Cancelled Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jillian

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Georgia USA
I got my statement today and my bill went from $51.98 to $74.98 and I said woa!! that is enough!! I called them and they said my discounts had all expired. I asked to be canceled . Then I was offered another one for $54.98 for a year . I said no thanks , I am looking for a permanent solution.

I am now looking into my local cable company who has a bundle that includes unlimited local , 100 minutes of long distance , Basic and Expanded and Digital , 6mpbs High Speed internet for $114.99 plus tax.

Also another package just like the above one except for no digital , and only 2mpbs of high speed internet. This one is for $94.99. These are not promotion packages. These are the regular rates unless they raise them.

Or Dish , which is cheaper than Directv. haven't decided which yet. I am not much of a TV watcher and will not pay over $52 a month for TV. I'll just get rabbit ears before I pay such outlandish prices to sit before a TV> Just not for me.

I liked Directv. Never had a problem. I just cannot pay that kind of money to watch a TV. Not my values

Last edited:
Well I called them back and told them not to cancel my account after all. I really like Directv and don't want to go to cable. I might have to at some point. Don't know what my financial situation might be with the economy like it is.

You should have known the price would go up after a a year when you signed up. They make that pretty clear. But anyways glad you decided to stay.

100 minutes of long distance? Is that a joke? Any halfway decent phone company gives unlimited long distance in the US and sometimes Canada. I haven't paid for "long distance" for years. It sounds like something from the 1980's. You should be able to get unlimited without paying extra.

:confused:

I just cannot pay that kind of money to watch a TV. Not my values

Well I called them back and told them not to cancel my account after all.

Values must have changed within 60 minutes.
:D

100 minutes of long distance? Is that a joke?

The cable companies are a joke.

My GF lost her COMCAST cable TV, phone and internet service one day last week. She had to wait around from 4:00-6:00 on Saturday for a COMCAST service person to come out. It turns out some idiot from COMCAST accidentally disconnected her townhouse in the green box outside. I told her to watch her bill and make sure they don't charge her for that service visit. They aren't supposed to since it was an issue outside but who knows, they might. If anything they should pay her or credit her account for being without service for 3 days.

100 minutes of long distance? Is that a joke? Any halfway decent phone company gives unlimited long distance in the US and sometimes Canada. I haven't paid for "long distance" for years. It sounds like something from the 1980's. You should be able to get unlimited without paying extra.

Agreed! I pay about $9.60 / mo for my ALL-INCLUSIVE VoIP service with every feature know to humans including unlimited LD.

I really think although you may save a few dollars with cable bundling; its not all is cracked up to be and you are stuck into their bundling jail and to me its never worth that.

Ultimately cable is NEVER the way to go with the possible exception of high-speed net if you have no other options.

gee guys.. How much is the Internet service that the VoIP rides on? Without that VoIP is useless

My internet is used ALL THE time (AND a LOT) for both home and work use. It costs me $39 / mo (of which I pay $19) and $10 for the VoIP so for about $50 total a a TON or usage its a GREAT DEAL that beats nearly any bundled deal and its separate; so I can come & go as I please without worrying about what happens if I "un-bundle"..

Yeah I'm switching to myself after 15 years with DirecTV. I got very aggravated by the D11 launch and the joke of all the Sports HD channels instead of stuff I wanted. I'm paying $115.00 a month for 4 DVR's with NO Movie Channels and HD service on 1 set.

I can get everything I want on DISH for $70 a month including DVR's for 4 TV's (don't like the shared concept but $450.00 a year is worth it). I wont' lose any channels I want with the Top 200 and I can get the 5 Superstations if I want to spend $6.00 more a month and I've missed those since I got DirecTV (Had full size Dish Before).

After a year my bill will go up $15.00 a month so even if I get the Superstations I'm still about $20.00 cheaper a month and I end up with more storage space overall as well.

I'm thinking about a 2nd HD TV in the bedroom and with this install I can get 2 HD DVR's (other 2 TV's would be SD) and only add $50.00 to my install.

I have been holding off for a month but don't see how I cannot go with this. I haven't called DirecTV yet but they'll never match the deal I don't think. They would have to give me what I"ve got now for $40.00 less a month and give me another HD DVR to keep me. I still end up without those Superstations that I enjoyed so much on my big dish.

I have nothing against DirecTV at this point other than price and the way they screwed us on anticipated HD Channels 2 years ago with D11. I expected so much more.

On DISH for about what I'm paying now I could get the Everything Pack and 4 DVR's and it might be same price 1st year and $15 more from then on. But I would have ALL the movie channels then instead of NONE.

Just my opinion and I would welcome someone to change my mind. But price is the big factor for me right now. I'm reducing all costs where I can.

DIRECTV never promised a lot more national HD channels with the launch of D11.

I never got aggravated over it, or felt they screwed us.

You'll be leaving DIRECTV just before the add a lot more HD national channels.

Comcrap in our area has a couple of packages for the telephone packages, one unlimited, other an el cheapo package with limited stuff.

As for D*, been with them for 10yrs. Had Dish for a month, but dumped them after a month, although I have a friend's box hooked up. He moved to an apt where his unit doesn't face the birds and don't even have cable in the building.

DIRECTV never promised a lot more national HD channels with the launch of D11.
As the failed HBO/Cinemax HD additions were to commence shortly before D11 launched, I'm not sure your statement is supported. In the context of what HD channels DIRECTV has added in the last 19 months, seven channels is "shock and awe".

Before you get spooled up on making excuses, remember that ESPNU HD wasn't announced as being dependent on D12.

Yeah I'm switching to myself after 15 years with DirecTV. I got very aggravated by the D11 launch and the joke of all the Sports HD channels instead of stuff I wanted. I'm paying $115.00 a month for 4 DVR's with NO Movie Channels and HD service on 1 set.

I can get everything I want on DISH for $70 a month including DVR's for 4 TV's (don't like the shared concept but $450.00 a year is worth it). I wont' lose any channels I want with the Top 200 and I can get the 5 Superstations if I want to spend $6.00 more a month and I've missed those since I got DirecTV (Had full size Dish Before).

After a year my bill will go up $15.00 a month so even if I get the Superstations I'm still about $20.00 cheaper a month and I end up with more storage space overall as well.

I'm thinking about a 2nd HD TV in the bedroom and with this install I can get 2 HD DVR's (other 2 TV's would be SD) and only add $50.00 to my install.

I have been holding off for a month but don't see how I cannot go with this. I haven't called DirecTV yet but they'll never match the deal I don't think. They would have to give me what I"ve got now for $40.00 less a month and give me another HD DVR to keep me. I still end up without those Superstations that I enjoyed so much on my big dish.

I have nothing against DirecTV at this point other than price and the way they screwed us on anticipated HD Channels 2 years ago with D11. I expected so much more.

On DISH for about what I'm paying now I could get the Everything Pack and 4 DVR's and it might be same price 1st year and $15 more from then on. But I would have ALL the movie channels then instead of NONE.

Just my opinion and I would welcome someone to change my mind. But price is the big factor for me right now. I'm reducing all costs where I can.

Be sure to verify the charge for a 2nd HDDVR. I think it is +$17 every month to have a 2nd rec'r

I think you should go with what's best for you and your financial situation. Both services have their pluses and minuses. I've had cable (Comcast), Dish & Directv over the past 14 years (all 3 for a 4 month trial some 4 years ago) and, for me, Directv wins hands down. The main reason for me is Sports. I love pro sports and the packages Directv has is so far beyond anything Dish or Cable has. I know some people could care less about Sports and for them, they go with what's best for their viewing habits. To each his own and enjoy the provider of your choice.

As the failed HBO/Cinemax HD additions were to commence shortly before D11 launched, I'm not sure your statement is supported. In the context of what HD channels DIRECTV has added in the last 19 months, seven channels is "shock and awe".

Before you get spooled up on making excuses, remember that ESPNU HD wasn't announced as being dependent on D12.

But it was announced at a time when D12 was expected to be active bedore March 31st.

It was announced prior to D11, that D11 would mainly be used to move the mpeg2 to mpeg4, expand the sports package HD broadcast, give more local HD, and expand PPV.

Before you get spooled up on making up distortions, yet again, about Direct, remember D11 was used as exactly they said, and D12 will be used to expand national HD.

Personally when ever New hd comes out it will happen in this progression

dealers and distrubs will find out first leak it to Scott and have it up on the front page

then a day of the launch maybe the day before it will show up in Directv online reference informaton system , so that call center csrs can do there thing. So were often the last to know but it the norm around here.

You should have known the price would go up after a a year when you signed up. They make that pretty clear. But anyways glad you decided to stay.

NO they did not make it clear. I have had it for 2 and a half years. and it has just gone up. What they did was to increase the rates. They just gave me two discounts And when I use up the Discounts and they don't give me another , I will go to Dish Network for a much cheaper rate. That's the bottom line.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.