Not always is that the case. Unless there is a direct glare on the tv and the box. Some people have found shielding the face of the box with Black paper sticking out away from the front works.

Also keep in mind that not every tv code may work with every tv in that brand. That again is where it comes in handy with the Universal type remotes. Especially the Harmony's. You just plug it into your computer with a USB cable, log into the myharmony.com website. Then go through the setup process.

Hello papalittle, The suggestions made by others are quite reasonable in attempting to fix your problem. I am curious as to the batteries in the remotes and the model numbers of the remotes you are using. There is an H25 but not an HR25. Could it be an HR24 instead? If it is an HR24 you can use the front panel to reset the receiver and if that doesn't work then try a restart the receiver. Then try to program the remote and see if this helps.

Dont use the remote programming in the settings...
Go to directv.com, search for "remote control codes", then put in the TV Brand and Model number (if you know it).. then follow the instructions.
This will allow you to program the remote the old fashioned way, rather than "Automagically"
Note, when you do it this way, just leave the TV on regular broadcasting (Don't go into the menu's, it's unnecessary).

I use a code search most of the time:

mute+select, 991, 1, power, chan up until it turns off, and then select to lock it in.

Anyone know how to manually program the c41 remotes?

C41 remotes are RC71 models. They are normally programmed to the TV (and sound sytem if you have one) after you set them to RF mode.
If they are in IR mode, you program them the same way as an older remote. See the posts above for help doing it this way

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts