Canceled My Service Today

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That is not accurate. You can have FiOS TV and Internet while still keeping your copper phone line. The FiOS TV and Internet have to be on a separate account and paid monthly via a credit card. It really isn't a hasle to order it and keep the copper line.

When you call for support you have to tell the automated phone that you do not have a phone number in order to be transfered to the correct department.

I had my phone line switched over to fiber when I got FIOS installed and it works fine. It is not VOIP it is the same POTS line but the signal is carried back to the central office over fiber instead of copper, functionality of FAX, alarms, phones, modems functions exactly like a POTS line (I tested it on my phones).

The system has a battery backup, in case the power goes out that powers the phone system for up to 8 hours of talk time. I tested this the other day I unplugged the ONT power unit picked up the receiver and the dial tone was there, made a call and it was fine, actually the line sounds louder and clearer than the old copper line.

I went to bed, got up 8 hours later and the dial tone was still there and again made a call no problem. I went to work came back and I still had dial tone! So its 8 hours of usage not total time. If you are really worried about your power grid you can get a backup battery and charger in case you power is out for weeks and you need to make a lot of phone calls. If that is the case though you probably will have more to worry about than if the phone works.

The benefit to Verizon for this is they are going to save a lot of money not needing to have to supply power to the phone system for the POTS phone network. The draw back will be the customer will now be responsible for powering his own network. This may be a deal breaker for some, me I don't care.

I had my phone line switched over to fiber when I got FIOS installed and it works fine. It is not VOIP it is the same POTS line but the signal is carried back to the central office over fiber instead of copper, functionality of FAX, alarms, phones, modems functions exactly like a POTS line (I tested it on my phones).

The system has a battery backup, in case the power goes out that powers the phone system for up to 8 hours of talk time. I tested this the other day I unplugged the ONT power unit picked up the receiver and the dial tone was there, made a call and it was fine, actually the line sounds louder and clearer than the old copper line.

I went to bed, got up 8 hours later and the dial tone was still there and again made a call no problem. I went to work came back and I still had dial tone! So its 8 hours of usage not total time. If you are really worried about your power grid you can get a backup battery and charger in case you power is out for weeks and you need to make a lot of phone calls. If that is the case though you probably will have more to worry about than if the phone works.

The benefit to Verizon for this is they are going to save a lot of money not needing to have to supply power to the phone system for the POTS phone network. The draw back will be the customer will now be responsible for powering his own network. This may be a deal breaker for some, me I don't care.

The next County/Parish over from us the local telco has fiber to the home. http://www.eatel.com/universal.cfm?pageid=701

After Katrina, I know several people that upset that had no phone service after the power being out for a day. Several folks in that area had no power for days due to all the trees that were knocked down. They need bigger batteries on these things, not just 8 hours.

That is not accurate. You can have FiOS TV and Internet while still keeping your copper phone line. The FiOS TV and Internet have to be on a separate account and paid monthly via a credit card. It really isn't a hasle to order it and keep the copper line.

When you call for support you have to tell the automated phone that you do not have a phone number in order to be transfered to the correct department.

Is FIOS all FTTP? I thought it was FTTN, like Uverse.

The next County/Parish over from us the local telco has fiber to the home. http://www.eatel.com/universal.cfm?pageid=701

After Katrina, I know several people that upset that had no phone service after the power being out for a day. Several folks in that area had no power for days due to all the trees that were knocked down. They need bigger batteries on these things, not just 8 hours.

I would bet that the CO did not have power, or were severely damaged, not to mention that the lines, if on utility poles, would have been down. If anyone had phone service at all on copper lines it would have been sporadic, and lucky.

I work for Lucent and we were down there to help the Cellular service provider get there networks back online. The cell sites were severely damaged that it made no difference if the backup power was operating.

Like I said in my post if I was in NO after Katrina my phone service would be that last thing on my mind.

Also it's 8 hours of "talk" "off the hook time" not 8 hours from when the power went out. If a storm like that hit my area, the utility pole network I am 100% sure would be breached so wouldn't mater if I had fiber or copper service.

