Can someone hack and use your DirecTV DVR? (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!
Status
Please reply by conversation.

erandall38

Dec 10, 2013
USA
Today I started noticing programs being recorded that I did not ask it to record. My mom was in town this last weekend and I figured she might of recorded them for her self (not like her). But later today I noticed that one of the recorded movies was dimmed to show that it was watched. I hit the show and chose "resume". It started half way through the movie like someone had watched half the movie and exited.

Just now someone recorded Sons of Anarchy, and started watching it. I went in to the show to delete from DVR and it says "Can't delete Sons of Anarchy because it's playing in another room".

I have checked all my TV's and they are not playing this recording.

Is it possible someone hacked into the my account/dvr/service and is using my DVR? If so, waht can I do to counter it. And can I mess with them at all or find out who it is?

texasbrit

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Today I started noticing programs being recorded that I did not ask it to record. My mom was in town this last weekend and I figured she might of recorded them for her self (not like her). But later today I noticed that one of the recorded movies was dimmed to show that it was watched. I hit the show and chose "resume". It started half way through the movie like someone had watched half the movie and exited.

Just now someone recorded Sons of Anarchy, and started watching it. I went in to the show to delete from DVR and it says "Can't delete Sons of Anarchy because it's playing in another room".

I have checked all my TV's and they are not playing this recording.

Is it possible someone hacked into the my account/dvr/service and is using my DVR? If so, waht can I do to counter it. And can I mess with them at all or find out who it is?

Are you in an apartment or a single family home? What you are posting is a common problem in Multi Dwelling Units (MDUs). It is caused by the apartments having whole-home set up without the individual apartment systems being correctly isolated from each other. If that's the case, you need to contact whoever manages the MDU systems and tell them they need to use Band Stop Filters to isolate each apartment system from the others.

erandall38

Dec 10, 2013
USA
Are you in an apartment or a single family home? What you are posting is a common problem in Multi Dwelling Units (MDUs). It is caused by the apartments having whole-home set up without the individual apartment systems being correctly isolated from each other. If that's the case, you need to contact whoever manages the MDU systems and tell them they need to use Band Stop Filters to isolate each apartment system from the others.

Thank you, yes I am in an MDU. Just called and left them a vmail. They will know what to do, yes? Or should I just repeat what you told me? Thanks for the info.

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
:welcome to Satelliteguys erandall38!

texasbrit hit the nail on the head.

StealthMonkey

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 20, 2010
Austin, TX
Just a thought, but in the mean time, to protect your recordings, I believe that you can configure your DVR to not allow remote deletions. Someone recording shows or watching shows is annoying, but someone deleting your stuff could really suck. Might want to flip that switch if it isn't already.

texasbrit

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Just talk to your MDU manager. There needs to be a bandstop filter in the line from each apartment to its associated SWM multiswitch (SWM8s probably). This will prevent receivers in one apartment being able to see the DVRs in other apartments.
Stealthmonkey has a great suggestion. At least that will prevent other people deleting your recordings, as an interim measure.

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
Welcome to the forum erandall38!!

Yes your MDU manager should get it fixed up for you.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
yup as someone who has a MDU setup here they NEED to put one on the line. I can see where they hook up the lines to the apartments here (since we use to have cable as included in rent and last year they switched to D*) and on mine they have one

Looks like this
BSFR01_zoom.jpg

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
by the way....is it through a 3rd party company or Directv directly? Ours is through Access Media 3. If its through a 3rd party you have to contact them. The property manager wouldnt know what to do.

sean427812

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 1, 2013
The best thing to see if she reported something is to go in your recorder manager sieverts in there she might record some and watch half of it

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

sean427812

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 1, 2013
Can you look at the filter the block all Internet and MRV functions or you can just go in your box and turn off share all under network her whole whole home as we need to go to disable your sharing

texasbrit

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Can you look at the filter the block all Internet and MRV functions or you can just go in your box and turn off share all under network her whole whole home as we need to go to disable your sharing

No, that is NOT how this gets solved. Each apartment should be able to use whole home without interfering with the others. The MDU manager needs to install a BSF for EVERY apartment not just the OPs, otherwise others will have the same problem.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
gotta love when the OP has the info he needs from both an installer and someone who has the SAME setup then someone comes in and gives so much wrong info :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts