Canceled because I'm Moving and they didn't even try to keep me

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Been a long time customer. From 2002 to 2010, and from 2012 til now. My account is in good standing. Been on auto payments. Never late once. Have 9 receivers in the house (we have a Brady Bunch, 6 boys). Bill has fluctuated from $130 to $190 per.

Been trying to get them to come to an agreement within the $170 range, willing to give up programming. They constantly come to an agreement with me and say it's ironclad for 6 or 9 months only to have it automatically change the next month. I have to constantly call to remind them of the credits they "guaranteed" me.

This month they charged me $260. I just paid it as they gave me ST for free last year and I figure I'm still ahead of the game and quite frankly tired of calling them. I am moving next week and called to cancel. They didn't even try to keep me. Too bad. I have been a very happy customer for a long time up until the last 6 months. It just seems to me they have had an overall change in philosophy. I didn't make any threats, just said I haven't been very happy with the treatment I have received.

Too bad, there are a lot of options these days. I tried to be loyal. They just didn't want me.

I canceled last week after being a customer on auto-pay since 2005. I left for several reasons but mainly because Dish carries one particular channel I wanted that Direct does not. The number I called to cancel was one specifically to close an account. They were sorry to see me go but really didn't even offer anything. Maybe because of my reason for leaving but I expected them to at least try to keep me. They are robo-calling me to return receivers to avoid charges. Kind of irritating because I just received the mail back package one day before the calls started.

The thing with the credits though:

They apply the same day FOR the following billing cycle. For example: Your billing cycle is on the 25th, you call in on the 2nd of the month and are given a $10 off for 12 month credit. The credit will apply immediately for the following billing cycle from the 25th through the 24th (or 23rd if a 31 day month), then the billing cycle after, it will continue for the remainder of the period that it's active.

It doesn't apply on the 2nd, then again on the 25th.
I know for my account, my credits dont apply until the 15th of each month, so whatever credit I get won't show up till that date.

I never pay my bill until I know my credits are on my account each month.

I canceled last week after being a customer on auto-pay since 2005. I left for several reasons but mainly because Dish carries one particular channel I wanted that Direct does not. The number I called to cancel was one specifically to close an account. They were sorry to see me go but really didn't even offer anything. Maybe because of my reason for leaving but I expected them to at least try to keep me. They are robo-calling me to return receivers to avoid charges. Kind of irritating because I just received the mail back package one day before the calls started.

Wait a few more days, and they'll probably be sending you "We want you back" mail every other day. That is what happened in my case. It was too late by then, I had already had DISH out for their installation.....
I stayed with DISH for about 14 months and came back to DirecTv when they made me a great offer that I couldn't pass up. I wish they would have made me those offers before I moved to DISH, it would've made things a bit simpler.

DirecTV is tooo high strung. Too bad there is no way to take them down a few rungs!
There is, it's called cordcutting! I did it last month & saving myself almost $100/mth by using Internet streaming services like Sling TV, Hulu, Amazon & Netflix. Only thing I miss is the DVR but apart from that it's great. I'm getting 90% of my programming needs & saving over $1,000 a year. The cordcutting trend is growing rapidly so you'll see providers like D* come down a few rungs pretty soon. Already AT&T is offering some killer deals to retain their cable/satellite & wireless customers so sit back & watch the price wars to come in the latter part of the year.

actually, cord cutting may not be an option for many people on sat tv
much of rural america cannot get hi speed internet

There is, it's called cordcutting! I did it last month & saving myself almost $100/mth by using Internet streaming services like Sling TV, Hulu, Amazon & Netflix..
you did not cut the cord, you just decided to use a different type.! OTT platform seems like a cheaper option now, however when this platform becomes more popular it would be on par with regular pay TV!

Interesting - I am going to go through this soon myself. I am moving in about 2-3 months and will likely have to get FiOS for internet but would like to keep Directv because of the international channel package. I am contemplating staying with Directv (and just getting internet from Verizon) or make it simple by having one bill from Verizon - but not entirely sure about that. I was wondering if there would be any incentive from them but the movers package only seems to give you Sunday Ticket for free - which I was going to cancel anyway, so it's not a big incentive. I guess I'll find out soon enough!

you did not cut the cord, you just decided to use a different type.! OTT platform seems like a cheaper option now, however when this platform becomes more popular it would be on par with regular pay TV!
Only if regular tv starts decreasing their prices which some of them have started doing, namely Att Uverse. The industry is quickly changing my friends and paying almost $200/mth for tv is ridiculous in my view. If you don't believe things are changing rapidly, see my post where I'm now able to get NFL ST Max for $99 without having D* service. The current trends in the market only support your conclusion only if the prices of tv drop, which i predict we will start seeing early next year. An industry that lost almost 600,000 subscribers just in the last 3 mth has now sat up & start to pay attention.

Only if regular tv starts decreasing their prices which some of them have started doing, namely Att Uverse. The industry is quickly changing my friends and paying almost $200/mth for tv is ridiculous in my view. Btw, "cordcutting" is just an industry phrase used to describe customers who have dropped cable & satellite for alternative services & not to be taken in a literal sense.

If you don't believe things are changing rapidly, see my post where I'm now able to get NFL ST Max for $99 without having D* service, and this is sanctioned by D* & AT&T. The current trends in the market only support your conclusion only if the prices of tv drop, which i predict we will start seeing early next year. An industry that lost almost 600,000 subscribers just in the last 3 mth has now sat up & start to pay attention.

i also had to cancel because of where i moved. but directv is sending me letters, at least, once a month to get me back!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts