Cancelling Service--procedures

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Fox McCloud

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Ok, I haven't recently canceled Dish Network, as I'm not getting what I would like to out to out of it, and it's just another expense....so anyway:

when I first signed up, I was given a free DVR and free installation....all the time I've had the DVR I have not been charged a lease/rental fee.

When I canceled, however, I was told that I had to return the LNBF, the remotes, and the DVR-receiver itself. Is this accurate or correct? After all, it was given to me, for free, and I recall being told that at the end of the contract, it would be my unit to keep....this was (in my eyes)at least, confirmed by no lease fee each month.

So, has the company made a mistake, or do I really have to return it?

Thanks guys.

If you were leasing the receiver then you must return it. If you only have one receiver, you are not charged the fee. When you cancel, they will send you a box to ship the receiver and the LNB back in.

I don't think they would want the remotes. I never sent back any remotes when I upgraded.

I understand they want leased receivers back....

but again, I was never charged a leasing fee:

I have 1 [one] dual-tuner DVR (nothing more, nothing less)...wouldn't this get me charged a leasing fee?

If you have DVR advantage, the lease fee is built into the fee. Your bill wont show a separate lease fee, but it is leased equipment.

I didn't have DVR advantage

I started out with their (at the time) highest package....then I dropped down to the family package.

the only charges I had were:

Package charge
DVR Free ($5.95)
$5.00 fee (not having phone line plugged in)

that's it.....well, taxes too :p

ok, it's not that I don't believe you guys here, it's just that I don't want to send something back that I don't necessarily need/have to....I wanna make sure.

So, this sounds like a case of Radio Shack misleading me over 2 years ago; they led me to believe that I'd get it for free, and that even if I canceled service after my contract was up, I'd still get to keep the DVR.....so much for that.

Oh well, it's a good excuse to get an HD DVR, in the future, if I ever sign up again.

thanks guys.

First/Only receiver has no lease fee, DVR advantage or not. With DVRA, you don't pay DVR fee on one machine. Big misconception on your part.

Big misconception on your part.

No, I was mislead; I distinctly remember asking about the DVR and if I owned it or if I had to send it back if I canceled service after the contract; I was assured that as long as I was out of contract, if I canceled, I would still get to keep the DVR.

not a misconception, again, I was misled.

So he could try to sell it.

nope; I had a number of shows recorded on the DVR that I would have liked to watch periodically....also, for some odd reason, I still got NASA and National Geographic after I canceled, so I would have been able to watch that as well.

In any event, it's packed up now...next time I'll probably just purchase a DVR.

Why even purchase the receiver? The way Dish seems to continually upgrade their services, the chances of you even recouping your losses if you tried to sell the receiver are pretty slim. The lease option seems to be the best, IMO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)