Can you get the new HD from DISH?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Do you currently receive the new HD channels from DISH?

• Total voters
I understand 100% the nagging feeling when dealing with Dish. When the guy showed up he broke out the 722 and was under the impression that was all there was. I said that we were supposed to be put on the EA, his supervisor said call in and find out. After checking the paperwork, he said that I was right. They wondered why and I informed them about the new HD and they looked into it and were amazed that no one has informed them yet of this new wrinkle in Dishland. Got the new setup, and I already get PBSHD OTA, so I don't need the 110.

I understand 100% the nagging feeling when dealing with Dish. When the guy showed up he broke out the 722 and was under the impression that was all there was. I said that we were supposed to be put on the EA, his supervisor said call in and find out. After checking the paperwork, he said that I was right. They wondered why and I informed them about the new HD and they looked into it and were amazed that no one has informed them yet

Same thing here! First guy came on a Saturday as I had the day off. he said he was there for a service call and after several phone calls he "cleared it all up" and we rescheduled for Mon. I had to work but but my wife was home. The guy showed up on time, and my wife called me as he wanted to talk with me, I explained what I wanted done and why, he politely told me he would get it done. Got another call about an hour later and spoke with the tech again. He was having problems and wondered why I was doing this as everything was on my existing set up. I told him that just was not true and I headed home. I helped him get this dialed in and we sat down to admire our work. He seemed quite surprised with the extra channels we were getting and thanked me many times for educating him on what was going on. I jotted down this web site address and told him to check it out as that was where I get my info. Tech was very polite and seemed to do a nice neat job, and as of now I have no complaints with his work. I am still totally flabbergasted with Dish net for keeping their own installers in the dark. This guy works for a pretty big outfit up here, drives a Dish van, and even made calls to his "boss" who did not know either. Amazing simply amazing!

Actually I am MAD that I can get all the HD channels EXCEPT the new ones because of a tree where a dish for 72 gets pointed.. this is actually going to make me thing about switching.. I dont know if DTV is any better ... FIOS isnt available in my area yet..

I may be mistaken, but I believe FIOS is now available in the USA.

Ok Dish Network is saying that only a "small number" of customers can not get then new HD channels.

Personally I don't believe that as a 61.5/110/119 setup for HD has been in place long before there was even a satellite at 129.

So the question is do you currently get the new HD channels from DISH Network?

Please pardon the newbie question, but what exactly are the "new" HD channels? I am a new Dish subscriber as of 2/1/10. I have a 1000.2 dish with 2 x 612s and 1 x 222. Silver HD package.

Please pardon the newbie question, but what exactly are the "new" HD channels? I am a new Dish subscriber as of 2/1/10. I have a 1000.2 dish with 2 x 612s and 1 x 222. Silver HD package.

TRU-TV HD
Fox Soccer Channel HD
Retroplex HD
Indieplex HD
BBC America HD
E! Entertainment Television HD
Hallmark HD
Showtime West HD
Sportsman Channel HD

I cannot get them in SoWI. I have the 110/119 & a 61.2 (The 61.2 was just put up in summer) DISH said it would cost $95 or $15 with the "Service Program". Everything I've ever had DISH come out for (upgrades, new dishes, etc) have been free. I told the CSR I will not pay either since I'm already paying for all HD programming and not getting it. It didn't work, so I told her to be sure to use my account number as a probable non-customer in the future.

I'm not happy at all about this. I quit Charter cable years ago because of stuff like this. I guess I'll have to look at AT&T U-verse or FIOS if it comes here.

Thanks for these forums. I have read them in the past, but just recently registered to post.

I called yesterday to get a service call. I explained that I wanted the new channels, and they weren't available on my current setup (110,119,61.5). He wanted to know how I found out about the new channels. I told him Sat Guys. Then he tells me that they show I'm on 110,119,129. I told him that was not the case. He says he believes me but wants to have me check again anyway. Once that was settled, he set up a service call for Monday between 12-5:00. So we'll see how that goes.

The Dish tech made it out for the rescheduled install this afternoon. He arrived one hour into the 12-5 PM window, and had called just after 12 to let us know he would be here in an hour, which I really appreciated.

He was very efficient and courteous, worked at a very steady pace, and had the 1000.4 installed and tested in just a couple of hours. He included struts for the roof mount, which should help.

I had run the coax and ground within the house and through the exterior walls prior to his arrival, and removed the old dishes while he was installing the new one, which helped to get the job done quickly. He warned me that the 1000.4 signal strengths would be lower than what I measured before, which turned out to be quite true. He commented that the larger dish size helps to prevent rain fade, even though the nomimal strengths are lower. We'll see how rain fade is affected, but for now, everything is working well on both 722's.

The only discouraging moment was when he presented with an agreement to extend the contract for 24 months, for the "upgrade". That topic had not be mentioned to me up to that moment - not on the phone call to Dish, not during the first techs visit on Wednesday, and not before all of the work had been completed today. I told him that, and that I don't agree that this change represents an "upgrade" in any way, since Dish has changed their configuration, and I am just just trying to be able to see the channels that are in the packages I am already paying for.

We agreed that I would decline to sign the contract extension. We'll see what comes from that. If it ends up with attempts at added charges by Dish or any other surprises, I think I am at the point where I would just cancel and move on.

Hmm, I do not the new channels (most notably BBCAHD which is the one I want).

I did a quick check switch to see my config and got the following:

1k4 switch with 77, 72, 61.5, x as the Sats (in Lexington, KY).

When calling dish what do I need to request they do in order to get the new channels? I would liked to be armed with this info as I assume the tech won't know offhand.

