Can OTA antenna share sat cable into house?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjsurfer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I called in a private installer to do a site survey before signing up for Direct TV, just to check out what's involved with our installation, HD & DVR (HR-21).

I understand we will need an amplified OTA antenna to get local HD which will feed the AM-21, the AM-21 will be available in a few weeks according to the phone converstation the installer had with the Direct TV installer tech line. My installer didn't even know that the HR-21 lost it's OTA tuner and needed an AM-21, not very confidence inspiring.

The installer still doesn't know if he can duplex the amplified OTA line and the incoming line from the dish....Does anyone know if this could be done so he only has to run one line into the house.

Another question, can the HR-21 record two different channels at the same time

That's it for now...hopefully in a few weeks I'll be part of Direct.

Ron

If you can put the B-Band Converter ahead of the diplexer it should work (the BBC should not be outside, however). Otherwise, diplexing will only work with a SWM-8 (not normally supplied, but available for ~$300).

The HR21 can record two channels at the same time (including up to two OTA with the AM21).

Bob,

You lost me, "B Band Converter"? no idea what that is..

And the SWM-8 you lost me on that one too.

This starting to get confusing.

Thanks

Ron W.

rj; Normally you can mix and remove OTA from the coax to the LNB on the dish. BUT, the sat box sends voltage to the LNB. That is why you have a problem if you wish an amplified OTA. You have to send voltage up to it also. Best way is to just run another coax down from the OTA while installing DTV. All my stuff comes into the garage and then the OTA gets mixed with the DTV signal and is demixed at the DTV receiver.

The B-Band converter is an in-line adapter which works with MPEG-4 equipment. You will find one usually just attached to the sat in on your receiver. Attached is a picture.

Attachments

• 41h%2BB02-1HL__SL160_AA115_.jpg
    41h%2BB02-1HL__SL160_AA115_.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 212
The SWM-8 is a single wire multiswitch. You connect 4 cables from the dish to this box and it has two outputs. Either of these can be used and only a single cable needs to go to the receiver or DVR. The signal can be run through a splitter. The SWM has an OTA input to diplex onto the same cable (another diplexer is needed at the receiver to split it off again). Up to 8 tuners can be run with this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)