Can you force VOD quality level on 722?

kscott

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I have had this particular 722 for a few years now and never had any problems. Recently though, I've had issues with the VOD streaming jumping back and forth between the best (HD) and second-best quality levels. It's really just more annoying than anything as the audio continues, but you get the temporary black screen while it switches video quality. When I say jumping, I mean it switches about every 5-10 minutes

Yes, I know this could be a symptom of a sporadic internet connection issue, but I really don't think that's the case. I have a 15mb internet connection, and I play everything from VUDU HDX, Netflix HD, etc. with no issues. I also have 2 other 622s in bedrooms, and neither of them have any problems streaming the same movies at the highest quality.

Has anyone else recently started experiencing issues like this with a 722? Perhaps a recent firmware update?

If nothing else, I'd prefer to just forcefully set the next-best quality level as the desired streaming quality and at least that way it wouldn't keep trying to go up to the highest. Is that possible?

IIRC the 722 does adaptive streaming, while the 622's do not. Could be Dish's servers are misbehaving, or the 622's are already stuck on a lower quality level, or your internet is dodgy, or the 722's firmware was broken in this way as you suspect. I haven't tried streaming on my 722 recently so I can't tell you about the latter.

I have had this particular 722 for a few years now and never had any problems. Recently though, I've had issues with the VOD streaming jumping back and forth between the best (HD) and second-best quality levels. It's really just more annoying than anything as the audio continues, but you get the temporary black screen while it switches video quality. When I say jumping, I mean it switches about every 5-10 minutes

Yes, I know this could be a symptom of a sporadic internet connection issue, but I really don't think that's the case. I have a 15mb internet connection, and I play everything from VUDU HDX, Netflix HD, etc. with no issues. I also have 2 other 622s in bedrooms, and neither of them have any problems streaming the same movies at the highest quality.

Has anyone else recently started experiencing issues like this with a 722? Perhaps a recent firmware update?

If nothing else, I'd prefer to just forcefully set the next-best quality level as the desired streaming quality and at least that way it wouldn't keep trying to go up to the highest. Is that possible?
I have the same problem with my 722. It is annoying.
?

Yepp, Ill never buy any more VOD with the Hopper until they fix that. It's idiotic to have variable quality streaming on a device with a HDD that can just download the entire file at full quality...

I have the same problem with my 622. I thought it was the connection, but I had a diagnostic running on the router while I streamed a program and I had plenty of bandwidth headroom so that was not the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)