CANAM Satellites

Well, I called and activated without any problems this morning. So, I guess they are back up and running.
I don't think so, today they gave me the same old "system is down, I have no information to give you" crap. A system does not go down for three weeks. It's bull****. BTW, the 954 number is a cell phone issued by Sprint to a Florida address. Check whitepages. com and do a reverse search.

I don't think so, today they gave me the same old "system is down, I have no information to give you" crap. A system does not go down for three weeks. It's bull****. BTW, the 954 number is a cell phone issued by Sprint to a Florida address. Check whitepages. com and do a reverse search.

I called yesterday and had my programming changed on Starchoice.
It wasn't quite right, so called again this morning, the lady walked me through
the menu system and we got it all fixed, running like a dream now. She actually
called back to check on it.

I've had a very similar experience with Canam. Ordering and activating were a real breeze in June. Then I couldn't get them to answer my emails or phone calls about adding service. Got the "system is down" conversation finally last week and gave up on adding a channel to my subscription.

Now, I'm getting a message on my screen fairly often stating that my smartcard is about to expire and must be exchanged right away. And, of course, I've gotten no response from Canam about what I need to do.

Anyone have any advice on how to proceed? Will my receiver shut down soon if I don't get a new card from Canam to exchange and activate?

Thanks for any help/advice, guys.

Jack

If I had to guess... maybe they lost whatever database they had for matching the new smart cards up with their subscribers...

Next time you call, drill 'em. You've now heard from two *C subscribers who made programming changes with no issues whatsoever. I had to switch my Bell smart card a couple months before moving out of the footprint, and there were no problems then either.

Also, to the people saying we should stop mentioning who's doing the brokering...

Do a google search for "ExpressVu"

Look over in the ads on the right side of the screen. First ad:

Want Canadian Satellite?
We can help US customers! Order
your satellite package online today
< url for canamsatellites >

So they're not hiding it.

Also, to the people saying we should stop mentioning who's doing the brokering...

Do a google search for "ExpressVu"

Look over in the ads on the right side of the screen. First ad:

Want Canadian Satellite?
We can help US customers! Order
your satellite package online today
< url for canamsatellites >

So they're not hiding it.
They're not refering to CanAm, they're refering about other companies that broker that aren't so open about it.

As for these bozos, the phone keeps ringing, and ringing, and ringing, and ringing. . . . .

Last edited:
Response from Richard Rex

They're not refering to CanAm, they're refering about other companies that broker that aren't so open about it.

As for these bozos, the phone keeps ringing, and ringing, and ringing, and ringing. . . . .

Their Canadian site lists the name and email address of the owner (Richard Rex). So I emailed him earlier this evening and asked what was going on, and if the fiasco with the DirecTV subscriber lists had anything to do with the problems we were seeing with ExpressVu card swaps. This is his reply:
Robbie,

Things are pretty much back to normal. We have our computers up and running for a while now. You should not be affected by Directv's actions.

Call the office if you require any service.

Thanks for your enquiry.

RichardI'll give them a call tomorrow to see what's going on with my card swap (and the empty envelope they sent me). Here's hoping he's right and things are back to normal.

Robbie

Their Canadian site lists the name and email address of the owner (Richard Rex). So I emailed him earlier this evening and asked what was going on, and if the fiasco with the DirecTV subscriber lists had anything to do with the problems we were seeing with ExpressVu card swaps. This is his reply:
Robbie,

Things are pretty much back to normal. We have our computers up and running for a while now. You should not be affected by Directv's actions.

Call the office if you require any service.

Thanks for your enquiry.
RichardI'll give them a call tomorrow to see what's going on with my card swap (and the empty envelope they sent me). Here's hoping he's right and things are back to normal.

Robbie
Do you really believe that? That makes me want to grab a pair of boots because it's getting really deep in here. They could fertilize every lawn in North America with the BS that they've spewed the last 6 weeks.

Not the same anymore

It really surprises me that after all this time no one knows what going on with this company.

Ive been with them for a year this October. I will be shutting down my Starchoice service after that. Not sure I will reactivate at least ''they'' will not be my first choice anymore.

''They'' seem very hush hush over there. I called them and they just dont seem right. Had to call three times, phone just kept ringing.

I will say they have been very good up till this point. Sorry to see things detiorate.

I used to use Canam with Evu. When you called you got the feeling they were screening calls, they always made you talk first before they'd say anything.

I always felt 'creepy' with them.

Can-Am Satellites/Largo Communication Raided!

I called Can-Am/Largo yesterday (9/19/2008) for help with my Bell Express Vu account & was told by the lady who answered the phone that they were under court order to no longer service anyone in the US with Bell Express Vu or Star-Choice. She also said the Canadian authorities told her they were no longer going to allow any "grey-market" satellite service over the border in either direction. In other words for anyone in the USA who is a customer of Can-Am Satellites/Largo Communication/canamsatellites they are for all intents and purposes out-of-business. She said it could be several months before the service is actually cut off, but with the newly required smart cards it appears even those who are already set up & receiving Bell Express Vu programming through Can-Am will eventually be cut off. It is unclear to me how long an existing Star Choice customer who is already set up through Can-Am would be able to continue to receive programming. Since either Bell Express-Vu or Star Choice actually has the customers credit card for direct billing perhaps Star Choice customers already set up through Can-Am would be able to continue to receive programming for years, unless of course the Canadian authorities seized Can-Am's customer list & will be going through & cutting off the existing customers. The lady at Can-Am said she wasn't allowed to provide me any other details due to the court order. She was very polite & apologized for the inconvenience.

IF that is true, it's because they were too sloppy and out in the open, with their Google ads and their website. That's why any inquiries about brokers should be done in PM and not open forum, as the stickys here state.

This does not sound like very good news for us southern subs.

I have been with a certain broker for about two years, and I sure don't understand all the ins-and-outs of how they operate, nor do I want to know. And I agree that it is best not to advertise their names in this forum. But it would seem that if there is a general clamp-down institiuted by the CRTC, even those clandestine brokers will eventually be flushed out into the open.

Isn't it farily easy for the satellite provider to determine which accounts are not truly in Canada, if they really want to? For example, those subs who have direct credit card billing, isn't it farily easy for the provider to trace the mailing address of the cardholder....or at least determine that the address is not Canadian?

I sure would like to hear the opinions of those who have more expertise on this subject that I do.........this whole subject is kinda worrisome......

I highly doubt the CRTC had anything to do with this since they are basically lap dogs of the major media companies of Canada. I can't open the paper without seeing wide open ads for stealing satellite. They are not doing anything about this. Bell can't even secure its signal and SC does not really care about US subs. If this whole thing is true my guess would be that it was DirectTV would be behind this. They are alot more agressive in shutting down subs outside the US.

Feel sorry for you guys who are stuck - a good reason to go it alone (I do).

Satboyz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)