Can someone help me with some general information?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chuck In Ohio

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
Athens, Ohio
I'm interested in FTA. My interest was prompted by my local CBS affiliate holding DISH hostage for a 450% price increase which ended up with us not having that particular channel. Assuming this type of thing will begin happening more frequently in the future I'd like to have a FTA option to fall back on. The problem is...I know nothing about this. Is there a section here somewhere that a completely new person can look into to try and learn about it? Like what kind of receiver, dish, satellite(s) to point at, equipment costs, troubleshooting and on and on. I don't expect anyone here to "nursemaid" me through something like this from scratch. I was just looking for a "Getting Started" type section and couldn't find one.

Thanks in advance.:)

I'm interested in FTA. My interest was prompted by my local CBS affiliate holding DISH hostage for a 450% price increase which ended up with us not having that particular channel. Assuming this type of thing will begin happening more frequently in the future I'd like to have a FTA option to fall back on. The problem is...I know nothing about this. Is there a section here somewhere that a completely new person can look into to try and learn about it? Like what kind of receiver, dish, satellite(s) to point at, equipment costs, troubleshooting and on and on. I don't expect anyone here to "nursemaid" me through something like this from scratch. I was just looking for a "Getting Started" type section and couldn't find one.

Thanks in advance.:)
http://www.satelliteav.com/shop/?ws_pid=1611&ws_cat=413 is a good system to start with and you can always add OTA for locals and above all just ask questions

You are in the correct section right now. I'd suggest digging into various posts, and just read for now.

This package is about the cheapest new system around, and is a great way to go for starting out. It will point to a single sat, but you could always add a motor later (about another $50) and then tune to different sats at will. http://satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=1611&ws_cat=413

You won't replace exactly what Dish Network offers, think of it as more in the way of a "super tv antenna system", but there's enough up there free to keep you going for years.

It looks to me like your are in a rural area of Ohio. If you have - or can get - one of the old C-Band - Big Ugly Dishes - then you can solve your problem of getting a CBS station, by getting a Digital receiver. It will take some work and investment, but you can get it done. CBS is the hardest network to get off satellite, free, in my opinion.

Can't you get your "lost" local channel OTA? (rooftop antenna) that's free except for the hardware. (quite a bit smaller 'footprint' than a BUD. (NO I'm NOT trying to talk anyone out of FTA, but to restore just ONE local Channel?) Check at tvfool.com

You will never find your local channels on FTA.
Just because DishNet or DirecTV has 'em, doesn't mean we can get 'em.
As long as that's understood, welcome! :)

I agree that a better Over The Air antenna is the first move.

Then, familiarize yourself with the programming on each satellite to decide if you want to start with an 8' BUD, or a 36" Ku dish.
See The List at the top of the page.
Dont worry if it seems a bit overwhelming at first.
Gets much easier with experience.

Describe what you'd like to get and we can guide you.
For example, most any foreign language, or PBS, would be easy.

And before you spend money, tell us what you are thinking about, and let us advise.

iPhone 4

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies. I didn't realize locals would be tough to get. Yes, we live in rural Ohio so, lots of the Appalachian foothills surround us and I'm pretty sure a rooftop antenna won't get it. I wasn't just asking because of the one particular channel. We've lost a few this year and I'm seeing a trend with some of these outfits holding DISH, Direct and even cable companies hostage for more exorbitant fees. The ones that are free broadcast that do this are really frustrating. I wish there was a watchdog; some type of oversight on them. I'll check out links offered and look around here more. Appreciated! :)

looking at a tvfool report there might be an option

WTAP in Parkersburg, WV recently launched a CBS on channel 47. Its 28 miles away so that may be an option. They just launched it this past Monday
Also the Fox went HD too on 22 (was a subchannel on WTAP until this past Monday)

I used the city in your profile and here is what it shows
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=e779a86f8b0c6b

WIYE is CBS
WOVA is Fox

Hey, thanks for that link Iceberg. That's interesting. It looks like I would have mostly grey areas, but I do see a CBS affiliate in red- WOWK, that I'm familiar with and I like WSAZ, which we haven't been able to view since switching from Time Warner Cable to DISH. We've been with DISH for a little over three years and have been happy with it and I don't blame them for what these locals are doing. It was a pretty bad hit when we lost AMC but DISH worked with me and I got a ROKU, so that was nice.

Question: The site says that that for the red-colored stations- "A roof-mounted antenna is probably needed to pick up channels at this level and above". Do I read an inference in there that a dish & receiver setup would be even better reception (for the red-colored stations)? Obviously I'd stand at least a chance of picking up some of those grey-colored stations as well. So is it worth the additional investment in your opinion?

alot of it has to do with terrain. The red ones you would need a pretty good size antenna. The thing to look at also is the NM (db) which is to the right of the affilaite type (CBS, NBC)
Anything above 0 you might be able to get. The issue is at 0 its hit and miss (more miss than hit) and you're pushing 60 miles away.

The ones higher up (WIYE & WOVA) are new stations. WTAP (NBC in Parkersburg) just started WIYE last week (CBS). WOVA is Fox and use to be a subchannel on WTAP. Now it is its own station and in HD. Those might be easier to get (at 30 miles away).

WOWK is still on its VHF frequency (13) so VHF does travel a little better than UHF does. I can get a VHF on 12 72 miles away...but the terrain here in Minnesota is different then WV/OH ;)
The rest are on UHF which doesnt travel as far but they crank the power up to compensate.

Did you put in a height for your antenna? Didn't see it in the search criteria. I just used the zip and entered 30 ft and saw improvement from your results.

yeah I used 30 feet when I did my tvfool for ya

I'm up 40 feet on my setup which makes a huge difference when dealing with longer distances (higher the better)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts