CANAM Satellites

I have been with Canam/Largo since 2001. Got my new Smart Card in July and was activated. Of course also paid my annual fee PLUS an additional fee for the activation in July. BUT...my CC expired at end of June, and although Largo certainly updated THEIR records to the new expiry date, they negected to update with Bell. I called, they promised, I called, they mumbled, and finally said I would likely have about 60 days before service was terminated, but they would try to update 'when they had access to my records'. So, just to beef it up, I sent a letter with all the receiver details to Largo at both the ON address and the FL address...and nothing.

By pure dumb luck I remembered I had something with the A/C number inked out from an old bill that Largo had sent when I asked for an explanation of fees/charges. So, through a lot of work and magnification, I managed to retrieve the A/C, and finally set up an on-line link to the Bell A/C. I now know my "name", mailing address, service address, the works. Updated the CC, paid the past due amount..., set up "no paper bills", and so far, so good.

I know that it is a matter of time. I may get lucky and have no problem until the next smart card issue, or if/when Bell gets the 'hot list' of receivers and starts cutting off service. At that point I can at least terminate both with the CC for charges and (hopefully) directly by closing the Bell A/C on-line.

I supppose I also need to advise my CC that any charge attempt by Largo is to be blocked, but the next likely time for that would be July 2009. I am of course royally pi$$ed off that Largo took my $$ (including a massive fee increase) in July when they obviously knew there was trouble. But, that's life and nowt I can do about it.

Best of luck to you folks who are still in limbo.

Canam injunction

You can blame the greedy folks at Directv, Not Canam for ruining our fun. So much for freedom of ideas in America. If Directv offered the quality and programming choices Canadian providers offer, there would be be no need for the grey market. I miss my CBC News, BBC World news 24/7 and especially BPM TV. MTV in America is full of Crap!

I'll suffer through free over the air TV until American providers offer enlightening, entertaining and multicultural programming! I feel my constitutional right of access to information and the arts have been violated! Someone should sue Directv for violating our rights as US laws were not broken.

Attachments

• 2008-09-01_Marc_Etherington Canam injunction.pdf
    50.8 KB · Views: 876
Hmmm....the above pdf file is located on a DTV Website that describes their actions taken against those who they perceive are violating the law with regard to their service. Pretty scary stuff.....

I can well understand their efforts to protect against piracy and misuse of their signal. What I do not understand is their action against those Americans who wish to obtain Canadian programming WHEN THEIR SERVICE DOES NOT PROVIDE ANY CANADIAN PROGRAMMING. I have never understood this concept: the Canadian satellite services provide the major USA networks and other American programming, yet neither American satellite services nor American cable companies (except those very close to the border) offer any Canadian programming. When I lived in the northeastern part of the US, I fought with several cable companies, to no avail, to get them to add Canadian programming. All I got was a lot of BS about FCC regulations. Can someone explain this to me?

The other thing that scares me is how long will it take before this kind of governmental witch hunt to extends to other grey market brokers?

Last edited:
Don't get me started on my opinion of DTV...not enough bandwidth!

If I had used a pirate card, or other means of getting service for free, I would say hands up, game's over. But, I have and am paying like any other customer. And joshuals, I quite agree, Bell provide US network feeds, and certainly when I am in parts of upstate NY for work, I have watched CDN channels on hotel cable service. So what's the point of claiming FCC or other regulations prohibit sending service across the border? It's television!

My problem with Largo/Canam is their failure to be upfront and honest with long-time customers, particularly since the fees this past July were WAY up over what was charged in 2007. It seems a F**k you attitude, we will get what we can now, and if you are left hanging out to dry, so what? We all knew the *risk* when we used a broker, but with no friends/relatives north of the border, I had no other choice. If Largo/Canam had sent an email, saying that problems were on the horizon, but we can switch you to *C now, or you can take your chances, I would have respected that. It's the silence that I can't condone.

I am one of the lucky ones for now since I still have working service that is fully paid for each and every month. So while I am grateful for that, but I am not and cannot be happy about paying a fee for broker service for 7-2008 through 7-2009 and not receiving the simple courtesy of a reply to my letters asking them to do their job. I didn't demand my $$ back, because I knew that was senseless.

If Largo/Canam really did play games with DTV accounts, then fair enough, they should have their wrists slapped. My EVu account was always straight up, direct billed to my CC, no discounts or other funny stuff to the best of my knowledge. I think the real problem was the Google ads and other 'in your face' red flag waiving advertising. If they had kept a low profile, perhaps none of this would have happend.

Last edited:
certainly when I am in parts of upstate NY for work, I have watched CDN channels on hotel cable service. So what's the point of claiming FCC or other regulations prohibit sending service across the border

It really didn't have anything to do with "across the border" reception. I was told at the time (and this was 30 years ago) that it had to do with the distance that the particular village being serverd by the cable was from the source of the signal; if the village was generally sufficiently close enough such that the canadian signal was available OTA, then the cable company could legally provide that channel to their customers; if the village was too far from the transmitter to receive OTA, then legally, no go, even if the signal could somehow be received at the elevated site of the cable head end. We're talking 30-year old technology here, of course. I warred for months with the cable company in Laconia, NH, which was "too far away" in order for them to provide service; they probably still remember my name....!

But, back to the topic.....

If Largo/Canam had sent an email, saying that problems were on the horizon

I wonder if they really knew in advance. I had no idea what an Anton Pillar search was until I googled it; evidently it comes on pretty quickly and doesn't give the entity being searched any time to take evasive action. I do see your frustruation, though.....

The other thing that boggles my mind is why only one of the two Canadian Satellite Services was affected.... from what I've read in this thread, the Canam/Largo clients that use the "other" service have not been affected......yet....

That link posted above is interesting...they went after his DirecTV broker business (which D* has done before) since it is illegal for Canadians to sub to Dish or Direct

The fact that he did the other brokering on the side didnt help his cause. I think if he did just brokering for US subs/Canadian TV DirecTv wouldnt go after them.

That link posted above is interesting

Did you try deleting everything to the right of the ".com" in the URL so that it takes you to the home page? You can view other activity D* has done over the years to track down those they perceive to be a threat to their business. Some of it is pretty heavy stuff. I would think it would discourage anyone who is thinking about obtaining illegal service.

I think if he did just brokering for US subs/Canadian TV DirecTv wouldnt go after them.

I sure hope you are correct about that !!!

Over for me

Well, I had Bell service until yesterday afternoon. I noticed a zero-length recording, and looked at the guide. I now get a handful of barker channels plus 136 Mystere and 608 Cosmo. Sigh. One good thing - I can still record over-the-air channels, so its time to tweak the antenna.

Would someone be able to PM me with the name of a good broker?

Well, I had Bell service until yesterday afternoon. I noticed a zero-length recording, and looked at the guide. I now get a handful of barker channels plus 136 Mystere and 608 Cosmo. Sigh.

Just curious did you have the updated new access card? I lost my service in early October when the grace period for the card swap ended. (I had been getting on screen warning messages for six weeks.) Or did your credit card on file expire? I heard Bell didn't actually switch to their new encryption until last Wednesday, so I'm wondering if you were shut down due to non payment or has Bell gotten the "hot list" of grey Canam accounts?

Just curious did you have the updated new access card?

Yes - I'd received the access card in August, right before I started hearing about
the raid, etc. I know my credit card was OK. At least that got me a couple of extra months!

Has anyone called Bell to inquire about their closed account? I was thinking of doing that just for the story.

Has anyone been able to get their money refunded? Service shut down on Saturday but their charge came out of my account today. Any suggestions?0

Has anyone been able to get their money refunded? Service shut down on Saturday but their charge came out of my account today. Any suggestions?0

There is almost no chance that you can get you money back unless you go through your CC company.

My best advise is cancel your CC asap if you have not done so already and move on to another broker and/or provider.

There is almost no chance that you can get you money back unless you go through your CC company.

My best advise is cancel your CC asap if you have not done so already and move on to another broker and/or provider.

Agreed. Can Am will never refund your money.

This is not the first time they have been served with an Anton Pillar order. Their shady dealings go back to the days of when Directv was compromised. They have been investigated many times by the RCMP and have been taken to court by both Bell and Directv in the past.

How they remained in business this long is a mystery to me.

Would you please explain what you mean by "shady"....? Do you consider all "grey market" satellite as being "shady" (bad pun, I know.....) If you feel it is, what do you see for the other brokers in light of this investigation?

No, I don't consider grey market shady at all and in fact have it myself for both US providers.

"Shady" in that CanAm also sold D* hacking devices back in the day.

Thanks for the advice which everyone seems to agree. That money is gone and all I can do is stop any more from following. Just need a new broker `cause this is making me crazy.

diane h

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts