Can you get the new HD from DISH?

Do you currently receive the new HD channels from DISH?

• Total voters
You don't get much for $15 any more; but to have someone come to your house & spend an hour removing the old dishes & putting up a new dish and zeroing everything in, so I don't have to worry about it, is a real bargain, in my book. ;)

I think it is as well. My only real issue was that I didn't prompt the need for the change.

If it was a new receiver that I wanted or new functionality, then ok. But in the end, I have to do this because DISH is changing their long term strategy. Right now its 9 channels, what about later this summer? When will it get to the point that it is significantly different?

That's why I balked at the charge.

Gregg,

If you are using a Single Dish for 61.5 you will NOT be able to just replace the LNBF on the Dish 300/500 pointed at 61.5 for it to equate to an Eastern Arc Dish.

The Actual Eastern Arc Dish has a MUCH larger reflector Pan and different setup at the back of the pan so it can receive signals from three Orbital slots 61.5, 72.7 and 77. The Dish is unique in that it receives signals from those three slots, but remember the Eastern Arc orbital slots are not evenly spaced by 9 or so degrees between each slot, like the Western Arc 1000.2 Dish (110,119,129).

If you want the 61.5. 72.7, and 77 orbital slots, you will need to install two or Three Dishes (one Dish 500 with TWIN LNBF for 61.5/72.7, and a second Dish for 77, or Three Separate Dish one for each orbital slot), or you can use the actual Eastern Arc Dish model # 1000.4.

John
Thanks John. I'll make sure I get a dish too. I have two on the roof now so I'd rather replace one than add another.

Gregg,

If you are using a Single Dish for 61.5 you will NOT be able to just replace the LNBF on the Dish 300/500 pointed at 61.5 for it to equate to an Eastern Arc Dish.

The Actual Eastern Arc Dish has a MUCH larger reflector Pan and different setup at the back of the pan so it can receive signals from three Orbital slots 61.5, 72.7 and 77. The Dish is unique in that it receives signals from those three slots, but remember the Eastern Arc orbital slots are not evenly spaced by 9 or so degrees between each slot, like the Western Arc 1000.2 Dish (110,119,129).

If you want the 61.5. 72.7, and 77 orbital slots, you will need to install two or Three Dishes (one Dish 500 with TWIN LNBF for 61.5/72.7, and a second Dish for 77, or Three Separate Dish one for each orbital slot), or you can use the actual Eastern Arc Dish model # 1000.4.

John

Based on what I have read from other posts & this one, I'd say this is what I got installed this morning - An 1000.4 picking up the 3 Eastern Arc satellites. It's mounted on the side of the house (...no holes in my roof, please), and has two supporting arms attached to it, too, making for a very stable installation. I don't think I'll be worried about it the next time a gale, Nor'easter or hurricane hits.... ;)

I would say A 60 /40 split is more than a small number(just this web site). I am presently out @ North Padre(Coprus Christi) Looking at alot of homes here with wing dish setup. I imagine the majority are not informed about new HD or that locals are in HD off 129. Maybe I am wrong but I feel Dish should inform customer of changes in programming. If it were not for this site I would never know what Dish was up to as far as that goes. This under the radar stuff seems unprofessional and lacking of true customer service.

I would say A 60 /40 split is more than a small number(just this web site). I am presently out @ North Padre(Coprus Christi) Looking at alot of homes here with wing dish setup. I imagine the majority are not informed about new HD or that locals are in HD off 129. Maybe I am wrong but I feel Dish should inform customer of changes in programming. If it were not for this site I would never know what Dish was up to as far as that goes. This under the radar stuff seems unprofessional and lacking of true customer service.

I'd imagine that they'll mention it in a future bill and email newsletter; but didn't want to have a mad rush of folks requesting upgrades. Kind of a way of phasing it in over the next month or so....

So, as a Turbo HD/'Dish America Gold' sub...what new HD channels SHOULD I be seeing?! Nothing. Some. All--but because of the continuing fiasco we HD-only subs just get left out, without explanation/recompense?

I saw CI in my line-up and promptly set the DVR to record 'Twin Peaks', then found the other channels, but they were blocked out in red saying it wasn't part of my sub tier? BS or not? We have a Dish 1000 installed just a few months back in Sept, so technically, we're 'seeing' the right birds, right?

I'm starting to get angry.

Installer just came and said he could not do anything because Im not able to get the 129 satellite. What about the eastern arc??

Yankeefan,

As long as you currently have a 61.5 Dish it could be replaced with an Eastern Arc dish, you will also need the Dish 500 pointed at 110. The installer will have to run a cable from the 110 output of the Dish 500 to the Eastern Arc Dish. He might have to replace the LNB, with a Single slot DP LNB with an "I" adapter for the Mounting arm.

John

So, as a Turbo HD/'Dish America Gold' sub...what new HD channels SHOULD I be seeing?! Nothing. Some. All--but because of the continuing fiasco we HD-only subs just get left out, without explanation/recompense?

I saw CI in my line-up and promptly set the DVR to record 'Twin Peaks', then found the other channels, but they were blocked out in red saying it wasn't part of my sub tier? BS or not? We have a Dish 1000 installed just a few months back in Sept, so technically, we're 'seeing' the right birds, right?

I'm starting to get angry.

Shanewalker,

If you did your Dish HD upgrade a while back there were two HD tiers Gold ($10) or Platinum ($20). Dish no longer has a GOLD HD pack you should be able to call in to get the Platinum for the same ($10) you are now paying.

