Canceled My Service Today

Status
Please reply by conversation.
off-topic......but thanks for cleaning up the copy. trust me, it is much easier to read. and information is our friend!!!

Last time I saw I counted the VOOMS were 1280X1080i and have been for a while. We all know the MPEG4 1080i's on E* are 1440X1080i, not 1920 but not 1280 either. The MPEG4 content I've seen looks very good IMHO. HDNet and HDNet Movies got downrezzed due to the free preview HD channel to 1440. HBO, SHO, DISC, the HD PPV streams are still 1920. I think the east and west coast network MPEG2 HD's are still 1920. Not much left but they are slowly taking a page out of D*'s uplink engineer's handbook everyday.

Then the big kicker you can't forget D* runs their SD at 480X480 when E* runs their SD at 544X480. Ouch!!

Which means nothing to me because both pictures look the same on my 50" SD RPTV.:rolleyes:

Wow! We are way off topic now. I had no idea I would start a religious argument, lol!!

I posted the original thread to point out how disappointed I was that D* did not want to throw freebies at me to get me to stay. I feel unloved :(

I have the choice of Comcast, Verizon FIOS, Directv, and Dish. Adding a new player to this market can only help the consumer. Where I live I can see why the satellite providers are not worried about the new kid on the block. Their customer base is national, and geared toward the sports package subscriber. I gave up ST 2 years ago based on the fact that I still watch the Giants the majority of the time, the NFL relaxed the rules so there are more double header games than just the Jets and Giants like it was years ago, I have to attend too many fall baseball games, soccer and swim meets to sit home all day on Sunday watching football, and last the price is getting way out of hand and only getting worse.

So the only thing I actually miss from D* is the HR10-250 TIVO, which would have been retired anyway if I stayed.

Let's hope competition will help all of us get what we want from our TV service.

Wow! We are way off topic now. I had no idea I would start a religious argument, lol!!

I posted the original thread to point out how disappointed I was that D* did not want to throw freebies at me to get me to stay. I feel unloved :(

I have the choice of Comcast, Verizon FIOS, Directv, and Dish. Adding a new player to this market can only help the consumer. Where I live I can see why the satellite providers are not worried about the new kid on the block. Their customer base is national, and geared toward the sports package subscriber. I gave up ST 2 years ago based on the fact that I still watch the Giants the majority of the time, the NFL relaxed the rules so there are more double header games than just the Jets and Giants like it was years ago, I have to attend too many fall baseball games, soccer and swim meets to sit home all day on Sunday watching football, and last the price is getting way out of hand and only getting worse.

So the only thing I actually miss from D* is the HR10-250 TIVO, which would have been retired anyway if I stayed.

Let's hope competition will help all of us get what we want from our TV service.

Well if all your looking for is freebies and D* won't give them to you you are going to have to switch providers and keep switching providers when you don't get what you want.;)

If you have told D* you are leaving and if they don't offer you anything to stay.Then I would suggest that maybe they feel that they have offered you enough "specials"and you need to keep your service alittle longer before you qualify for more "specials".:rolleyes:

I for one am glad they are finally moving on their announced plans to curtail "retention freebies" all it does in the long run is cost the rest of us more money to support those that are never satisfied and constantly jump from provider to provider to get specials and deals regardless of what the real content is. This process is also one of the main reasons that led to minimum contracts.

I for one am glad they are finally moving on their announced plans to curtail "retention freebies" all it does in the long run is cost the rest of us more money to support those that are never satisfied and constantly jump from provider to provider to get specials and deals regardless of what the real content is. This process is also one of the main reasons that led to minimum contracts.

I agree with your statement 100%.The few that might have abused the system will just keep it up until D* changes their policies.Then D* subscribers will have to determine the value of their D* service.Which I value very highly after being with E* for over 4 years.:D

Nope, we didn't have a bitrate monitor there. Just two HD boxes, a HDTV, and about 10 people.