Then what name do you post under at DBSTalk and AVS? I'd like to see your "equal opportunity" bashing in those forums. BTW, I'm registered at all three as "Newshawk"... so what you see here is what you get there. I just want to see if the same is true with you.
Who cares? A directv customer that bitches about their own product is more credible than someone constantly praising the service. The only thing Directv has on the competitors are the sports packages. PQ is better on many other systems. All digital cable and fios are better, they just don't have the offerings that directv and dish have. They will. If you need the sunday ticket and mlb, direct is your only choice. If you don't care and go by pic q only, directv loses, and we all know it. I'll bet that if we get 100 people on these boards in the same room punches may be thrown. It is amazing how passionate people are about the service they picked even if they made a mistake. Bottom line is if you are happy, great. If not, move. America is great!!!!:up

Who cares? A directv customer that bitches about their own product is more credible than someone constantly praising the service. The only thing Directv has on the competitors are the sports packages. PQ is better on many other systems. All digital cable and fios are better, they just don't have the offerings that directv and dish have. They will. If you need the sunday ticket and mlb, direct is your only choice. If you don't care and go by pic q only, directv loses, and we all know it. I'll bet that if we get 100 people on these boards in the same room punches may be thrown. It is amazing how passionate people are about the service they picked even if they made a mistake. Bottom line is if you are happy, great. If not, move. America is great!!!!:up

Great post!

I agree with most of your comments, but....

Even you say it -"Bottom line is if you are happy, great. If not move."
I think thats what newshawk asked him really.

Finorik Senato Bob R.I.P.

This would be a definite change in policy if true - and a very wise one indeed. As mentioned, I inquired when it hit my town, but I was told I had to change my phone service also. So - this is a step in the right direction for sure!

Thanks for the info.

Finorik - M.I.A.

Sorry I have to disagree.I didn't come over to D* for sports but for the several basic channels that D* provides compared to the others.As for PQ my SD PQ on D* is the same as I had with E*.Complaints? Had a D* CSR lose my package but D* made it right.:up
What's the difference between cable and Fios?.I would say not much because when your service goes down.....it goes down.There is a plus to the stability of a satellite system.:rolleyes::welcome

Sorry I have to disagree.I didn't come over to D* for sports but for the several basic channels that D* provides compared to the others.As for PQ my SD PQ on D* is the same as I had with E*.Complaints? Had a D* CSR lose my package but D* made it right.:up
What's the difference between cable and Fios?.I would say not much because when your service goes down.....it goes down.There is a plus to the stability of a satellite system.:rolleyes::welcome

What are these several basic channels that directv has now that fios doesn't?

I agree with most of your comments, but....

Even you say it -"Bottom line is if you are happy, great. If not move."
I think thats what newshawk asked him really.

Finorik Senato Bob R.I.P.
And it looks like he will. There is a small thing directv has on him called "2 year commitment". Even though the product and hardware is not as advertised. The thing that chaps my ass about BOTH dbs companies is the 300 bucks you have to plop down for a dvr that isn't yours. I can't get over it and I was one of the suckers who paid a grand for the 10-250. That one I owned, and it sucked. I am tired of investing thousands and thousands of dollars for equipment I do not own, and they do not funtion as advertised. Newshawk was calling him out, plain and simple, as were many others. As Tommy Boy stated, "I could stick my head up a cows ass to pick out a nice steak, but I'd rather take the butchers word for it. Problem is directv(the butcher) has no credibility, so everyone who reads and uses these posts positive and negative to form their own opinions will have to keep sticking their heads up providers butts to see the truth.

OVERRATED...... My digital cable hasn't gone down that I know of since I've had it. Never a missed recording on my dvr's. I've lost sat signals for hours at a time.

OVERRATED...... My digital cable hasn't gone down that I know of since I've had it. Never a missed recording on my dvr's. I've lost sat signals for hours at a time.

One thing for sure when it does you won't forget it.;) Don't have a DVR don't see the reason to record channels that repeat themselves...and often too.

If you lost your sat signal for hours your dish was not aligned right.The funny part is they all get their signal from satellite.:eek:

And it looks like he will. There is a small thing directv has on him called "2 year commitment". Even though the product and hardware is not as advertised. .

Thats exactly what has me on the fence right now, and its the additional 2 year commitment. When I "negoitated" my upgrade to the HR20, I was able to get them down to $99, plus $10/month credit for a year, and four months free of HD content ($9.95/month). So, I guess net-net, I come out ahead.

But if the PQ is really that bad (and honestly I don't know who do believe anymore), then its not worth it to me to stuck in a 2 year lock down. The thing is, I've never had HD personally, so going from SD to HD even with D* has to be a huge improvement. But does that fall into the "doesn't know any better" camp?

I do not subscribe to D* for ST, EI or any sports packages. I subscribed originally, five years ago, because I got tired of Comcast raising prices and their PQ being really bad, in my house. I've been to other house where it wasn't that bad. But regardless, I have been happy with D* ever since. I've always thought the PQ was 10x better. Customer service was better, and they were always good to me as far as upgrading equipment, vouchers, etc.

Bottom line for me, I just spent some nice money on a TV, and I want to get the best overall experience, with PQ being number one priority. D* seems like their on their way to adding alot more HD content, but won't all the others follow suit soon after?

One thing for sure when it does you won't forget it.;) Don't have a DVR don't see the reason to record channels that repeat themselves...and often too.

If you lost your sat signal for hours your dish was not aligned right.The funny part is they all get their signal from satellite.:eek:
My dish captures the signal in the 90's consistently, so that is wrong. We have BIG summer storms in the midwest, and when it snows I have to get out and scrape the dish off. The difference between rain fade on a dish on the side of your house and a main dish at the cable company is, oh, 100 feet? Come on now.

Thats exactly what has me on the fence right now, and its the additional 2 year commitment. When I "negoitated" my upgrade to the HR20, I was able to get them down to $99, plus $10/month credit for a year, and four months free of HD content ($9.95/month). So, I guess net-net, I come out ahead.

But if the PQ is really that bad (and honestly I don't know who do believe anymore), then its not worth it to me to stuck in a 2 year lock down. The thing is, I've never had HD personally, so going from SD to HD even with D* has to be a huge improvement. But does that fall into the "doesn't know any better" camp?

I do not subscribe to D* for ST, EI or any sports packages. I subscribed originally, five years ago, because I got tired of Comcast raising prices and their PQ being really bad, in my house. I've been to other house where it wasn't that bad. But regardless, I have been happy with D* ever since. I've always thought the PQ was 10x better. Customer service was better, and they were always good to me as far as upgrading equipment, vouchers, etc.

Bottom line for me, I just spent some nice money on a TV, and I want to get the best overall experience, with PQ being number one priority. D* seems like their on their way to adding alot more HD content, but won't all the others follow suit soon after?
I would have NEVER considered having cable until Time Warner went all digital in my area. I have always hated cable and been with dbs. Times are changing, and I am hardheaded. If you live in a area that has a quality all digital cable provider, it is worth looking into, if not, like most of the country, stick with directv.

I would have NEVER considered having cable until Time Warner went all digital in my area. I have always hated cable and been with dbs. Times are changing, and I am hardheaded. If you live in a area that has a quality all digital cable provider, it is worth looking into, if not, like most of the country, stick with directv.

I do have the choice of going to FiOS...I would never go back to comcast.

I have about 7 months to go on a commitment w/D*, so the out of pocket to stay compared to leaving would be a wash. But getting the HD install would start a whole new 2 year period, and that's what has me hung up. If I didn't, then I would try D* make my own choice. But I don't have that luxury, so I rely on you guys.

I would bet that the CO did not have power, or were severely damaged, not to mention that the lines, if on utility poles, would have been down. If anyone had phone service at all on copper lines it would have been sporadic, and lucky.

I work for Lucent and we were down there to help the Cellular service provider get there networks back online. The cell sites were severely damaged that it made no difference if the backup power was operating.

Like I said in my post if I was in NO after Katrina my phone service would be that last thing on my mind.

Also it's 8 hours of "talk" "off the hook time" not 8 hours from when the power went out. If a storm like that hit my area, the utility pole network I am 100% sure would be breached so wouldn't mater if I had fiber or copper service.

I wasn't talking about N.O. N.O. is not serviced by Eatel, BellSouth services N.O.

Several folks that had the fiber system were down. Cell phone towers kabookied..signal but no circuits to dial. They used their neighbors copper Eatel POTS since their batteries had died on their Fiber system.

I do have the choice of going to FiOS...I would never go back to comcast.

I have about 7 months to go on a commitment w/D*, so the out of pocket to stay compared to leaving would be a wash. But getting the HD install would start a whole new 2 year period, and that's what has me hung up. If I didn't, then I would try D* make my own choice. But I don't have that luxury, so I rely on you guys.
Directv e mailed me yesterday and told me that the cancellation fee is a flat 150.00 if you are not satisfied. They would not even give me a 30 period to see if the hr20 sucks as bad as everyone says it does as well as the hd lite. You would think that a company like directv would believe in their product enough to let you go if the product wasn't satisfactory. Cable will take your box back the 1st day or a year from now if you are not satisfied. Dish will let you out as well(you just have to pay the 49.00 install fee). I wonder why Direct won't stand by their product. I can go out and spend 50,000 on a new bmw and take it back if I hated it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts