Cancelled SkyAngel

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
It was a very good run. I was able to replace most but not all these channels using both KU and C-Band satellites FTA. (Not Dish or Direct)

I really did enjoy SkyAngel IPTV but wanted to save a few dollars per month.

It was a very good run. I was able to replace most but not all these channels using both KU and C-Band satellites FTA. (Not Dish or Direct)

I really did enjoy SkyAngel IPTV but wanted to save a few dollars per month.

Just started with SkyAngel this week, trying to decide to keep are not. Too much money for so little without DVR functions. Fox News & Fox Business, with Hallmark channels about the only worth while, to keep will also have to add a Tivo unit, more money.

Can you tell us more about finding most channel on FTA?

A lot of the "Faith Package" channels are FTA on KU band on satellite G19 at 97°W. I don't have a C-band setup so I don't know what else is available there. We were disappointed when the Discovery channels were pulled.

A lot of the "Faith Package" channels are FTA on KU band on satellite G19 at 97°W. I don't have a C-band setup so I don't know what else is available there. We were disappointed when the Discovery channels were pulled.

Yes, I also have a G19 setup, I have not gone into all the religious channels on SkyAngel yet to see which ones to delete or not. Mainly got SkyAngel for the other type channels since I do have the G19 setup. Surely SkyAngel will add something to replace the ones they just lot, otherwise not much of a value right now.

we left

We also left Sky Angel. Just not much value there anymore. :(

We actually found most of the channels online for free. We have our computer hooked up to our tv. Almost every faith channel is online for free. Then we subscribed to Netflix. Almost every sky angel movie is also with Netflix and can be had for only $9 a month. Plus, Netflix streams the past episodes from discovery channel and military channel. Netflix lets you take a survey of what type of shows and movies you are interested in. We indicated we wanted family friendly. We don't let the bad stuff come in and have found soooo much to watch.

We were concerned about smile of a child for our kids, but it is online. Even NRB is going to start streaming online soon. We actually found some Christian channels on the internet that are not even on sky angel. So yes, I think we lost two channels, but we picked up a whole bunch more. And our cost is only $9 a month for netflix since we need highspeed internet at our house anyways. If I get time I will list all of the channels we get.

Plus... there are a few clean shows on sites like hulu. Not to mention sites like national geographic channel have a lot of their shows online.

For us, it was that there was just not enough on. I have a rare form of cancer and need to rest a lot. But I just could not find enough on sky angel. Now I have so much to watch and my cost went down.

Next on my list was Christian radio. I found tons for the whole family online and for free. I hooked up my FM transmitter to my computer and I can listen to tons of Christian programming online for free.

Sky Angel made a good run of it, but unless something drastic happens we are not going back. The 48 hour rewind is nice, but we made our own schedule of when shows are on. Plus, why pay for each movie when Netflix has the same faith movies included in their price. If anyone is interested in how we did it and what channels we found online let me know. I would be glad to share.

Thanks, very interesting post. I would like to know the channels you found. My only concern would be not being able to get the Fox new channels. The regular network news does not do a good enough job in reporting whats going on in the world and is way too liberal for me.

My only concern would be not being able to get the Fox new channels.
I agree, Fox channels and the Discovery channels were the main channels for us. With Discovery gone there is not much left. If they weren't going to quickly replace the Discovery channels with some good quality programming they should have reduced the price on the family package. They must be saving some money they were paying to Discovery.

as of july first i too have left sky angel,
i found the ROKU its a box that plays netflix thru the tv,
also has tons of old movies and tv shows for free on it
check it out!
netflix is only 8.99 per month

what we did

I have heard good things about the Roku box. We wanted to be able to access any TV channel on the internet, which I don't think the Roku box does. So here is what we did.

We bought an air mouse. We just bought a cheap gyration brand mouse on amazon for less than 30 bucks. Basically we can navigate and use the air mouse as a remote. It even lets you point it at the TV and not the computer. Sweet.

On our computer I use google chrome as our internet browser. This allows me to organize our channels into folders across the top of the screen. I added Netflix right to the taskbar and can navigate around with the air mouse.

Here is what we have found on the internet to watch:
Hulu.com
Fancast,com
Clicker.com
Slashcontrol.com
Sidereel.com
Crackle.com

News was a concern for us as well. We have primarily been watching CBN News. They update the news throughout the day. They have a politics show, world news on demand, national news, and more. I am not the biggest Pat Robertson fan (I never actually see him on there much), so once and awhile they have some theology I don't agree with. But I can handle this more than the liberal news I guess. Check it out at CBN News Channel

Cspan 1, 2 & 3 all stream online
Bloomberg is live online for free
And all the news networks including Fox stream their broadcast online for free during elections, politcal speeches, or major news events

Fox News also puts Fox New Sunday on Hulu.

Secular channels that do not stream live but include shows that you can watch on their websites include:

history channel
Hgtv
pbs
tvland
nasa
abc
nbc
fox
cbs
cwtv

Christian channels that stream live include:
His channel
The homeschool channel
NRB - coming soon
Safe TV
Liberty Channel
Smile of a child
Cornerstone
Miracle Network
Hope Channel
CTN
TBN
Golden Eagle
God TV
World Harvest
TCT
The Word Network
Church Channel
Daystar
Worship Network
Total Living Network
God's Learning Channel
Inspirational Network
Australian Christian Channel
Christiannetcast.com
Sonlife

What is great about some of these ministries is that in addition to streaming live they have some shows on demand from their archive. Cornerstone and His Channel are great for this.

When you pull up a lot of these Christian channels they are in small windows. Look for a button that gives you the option of expanding it to full screen. Often times right clicking with the mouse on the video also gives you the option. If I remember right, every channel listed one way or another can go full screen or close to it on your tv.

The other thing we do is watch for Christian movies in the CBD catalog. Most of the times these are already available to watch on Netflix. But the CBD catalog helps us to know what is out there.

I hope this helps. I didn't list out the Christian Radio on the internet as honestly I don't feel that well today but I would be glad to if anyone is interested. I just wanted to get this out there to be of some help to my brothers or sisters in Christ.

Mark :)

I left SkyAngel when they switched to IPTV; but for a different reason. My wildblue satellite internet connection was too slow. Now I have the Glorystar system on 97W/101W. After installing several of these, I now sell them too. No monthly $$... Miss the EPG though.

I wish SkyAngel still had the satellite broadcast...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts