Cannot get signal after moving... and no help from dishnetwork

le fou

Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
Hello,

I have a dishnetwork 500 (only the 119 degree eye is connected to the switch) with a SW21 switch and a 301 receiver.
I moved to Omaha, Nebraska. Before that, I was able to get TV5 on Echostar 3 at 61.5 degree - I had one dish (500) to capture the 61.5 degree signal and another dish (500) to capture the 110 and 119 degree.

At my new location, I cannot orient the dish to get 110 or 119 degree but I can orient the dish to get the 61.5 degree (azimuth 129 degree, elevation 31). So I have only one dish. I tried many times but I never received a signal....

We called dishnetwork and we got a lot of different answers:mad:
Some technicians told us that we need to upgrade to a superdish, other told us that the dish 500 should work.
The third answer that we received was that we needed to have one dish oriented to capture the 110 and 119 degree signal and one dish to capture the 61.5 degree signal - We did explain to them that we could not orient a dish to the 110 and 119 degree because the building would block the signal but they say it should be there....

Any ideas on what I should do?

Sorry that the post is so long. Have a Merry Christmas.

Le fou

Can you post some pictures of your surrounding area? Make 9 more test posts in this thread and you will be able to post pics.

Normaly any dish configuration will work so long as you have a clear line of site to all satellites required, you are using the correct lnbf, switch, and receiver types to get the signals and have them in the proper setup, and you have to have good quality connections and coax, you must also have the dish(s) assemblies mounted on a stable surface and the mast(s) must be plumb in order for the settings your using to be effective.

RandallA said:
If you only have 119 connected, I suggest you remove the SW21 and run check switch. Then try to find 119.
I think the OP is trying to find 61.5 so he should make sure the skew on the dish is set to 90.

"but I can orient the dish to get the 61.5 degree "

Yeah, it was hard to read but I think he can get signal from 61.5. Either way, he should remove the SW21.

And by the way, Welcome to the site.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies. Sorry about the confusion. I can only get the 61.5 at my new location. I will remove the switch and try to post some pictures of my setup asap. Also, I forogot to mention that the skew on my dish is set at 90.

Thanks again,

Le fou

i have a Orasat B 5.0 and i cant get any satellites to pick up is there anyone to contact that could help me if i gave them my zip code?

Here are the pictures. Let me know what you think.

Thanks again,

Le fou

Attachments

• HPIM0153.JPG
    HPIM0153.JPG
    233.7 KB · Views: 201
  • HPIM0154.JPG
    HPIM0154.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 194
  • HPIM0155.JPG
    HPIM0155.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 177
  • HPIM0156.JPG
    HPIM0156.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 177
  • HPIM0157.JPG
    HPIM0157.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 167
Ok so you do want 61.5. Sorry, I was the confused one.

It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the balcony or the structure above the dish might be blocking the satellite signal. The signal comes roughly around 20 degrees higher than what the dish is pointing at. You will need to move the dish so it can clear that balcony. Try putting that stand horizontally, that will lower the dish and might help clear the balcony.

About 3 yrs. ago I had a similar setup when I was living in an apartment and I had to lower the dish so it will clear the balcony above me.

Let us know how it goes.

also you have the dish backwards, turn it around and thent he stand as well, the settings you have it set wont matter because the dish isent facing the right way/angle,ect on the mast

RIRWIN1983 said:
also you have the dish backwards, turn it around and thent he stand as well, the settings you have it set wont matter because the dish isent facing the right way/angle,ect on the mast
That is not a problem it will work either way.

If the dish in the pics is pointing at 61.5, I can't see any problem getting 110/119.

Any building next to yours should be far enough away - unless it's much higher.

As already posted, remember the signal is actually coming from the angle of the elevation NUMBER, which is 22 degrees higher than where the dish pan is pointing.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)