Genie taking over my other DVRs...HELP!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jdonn109

Original poster
Jun 23, 2014
So be just upgraded to the Genie and 2 minis to replace our main DVR and 2 other hd boxes. In total, we have 3 DVRs in our home. One in our guest room and the other in our theater room. The DVR boxes in the Guest room and theater room are the standard and can only record 2 shows at a time. The Genie play list and the Guest room playlist are showing up on all 3 DVRs. The theater playlist is not shared but you can see ALL the playlists on it.

Here are our issues I need some assistance with:
1) theater room only needs to be showing it's own playlist? Solution?
2) if the Genie is recording a show, the theater DVR can only record 1 show and you cannot chg the channel. How do I fix this? Remove from the network?

Basically would like the theater DVR on its own and not even connected to the Genie at all.

How do I do this?

Thank you for your time!

:welcome to Satelliteguys jdonn109!

It sounds like when you upgraded you should have gotten a swm16 switch, but only got a swm8. That would mean only 8 tuners can be used at one time. I'll bet the installer set up your dvr in the theater room is set as a single tuner dvr. There is a way to isolate the theater dvr from the others, but one I'm not sure exactly how that works. One of the installers will stop here soon and tell you how.

:welcome to Satelliteguys jdonn109!

It sounds like when you upgraded you should have gotten a swm16 switch, but only got a swm8. That would mean only 8 tuners can be used at one time. I'll bet the installer set up your dvr in the theater room is set as a single tuner dvr. There is a way to isolate the theater dvr from the others, but one I'm not sure exactly how that works. One of the installers will stop here soon and tell you how.
Thanks. I now just wished I had never mentioned the theater room and it would have been left alone....

Did you order the Genie directly from DirecTV? If so they should have installed it properly with the correct Swim16 switch and you wouldn't have the problem with only one tuner on the theater DVR. Call DirecTV up and speak with them about this issue. They should resolve it for you.

Did you order the Genie directly from DirecTV? If so they should have installed it properly with the correct Swim16 switch and you wouldn't have the problem with only one tuner on the theater DVR. Call DirecTV up and speak with them about this issue. They should resolve it for you.
I did order it all from Direct Tv. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thx

Do you have access to the swm switch? It has the model right on it, either 8 or 16.

Come to think of it, you may not even have a swm switch, you may have a splitter and a swm lnb.

Come to think of it, you may not even have a swm switch, you may have a splitter and a swm lnb.
It's really hard to say without knowing exactly what they installed on site.

I have previously went from a basic non SWM set up to a SWM3 set up and back to a Non SWM (LNB) and a SWM16 MS set up to accommodate my tuners ...
Yes, it gets confusing these days with the number of options available ... thers also probably more than one way to set this stuff up as well.

Counting the coax from the dish would help. With 9 tuners there should be 4-wires from the dish to the SWiM-16. If there is only 1-wire from the dish to whatever splitter, then the Genie upgrade was done wrong.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    833.3 KB · Views: 173
I'll give DTV a call this morning.
Once the swm16 is installed, the HDDVR in the theater should work like before?...record 2 but have to watch one??

Is the Theater room the one used the most ?
If so, why not put the Genie in the Theater room and make the most of it ?
It sounds like theres a client in that room ... no ?

Is the Theater room the one used the most ?
If so, why not put the Genie in the Theater room and make the most of it ?
It sounds like theres a client in that room ... no ?
No. Our living room is used the most and the minis were set up to run in my MBR and office. The theater room has 2 TV, 1HDDVR and 1HD receiver. It feeds to my husbands office, too. So we have "our own" tv programming.

Now I upgraded this thing and have crumbled this mans world...lord help me. Hahaha

Reactions: raoul5788

That's a swm splitter, which limits you to eight tuners in your setup. That means the installer wouldn't or couldn't add the extra three lines from the dish to where the splitter is to install the correct swm16 switch in it's place.

Alot of installers will turn off a tuner If installing the swm16 is going to be exceedingly difficult. But I always ask which dvr to set to one. Most ppl will not actually utilize 9 active recordings at the same time.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)