Can't change Aspect ratio

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GSH

Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Pine Mountain Lake, CA
I'm subscribed to Direct TV with HD. I'm running an H20 receiver with a Visio P50 plasma TV. When I select local stations I have two options for each major network (ABC, CBS, NBC). One is for HD broadcasts and the other SD. However, on the HD channels I cannot change the aspect ration. Basically 1080p pillar box, stretch and crop all have the same aspect ratio (basically SD) and won't fill the screen. However, with the SD local channel tunned I can adjust the aspect ratio and fill the screen. On the other hand, my Phillips HD TV seems to automatically adjust the aspect ratio (9:16) to fill the screen regardless of the channel option selected. Any ideas?

Thanks,

GSH

Local affiliates that are digital do not show HD 24/7. At most times they are 4:3 pillar-boxed simulcasts of the analog; except during live sports and weekday P/T.

Are you specifically having issues with known HD programming or maybe the above?

I'm subscribed to Direct TV with HD. I'm running an H20 receiver with a Visio P50 plasma TV. When I select local stations I have two options for each major network (ABC, CBS, NBC). One is for HD broadcasts and the other SD. However, on the HD channels I cannot change the aspect ration. Basically 1080p pillar box, stretch and crop all have the same aspect ratio (basically SD) and won't fill the screen. However, with the SD local channel tunned I can adjust the aspect ratio and fill the screen. On the other hand, my Phillips HD TV seems to automatically adjust the aspect ratio (9:16) to fill the screen regardless of the channel option selected. Any ideas?

That is because even though the channel is showing a 4:3 image that is in fact SD, it is being transmitted on an HD channel, and the aspect ration features are not available in the H20 for an HD channel, even when it shows an SD program.

Some TVs will stretch or crop an HD signal, so you might do it thru the TV's menu. My TVs won't do it, however.

Thanks. I guess your diagnosis is correct. I can change aspect ratio when the local channel is definitely broadcasting in HD as indicated by a "DD" in the information box. However, it seems strange that you can't fill the screen without going to SD.

Some (I guess most) affiliates use the entire 16:9 during non-HD broadcasts and sends their own pillarboxing along with the 4:3 images. Your DBS units "thinks" it is already getting a 16:9.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)