With the Platinum HD pack you will get all the corresponding HD channels you receive in your regular SD Core Package, as well as HDnet Movies, Universal HD, Fashion HD, Indieplex HD, Retroplex HD, World Fishing Network HD, MGM HD, BET Jazz HD, MAVTV HD.

If you do switch to the Platinum HD for "FREE" and you still have red on some of your HD channels call Dish to ask for a "HIT" for your receiver as some of your channels are still red in the guide.

I had a friend that has the same programing as me and for some reason some of the HD channels were not coming in I had him call Dish to HIT his receiver and it solved the problem.

If you have the HD Only packages your SOL as many of the Dish HD channels are not available in the HD only packages.

John

Last edited:
Thank you for the help but the installer said nothing about that setup and has already left he said I have to wait untill they are put onto the 61.5. I dont know what to do now. He didnt act like he knew anything!!

Shanewalker,

If you do switch to the Platinum HD for "FREE" and you still have red on some of your HD channels call Dish to ask for a "HIT" for your receiver as some of your channels are still red in the guide.

I had a friend that has the same programing as me and for some reason some of the HD channels were not coming in I had him call Dish to HIT his receiver and it solved the problem.

John

Even though all of my HD channels immediately showed up after my install this morning, the guy still called Dish to do a "hit" on my system, just to make sure all went through properly. Better safe than sorry, I guess. ;)

Thank you for the help but the installer said nothing about that setup and has already left he said I have to wait untill they are put onto the 61.5. I dont know what to do now. He didnt act like he knew anything!!

Get a hold of Dish - it doesn't sound like he knew what he was doing, or didn't have the proper equipment for the install. Others have posted that they may not even be putting the HD channels on 61.5.... Don't know why he didn't do an Eastern Arc install, like they did for me this morning.

Yes I think your right! I go onto the dish chat and they want me to agree to a 2 month contract to the get the hd rec for my two sd tvs since they all have to be hd. They said they would drop the 15 dollars to come out, but Im not sure I want the 2 year contract has anyone got around this??

Yes I think your right! I go onto the dish chat and they want me to agree to a 2 month contract to the get the hd rec for my two sd tvs since they all have to be hd. They said they would drop the 15 dollars to come out, but Im not sure I want the 2 year contract has anyone got around this??

Ah... I must has missed the SD part if it was mentioned previously. Yes, from what I've read the Eastern Arc is pure HD & does not support SD receivers. As for the contract, I think that's all a part of getting the reduced rate on the new HD recievers, as opposed to paying retail for them without a contract. Though, when I upgraded to my VIP 622 a few years back, I think I only had to commit for a year, which wasn't a problem because I wasn't planning on switching to any other service.

I, too, have the 110/119 and 61.5 setup on two Dish 500s. I called DISH and they offered me an upgrade at the $15 price without my subbing to DHPP. While I think that DISH should be eating the costs on this boondoggle, I took the deal.

I currently have the dishes on poles in my side yard-my wife wants nothing attached to my house. The CSR said that they were going to set me up for 72.7 and 77; is it safe to assume that they're going to replace the 500 pointed at 61.5 for a 1000.4 pointed at 61.5/72.7/77? Or could I be getting something else?

Anyway, the CSR set this up for Monday-even after I explained that I have 48 inches of snow on the ground. I'm going to clear the area and dig walkways, but what is the chance the technician is actually going to show up?

I, too, have the 110/119 and 61.5 setup on two Dish 500s. I called DISH and they offered me an upgrade at the $15 price without my subbing to DHPP. While I think that DISH should be eating the costs on this boondoggle, I took the deal.

I currently have the dishes on poles in my side yard-my wife wants nothing attached to my house. The CSR said that they were going to set me up for 72.7 and 77; is it safe to assume that they're going to replace the 500 pointed at 61.5 for a 1000.4 pointed at 61.5/72.7/77? Or could I be getting something else?

Anyway, the CSR set this up for Monday-even after I explained that I have 48 inches of snow on the ground. I'm going to clear the area and dig walkways, but what is the chance the technician is actually going to show up?

Yeah, I'd say you're getting what I got this morning - One 1000.4 dish picking up the 61.5/72.7/77 satellites. As long as the tech can make it to your pole (...got a snow blower?), he should be able to do the install. Every time I've had a tech to my house they've called in advance to confirm, get directions, etc., so hopefully you'll hear from him and be able to let him know that he has access to the pole. ;)

Kind of funny - You folks down there have been getting all of the snow we usually get up here in New England. Well, maybe not funny to you.... :p Our "big storm" was the 20 or so inches we got back the week before Christmas, with pretty much very little since.

I didn't get them until I swung my 61.5 dish around to 129. I'm not sure why they did it but bless Dish for mirroring the Norfolk HD locals on 129... I'm sure that I wouldn't get an EA upgrade for $15 anyway, I've got 2 SD only receivers they'd have to swap :(

Yeah, I'd say you're getting what I got this morning - One 1000.4 dish picking up the 61.5/72.7/77 satellites. As long as the tech can make it to your pole (...got a snow blower?), he should be able to do the install. Every time I've had a tech to my house they've called in advance to confirm, get directions, etc., so hopefully you'll hear from him and be able to let him know that he has access to the pole. ;)

Kind of funny - You folks down there have been getting all of the snow we usually get up here in New England. Well, maybe not funny to you.... :p Our "big storm" was the 20 or so inches we got back the week before Christmas, with pretty much very little since.

Thanks for the confirmation. My sister lives up in Lunenburg and has been calling regularly to make sure we're all right. :) On top of these two storms we also got hit in December when you did. We are now 20" over our highest seasonal snow total ever.

And no, I have no snow blower. We aren't supposed to need one in the Mid Atlantic. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts