Can u transfer recordings?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

deez04

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 23, 2005
High Point, NC
So, I took the plunge and bought a Samsung 3D LED....but, I have a HR20...It has been an awesome DVR but I will have to give it up to watch the new 3D channels...so, can I or Directv transfer recordings to my new DVR?......

I am no computer guru so I only know basic principles. I am sure there is a way to transfer recordings but I didn't know if there was an easier way.

Any help would be appreciated?....if I am out of luck, thats fine too, but the kids and wife have alot of recordings on the current HR20!

Thanks again...

Can't be done. The recordings are encrypted to the DVR.
However, you could record them to a DVD recorder in realtime!
Although they woud be in SD.

Why not just keep the HR20 active until the recordings have been watched?

If you use an external hard drive thru esata, you can hook the hard drive up to a different DTV DVR and it will work.
I remember reading somewhere that this wouldn't work, but it did in fact work for me.

If you use an external hard drive thru esata, you can hook the hard drive up to a different DTV DVR and it will work.
I remember reading somewhere that this wouldn't work, but it did in fact work for me.

Normally, unless something has changed recently, when you disconnect a External hard drive and reconnect on a different one, it reformats to work with the new recvr.
Thus losing all your recordings.

Now that may be different for the HR24, but the older units have always reformatted.

Can't be done. The recordings are encrypted to the DVR.
However, you could record them to a DVD recorder in realtime!
Although they woud be in SD.

Why not just keep the HR20 active until the recordings have been watched?

Yep, for only $5 a month, why not.

That only works if the content is OTA. It wont work for anything actually received from the satellite.

This is because the OTA stuff isnt encrypted, but all the sat stuff is encrypted to the access cards key.

You'll be able to see the encrypted shows in the playlist on the new dvr, but you wont be able to play them.

Never tried this but it does say you can record HD content from satellite receiver.

HD PVR Product overview

Interesting. It takes a component input from something and encodes it into mpeg4/h.264 and then sends it along to your computer. It has no internal storage. It can use an IR blaster to change the channel on a sat or cable box.

So basically its an external HD capture box with a built in encoder. You could buy such a tuner box for a lot less than $200, although this appears to include a lot of software for capturing the encrypted data and burning it to dvd media which is cheaper than HD-dvd or blu-ray blanks.

I've also had some hit and miss experiences with IR blaster controlled recording products. Might also have problems with some macrovision type protection schemes.

This would probably be pretty handy if you wanted to build a library of movies/shows from a dvr, but it'd all be in real time. You'd have to hit 'play' on the dvr and then start recording on a pc.

Just a quick look around, there are plenty of similar products for $40-120 that use the pc's processor to do the encryption. Most computers built in the last 4-5 years could easily do an h.264 encryption on its own.

I have this pvr and it works as advertised. I down loaded the Pacific to my computer and when I get time I will burn to dvd in an HD format to be played in my blu-ray player. The device records in DD 5.1 or stereo.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)