Can someone give us the basics?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jpoesq1

Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
I am a new subscriber trying to understand how DirectTV works and I know there a bunch of people on here who can run it down for all of us newbies. My questions:

1. So the dish points at satellites that are positioned in fixed orbit around the earth - always in the same place relative to the earth.

How many satellites are there for Direct TV?
Where are they located?
Why does it seem that the satellites are at such shallow angles (at least relative to the southern US)?
Why are the satellites not positioned higher in the sky?
Is this going to change?

2. When the satellite signal reaches the dish, the dish sends that signal via cables to a switch.

Is there typically a power source to send the signal from the dish to the switch?
Is this where an amplifier works - enhancing signal strength from dish to switch?
Is RG6 the standard cable from dish to swicth or is it something else?
Does RG11 enhance performance?
What are typical range limitations?
Is HD signal different from regular in terms of durability from dish to switch?

3. From the switch, signal goes to receivers at the TV.

What tools are there to enhance signal from switch to TV?

Where do the Sonora products work in this chain?

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks to you in advance for the education.

JOhn

I am a new subscriber trying to understand how DirectTV works and I know there a bunch of people on here who can run it down for all of us newbies. My questions:

1. So the dish points at satellites that are positioned in fixed orbit around the earth - always in the same place relative to the earth.

How many satellites are there for Direct TV? That depends upon your programming and location. There are 5 primary orbital slots and two others used for locals in certain markets and international programming.
Where are they located? Primary slots are 101W, 110W, 119W, and HD at 99W and 103W. Additional slots are 72.5W and 95W
Why does it seem that the satellites are at such shallow angles (at least relative to the southern US)? Define shallow angles. The satellites are not in a direct line from the LNB arm. They actually come in much higher than that and reflect into the LNB. Think of a bank shot in pool...it's the same concept.
Why are the satellites not positioned higher in the sky? They're 22,000miles up in space... how much higher do you want them to go? I'm not a rocket scientist by any means, but I believe it has to do with oribital mechanics (speeds necessary to maintain orbit, fuel consumption for station keeping, etc...)
Is this going to change? Nope

2. When the satellite signal reaches the dish, the dish sends that signal via cables to a switch.

Is there typically a power source to send the signal from the dish to the switch? Yes, the receiver sends power to the LNB assembly on the dish. This power is used for selecting what satellite and transponder to select for that cable. It then carries the signal back to the receiver.
Is this where an amplifier works - enhancing signal strength from dish to switch? Yes, although it must work in both directions.
Is RG6 the standard cable from dish to swicth or is it something else? RG-6 is the standard for satellite TV.
Does RG11 enhance performance? Yes, but you pay more for it.
What are typical range limitations? That depends upon the type of equipment (dish and receivers) and your programming provider. For DirecTV the general limit is 150 feet, but longer runs have been reported to work.
Is HD signal different from regular in terms of durability from dish to switch? I'm not sure what you mean by durability.

3. From the switch, signal goes to receivers at the TV.

What tools are there to enhance signal from switch to TV? A powered switch.

Where do the Sonora products work in this chain? Don't know.

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks to you in advance for the education.

JOhn

My answers are up above.

Outstanding

Thank you so much for all of your answers above. Incredibly helpful for me as I try to understand the basics. Don't know how to repay the favor, but thanks!

Message for IWC

"The satellites are not in a direct line with the LNB arm."

This is the first time I have ever heard that and I was absolutely under the impression that they were. What an idiot I am! I would find myself sticking my head in the dish trying to look up the line of the LNB arm and thinking "it looks like that tree is right in the way". The bank shot analogy brought it home.

Thank you 100 times. Some of us take longer to learn than others.

Here is a crude visual as well:

Attachments

• off_dish.jpg
    off_dish.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 172
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts