Can you change your zipcode on R15 300 reciever to get locals?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mmittner

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Hello everybody!!,

I recently got directv a week ago, and local channels are not availible in my area (Erie, Pa.) I was kind of dissapointed when I got it, because I used to get the WB and Sports Time Ohio (which is a regional sports network which broadcasts Cleveland Indians games) from my local cable provider, but now it's blacked out on Directv! I was wondering if there is any way I could change my zip code manualy to get Cleveland Ohio locals (which is only 80 miles away) on a R15 300, D11 or DRD435RH reciever? Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanx:)

Can you do it without calling D* because I don't know anyone In the Cleveland area that would let me use thier address for service, and I just got D* so it would look a little obvious. Also I might be moving down the road soon anyway and need some one to come out and re-install the equipment.

This is the grey area of the business. You do have to call to change the address, I cannot give you a definite answer of you situation since you are moving:) .

You can change your zipcode on the box, but that doesn't gaurantee that you will get the local channels still. I have tried this, bu tbecause channels were the same anyhow it didn't prove this would work or not. In the box under settings go to satelite and change zipcode...worth a try.

brandtoby said:
You can change your zipcode on the box, but that doesn't gaurantee that you will get the local channels still. I have tried this, bu tbecause channels were the same anyhow it didn't prove this would work or not. In the box under settings go to satelite and change zipcode...worth a try.

That only gives you settings of the dish.

I know I saw that setting, but there isn't an option to change the zip code (only to view it). But you can change the lat/long. Tried that but nothing changed...

as many others have said, changing the settings on the reciever will only give you the coordinates for dish alignment. you would need a billing address in the city that you want locals out of if you want those locals. this isnt a for sure thing though, if you are out of the areas local spot beam, you may or may not recieve any/some of their locals.

sorry homie you out of luck. you need to call directv and give them your address . the customer representive will let you know if local channels is available in your area. dont waste your time changing the zip code on the box it will only give you information for dish alignment base on your location. you could tried getting an off air antenna . but 80 miles from the local station is too far away for the off air antenna to work properly

No, changing the zipcode on your receiver will do nothing beyond providing you the angles necessary to aim the dish to a specific satellite and has nothing, absolutely nothing with what programming is authorized. The authorizations are all handled by D and require contacting them to make programming changes (including adding locals). With the address they currently have, they'll not activate locals until they host them on their sats.

One other issue is the use of spot beams used for the locals. Their footprint may not overlap your actual location and thus changing your address a D will not ensure that you receive them (even if the receiver is authorized to receive them). RV and Cabin owners frequently run into this problem, where they use a single bill and still are unable to receive their favored locals on the RV or Cabin that's outside their local spotbeam footprint.

In addition, if you use PPV and have the phone line hooked up, they'll be able to determine the telephone number and area code the device called in from. If the address doesn't match, they'll audit you for sure and the temporarily provided locals would be discontinued.

Instead if you want Distant Locals, you'll need to see if you qualify and what not. See this thread for more details: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=75032

Thank the NAB, it's not really D fault as they have to follow the laws that are based on legislation.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.