Cannot seem to get W5 working, DSR922, shows up in map but won't program

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

trscott

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Oregon
I have read every message I can find here and everywhere else on the web, including the NPS instructions. But this is still not working. Everything has worked perfectly in my system for a long time, except that I need to add W5 now that X4 is gone.

1) W5 has always shown up in my sat map (well at least since I've been reading about X4 going off)

2) If I key in Option 6 4 4, and point at W5 and hit enter, the sat map goes away and then comes back to the sat map a moment later pointing back at whatever sat I am already at, so there is no way to adjust W5

3) I have tried a re-hit from NPS, no change.

4) Twice I have followed the process recomended a couple places:
a) point at G1, be sure you have the DC light
b) turn off the DSR922
c) Unplug the power cord for 30 sec (I also tried a minute the second time)
d) plug the power back in
e) wait for one hour with the DSR822 switched off

5) The Trip Counter was at 20 before, but now it says 6, and the channels counter says 4804.

6) I have read about a TPT Counter, is this the trip counter? or is there another someplace? Or is this on a DSR920?

7) I have also tried leaving the receiver set to G1-3, G1-150, G1-167, G1-170

Still, W5 shows up in the map, but cannot be programmed.

I've got a 12' dish with high quality C/KU LNBs and I a clear view of the sky, and good signals everywere, so signal strength isn't the problem.

What do I do?

A master reset?

So that means I lose everything and have to begin from setting the limits?

How do you do a master reset?

I really don't want to have to go through all that. I have done it several times myself, after rebuilding my dish, but geez its a lot of work.

What is this that I have read about a TPT counter being over 1920? If I don't have that should I really have to do a master reset?

Somebody please tell me there is another answer.

Why would this work on some receivers and not on others?

Ugh --- so how do I do a master reset?

I finally got through to NPS. Fortunately they were in the office on Saturday, I kept getting home too late during the week to be able to reach them.

Bad news is she verified my counter had reached 1920... and she said that means I have to do a master reset!

For what its worth, just in case this is useful to someone else, to confirm this on a DSR922, you do an "Option 6 0 5", and that takes you to Diagnostics Screen A, then you give it left arrow twice to get to Diangnostics Screen G. Then the top line, fifth number string from the left, mine looks like this:

4938 67 0 0 1920 ... (other digits)

That 1920 apparently means the memory is full and I guess there is no way to delete things to reclaim memory.

WHAT A CRAPPY SYSTEM DESIGN! ARE THERE REALLY PROGRAMMERS OUT THERE WHO DON'T KNOW ABOUT HEAP MANAGEMENT! I HOPE THESE BOZOS ARE NOT WRITING THE CODE FOR WEAPON SYSTEMS SOMEPLACE NOW THAT 4DTV IS DIEING!

But NPS couldn't tell me how to do a master reset. They told me I have to call Skyvision or Motorola.

Isn't there some hacker out there who has figured out some way to force the thing to free up some memory to cure this problem? Seems like there must be a better way around this than dumping everything.

--------

Later:

Well, I called Motorola and Skyvision and they are both closed on Saturday, but the message at Skyvision sent me to their web site and I found their W5 instructions, including confirmation that in my situation I have to do a master reset, and instructions for how to do it. They confirmed that this is the only solution. This is the process (put the gun to your head, and pull the trigger -- oh, no that's the other kind of suicide...), sorry:

"Here are the hidden menu steps to clear the memory. Press OPTIONS then press 67787. A message will appear on your screen asking if you are sure you want to clear the memory. If you are sure you know how to reprogram your receiver, press ENTER on CONFIRM RESET. You will then have to reprogram your receiver at this point."

Here is the web link:
Cband Satellite Frequently Asked Questions

... BANG! squish ... (sound of a .357 going off at close quarters, and disgusting wet mess on the wall...)

DSR922, MR to get W5, what Sats should I save?

Okay, so I guess I have no choice but to do a master reset...

So I want to do this as smart as I can. I guess this is the plan, anything I am missing?

1) Update my spreadsheet list of the counter values for each satellite before I do the reset, to make it faster to put them back.

2) Save the current limits values.

3) QUESTION: The Guide is full of dead listings, can somebody tell me which satellites in the old programming I should ignore because they're dead now anyway? I can go through each and every channel on each and every sat to see if there is anything worth saving it for, but I hate to do all that.

Anything else???

Thanks!

C3, X4. ??? Others?

So it looks like C3 is dark, and X4, what else?

I am only interested in C or KU on a DSR922 4DTV, cause that's all I've got.

If you are only using 4dtv a master reset will take about 45 minutes, only because you have to wait about 30 minutes to load the maps, the easy sat locator will find all the sats for you usually up to AMC-3 (W3), also if your G1 is set to 5000 now, all you have to do is write down your position for all the other birds do the reset and then you will just have to move to the number you wrote down.

99% of the time your transponder definition table maxes out as you move across the arc and the 4dtv gets the Canadian maps from Star Choice, do not program A1/A2 or any ku-band tile in the Star Choice locations and you will most probably never max out the TDT count again.

Progress...

Okay, well I almost did it right. I forgot the first time to have it on the right satellite before doing the master reset, but I wasn't far away, C4, and I knew where I was, and I had recorded all the sats I had programmed. The settings had slipped a bit from one thing and another, so I wasn't lined up quite right anyway.

I like to use G0 for 5000 because it is almost exactly due south of me, which is easier to find than G1 if I ever have to do work on the dish. So I just calculated the offset back to G0, found it and then did another master reset.

I set new limits a lot closer to my actual useful map rather than going as far as the dish would go.

I probably should have written down all the settings for the LNB, and dish type, but I guess they defaulted correct anyway, so I was just lucky there.

I've now got everything back working I think.

VoomVoom, you're absolutely right, C3 is fine, I don't know why I didn't see anything there before, but I do now...

I also dropped G9 because it looks like its just HD (which I can't get) and Wealth...

So the only sats I mapped this time are W3, GB, G3, G4, W5, G0, G5, C3, and G1

Am I missing anything important?

My map is a lot shorter now, nice not to have all the old mappings that were useless.

Thanks for posting your problem. I had the same issue as you did. I followed your directions and...poof! All my channels are returned. It only took me about 30 minutes to do the master reset and program all the satellites back in...yea! I'm now up and running. I have been fretting with the W5 problem for over a week and when I read about why yours wasn't programmable, I checked and found that the memory in my receiver was also maxed out. Goodness knows I've learned a lot, and it saved me the cost of getting someone out here to fix it for me. Thanks again!

Hello everyone.....new to this forum....but I also have the W5/X4 problem.I am checking where all my satellites are and making sure they work before I do the master reset. I also plan to leave the dish on G1 before the master reset. After the reset.......do you just move the dish to a satellite position and save it and move to the next one ect.
I notice if you do option 6,4,4 there is a list of satellites. Some of the satellites have checkmarks beside them and others do not. The checkmarked satellites (35) are exactly the satellites that show up for selection when I want to move the dish to a different satellite...sat button.After the master reset do you have to go to options 6,4,4 and then pick the satellites you want before tuning them in.
I am a little confused...anyone clear this up for me

Thanks

Slauso

I think it's best to be on the satellite you want to program into memory. Being on sat G1 first before a master reset is the best starting point. Then store the limits after it maps in and then the satellite positions you want last. I see no need to store the limits at the physical limits of the actuator, just a bit past your lowest and upper sats you normally use. For me it's AMC10 and G26 presently.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)