Well then everyone needs to go with the provider that makes them happy instead of complaining about something that D* said right at the first of their HD plans that they would be having bandwith problems.Until all their HD sats are up.Complaining won't do any good unless you have a ladder that will reach 22,300 miles up.:rolleyes:

So subscribers can go with the providers they want and get locked into a contract.So when D* gets their massive HD offerings up in the fall they can wait to come back.Which I'm sure they will.;)

LOL I wonder what the PQ comparisons are vs DirecTV and others on NFL ST/SF and NASCAR and soon to be MLB EI/SF?

but what if those things are not important? what if the best PQ possible is what you're really looking for? Would you then concern yourself with the comparisons? If all things are equal, what would you do?

but what if those things are not important? what if the best PQ possible is what you're really looking for? Would you then concern yourself with the comparisons? If all things are equal, what would you do?

If all things were equal we would have nothing to decide or talk about, because everything would be equal.

The bottom line, all the bitching and moaning is childish and extremely old for two products that are less than 1% different one way or the other; to say the least. Some of these guys bashing have been doing it well over a year, so they need to stop with the contract having them locked in anymore; they know why they stay, they need to just admit it, but they have bashed for so long their pride won't allow them to.

If all things were equal we would have nothing to decide or talk about, because everything would be equal.

The bottom line, all the bitching and moaning is childish and extremely old for two products that are less than 1% different one way or the other; to say the least. Some of these guys bashing have been doing it well over a year, so they need to stop with the contract having them locked in anymore; they know why they stay, they need to just admit it, but they have bashed for so long their pride won't allow them to.

thats fair enough.

for me i'm just about to get D*HD installed on tuesday and was just weighing my options. I guess i just need to stop reading all these internet boards about the PQ comparisons. I've had D* for over 5 years and love the product, never had a problem with them, and is way better than the crap i used to have with comcast.

I've only been a D*TV subscriber for a little over 2 years, but I've read postings of long time D*TV customers waxing nostalgic over the excellent PQ when D was in it's infancy. While FIOS sounds like it rules today, I'm curious what the long term future may hold. Long term, because where I live, we won't see FIOS for 5+ years. So I'm just pondering what the future may hold.

My question is: is there any reason to suspect that FIOS PQ will deteriorate over time? Maybe due to the number of connections, other services crowding bandwidth, fitting more channels into the BW, or something else? Is the next gen HDTV (close to 400% more pixels is what I remember reading) going to overwhelm it? Is color depth a concern? Or is FIOS PQ here to stay?

I've only been a D*TV subscriber for a little over 2 years, but I've read postings of long time D*TV customers waxing nostalgic over the excellent PQ when D was in it's infancy. While FIOS sounds like it rules today, I'm curious what the long term future may hold. Long term, because where I live, we won't see FIOS for 5+ years. So I'm just pondering what the future may hold.

My question is: is there any reason to suspect that FIOS PQ will deteriorate over time? Maybe due to the number of connections, other services crowding bandwidth, fitting more channels into the BW, or something else? Is the next gen HDTV (close to 400% more pixels is what I remember reading) going to overwhelm it? Is color depth a concern? Or is FIOS PQ here to stay?

FIOS is not the end of the line, it too will become saturated as more demand and 'killer apps' come along, as for PQ, only time will tell, while saturation is almost guaranteed, so is improved bandwidth management, and improved compression algorithms, etc.

So it's anyones guess.

FIOS is not the end of the line, it too will become saturated as more demand and 'killer apps' come along, as for PQ, only time will tell, while saturation is almost guaranteed, so is improved bandwidth management, and improved compression algorithms, etc.

So it's anyones guess.

I agree - they all have both strong/weak points.

I got that info from:
Finorik Senato and Bob

Another thing to consider if changing to FiOS.

FiOS also requires you to change your phone service to fiber optics - that has been an issue regarding the fact that your phone now will go dead if the electric goes off - unlike the standard copper wire service that doesn't use power from the electric company.

That wouldn't prevent me, but it has gotten a lot of publicity down here on Long Island since FiOS has been here.

That is not accurate. You can have FiOS TV and Internet while still keeping your copper phone line. The FiOS TV and Internet have to be on a separate account and paid monthly via a credit card. It really isn't a hasle to order it and keep the copper line.

When you call for support you have to tell the automated phone that you do not have a phone number in order to be transfered to the correct department.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)