Thanks for any assistance!

Update: I checked all of the channels DIRANONI listed above and found something.. odd

I see some of the channels, but not all of them, here is the list:
TRU-TV HD - NO
Fox Soccer Channel HD - Yes
Retroplex HD - Yes
Indieplex HD - Yes
BBC America HD - NO
E! Entertainment Television HD - Yes
Hallmark HD - NO
Showtime West HD - Don't Sub
Sportsman Channel HD - Yes

Anyone have any thoughts at all why I get some but not all?

Last edited:
Hmm, I do not the new channels (most notably BBCAHD which is the one I want).

I did a quick check switch to see my config and got the following:

1k4 switch with 77, 72, 61.5, x as the Sats (in Lexington, KY).

When calling dish what do I need to request they do in order to get the new channels? I would liked to be armed with this info as I assume the tech won't know offhand.

Thanks for any assistance!

Update: I checked all of the channels DIRANONI listed above and found something.. odd

I see some of the channels, but not all of them, here is the list:
TRU-TV HD - NO
Fox Soccer Channel HD - Yes
Retroplex HD - Yes
Indieplex HD - Yes
BBC America HD - NO
E! Entertainment Television HD - Yes
Hallmark HD - NO
Showtime West HD - Don't Sub
Sportsman Channel HD - Yes

Anyone have any thoughts at all why I get some but not all?

Let me be the first to ask: what package do you have? Maybe you're not supposed to get them.

Clearly you have the right satellites so if you have a package that includes those channels then call up Dish and have them do what is commonly referred to as a "hit" on your box.

I have Dishes pointed at 61.5, 110, 118, and 119. So no I do not receive the new HD. I have the Americas Everything pkg. and I don't have a very good look angle for 129.

Let me be the first to ask: what package do you have? Maybe you're not supposed to get them.

Clearly you have the right satellites so if you have a package that includes those channels then call up Dish and have them do what is commonly referred to as a "hit" on your box.
Per the website I have:
Current Programming: America's Top 250
Local Channels: Lexington, KY
Premium Channels: N/A
International or Ala Carte Add-ons:
Fox Sports Cincinnati, HD & Platinum

Which should be everything I need.

Sounds like I need them to 'hit' my box. Of the 2 receivers I checked both were missing the channels so I wonder if they will have to 'hit' all 3 on my account (I haven't checked the one in the basement yet)?

Odd.

Thanks for the info, I'll call them tonight and ask to be updated.

I have Dishes pointed at 61.5, 110, 118, and 119. So no I do not receive the new HD. I have the Americas Everything pkg. and I don't have a very good look angle for 129.

You need either 129 or 72.7 now to get all the HD. If your locals are on eastern arc too, you could get a 61.5/72.7/77 dish to replace your 61.5 dish. You can keep your 118.7 for internationals.

Receiving partial new HDs

I am also in Ky ( Union ) and I am missing the same 3 new HDs as you. My configuration is also the same as yours ( 1k4 switch with 77, 72, 61.5 ). I have the America Everything and Platinum HD. Did you get any answer yet?

I get the new channels but not "thanks Dish".... it's THANKS Satellite Guys!! I wouldn't have even known about them but for this site.

And I still had to call and spend a half hour while a CSR tried different things but finally the channels were no longer "red" in the all channel listing.

I get my HD from 129.

Phil

I agree! Definitely "no thanks" to DISH and a very nice "thank you" to Satellite Guys for notifying us of these changes. I had to establish a chat session with CSR to get my channels enabled. I tried to do it online but my HD options were not available to me for viewing. I could change other packages but no HD. Hmmm? CSR changed it but I had to deal with the sales talk about their movie channel packages which I don't want. The CSR had to hear me complain about their fee increases. LOL!

I have America 250/GoldHD and get my HD from 129.

I am also in Ky ( Union ) and I am missing the same 3 new HDs as you. My configuration is also the same as yours ( 1k4 switch with 77, 72, 61.5 ). I have the America Everything and Platinum HD. Did you get any answer yet?

I just got off of the phone with Dish:

First off, I spoke with Dan 60H from first line tech support and Gary 9BQ from Advanced -- both were personable, helpful and realized I was an informed subscriber and spoke with me as such. Just wanted to note my support experience was very positive.

Anyway, here is what happened:

Dan (base Tech Support):
We went through the usual round of verifying the right sats and adequate levels, then performed a full check switch (I believe it is called test now).

After the test switch and guide download we discovered that when looking at all 'all chan' view (I leave all-sub on by default) we could see the high number channel of each of the 3 channels listed in red (as unsubbed). 9450 BBCA-HD, 9482 for Hallmark-HD and I forget for Tru-TV.

We did a hardware reset (unplug the power for 20sec) with no update to the guide.

Dan transferred me to Gary (Advanced support):
Who was surprised that we hadn't forced an update account authorization through the system. Once he pushed the force auth update within a few seconds the high level channels became available. Actually they remained red in the guide for a bit longer but typing the number while watching a channel would switch the high number HD channel.

Within 5 min or so the high number channels showed as subscribed and a few moments later correctly mapped down to the SD channel number in the guide. I have verified it worked for my 2 622 system, I will check my 722 when I have a chance to walk down to the basement after work.

Short version: call and ask for an authorization hit (exactly what was suggested earlier on the page by nlk10010 -- I just let tech support get there the through their process).

Hope this helps.

Now to record Top Gear in HD!

i installed my own 1k2 last year (work order called for 1k4). i chose it because it didnt want that monster EA thing on my house. and yes i get all the new hd just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts