Can't connect to Azbox

boomer_106

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
I had the dreaded stuck at loading problem tonight. Putting in the USB and powering up to load wasn't working. I ended up finding an emergency procedure scouring google. It was here by Acwxradar. I did a flash memory format or something to that effect. It's one of the options the Az gives you. Anyhow, I got the box working again. I loaded the patch back up.

The only problem I have now is, I can't connect to it with either the editor (I'm using 2880 FW and editor for now) or filezilla. Previously, I could easily. I went into the Azbox internet settings and set all that back to where it was. Static IP, Wired network, IP address and subnet mask. I went into network service and enabled everything again. I've double and triple checked every setting I can find with no luck. Any ideas?

Hi Boomer,

Although I am still pretty green in regards to knowing my way around the AZBox, I have learned a few tricks.

Here is something for you to try...

Connect the AZBox with a hardwired ethernet cable to your router. Get that connection up and running first. Reboot the box and check the connection (perform the speed check).

After the reboot, go back to the internet connection setup, switch it over to wireless and it should now search for all valid wireless connections. For some reason, you have to start with the wired LAN, then switch back to the wireless before it will seek out the wireless availability. Otherwise it won't search for the wireless.

It seems that the AZBox will only seek out the wireless connection once. So, if you need to reinstate the wireless connection, you have to revert to the WIRED connection first, connect to it and reboot the box and then reselect WIRELESS to restart the seeking process.

If you are using an encrypted connection, you will be prompted to enter the password to connect to it. Enter your password or code and then click on connect. It should connect if all else is set up properly.

If it does not connect, you may need to reconfigure your router to NOT use DHCP and to use static IP addressing for your AZBox.

I am not a wiz at this stuff, so I will allow others to explain how to do this if it is what you need. I managed this, but have problems with a firewall that I haven't overcome yet, so I don't wish to try to explain it to you until I can understand it fully myself.

RADAR

I'm confused by the above reply, since he's already using wired and static.
I went through the same thing yesterday, and in my case, I had forgotten to re-enable FTP and TELNET at first, but I now see you have done that (I responded to you in other forum, then deleted response when I re-read your post).
Anyway, the above is a strange behavior. Initially, I had no problems connecting, but yesterday, initially it didn't seem to connect, even after enabling FTP and TELNET, but then I think I hit the "SETUP" button on the internet window *AGAIN*, and it worked. Ie, I think I had hit that button when FTP and TELNET weren't enabled, but hitting it again got things working..... I THINK.

Only other thing I would suggest would be to do a power cycle on any router in your system. I used to have a netgear router that would routinely forget how to get to different computers and the interntet, etc. I'd do a power cycle, and everything would be OK.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I should really explain how I am doing things so it will help others when suggesting a solution. I'm simply using a crossover ethernet cable from a spare (non internet connected) PC. I have it set up for static and working just fine. No routers, no wireless.

BJ, I just tried what you said hitting setup again. That didnt help. I can't understand what could be wrong here. It wouldn't be so bad if you could rename satellites with the remote but you can't.

If you PC has a USB Keyboard, plug it into the AZ and rename the Sats.

Triple check everything, PC IP Number and all.

I wasn't sure whether a "USB Keyboard" was something special or not, so I tried using a regular PC keyboard with one of those USB-keyboard adapters.
It worked fine for adding a NEW satellite, you could use the keyboard to type in the name.
But I couldn't see any menu where you could "rename" an existing sat. If I highlighted the sat name in the edit menu, neither the keyboard or the remote would change the name. Is there some other menu, or secret key to let you change an existing sat's name?

Now I have to look for a keyboard or USB extension cord, so I can use the keyboard from my recliner. I think I have one of those somewhere.

BTW, just finished adding all missing sats, so I now have everything I can see from 53-133, and nothing else, saved on the PC with only a couple channels added (NASA). If anyone wants a basic sat list to upload, this may be useful as a starting point.
I was also able to add transponders via the editor, and upload them sucessfully, so I'm about to start work on that phase. I'm saving periodically each step, in case I cause a error that brings back all the default sats, etc.

I had the dreaded stuck at loading problem tonight. Putting in the USB and powering up to load wasn't working. I ended up finding an emergency procedure scouring google. It was here by Acwxradar. I did a flash memory format or something to that effect. It's one of the options the Az gives you. Anyhow, I got the box working again. I loaded the patch back up.

The only problem I have now is, I can't connect to it with either the editor (I'm using 2880 FW and editor for now) or filezilla. Previously, I could easily. I went into the Azbox internet settings and set all that back to where it was. Static IP, Wired network, IP address and subnet mask. I went into network service and enabled everything again. I've double and triple checked every setting I can find with no luck. Any ideas?

@ the Red Highlighted:
Below are the steps to fix your problem. This information came from another website. Thanks to Barry.

AZBox Password Restore:

It has been known occasionaly, the the normal password "azbox" is erased and requires re-entering.

Use the Windows Command Prompt to restore the password as follows:

On the PC, press START, and select RUN and in the dropdown box type: CMD and then select OK

This will open the command window with the prompt something like: C:\>

Type: telnet (your AZBox's IP address) and then press ENTER
e.g. telnet 192.168.0.30 and then press ENTER

you will get prompt: MMP login:

Type root and then press ENTER

If your password has been erased you will get the prompt: MMP[~]
(If a valid Password was present, you would have got the prompt- password: )

Type passwd and then press ENTER

You will get the prompt:
Changing password for root
Enter the new password (minimum of 5, maximum of 8 characters)
Please use a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers.
Enter new password:

Type azbox and then press ENTER

You will get the prompt:
Bad password: too simple.
Warning: weak password (continuing).
Re-enter new password:

You will get the prompt:
Password changed.
MMP[~]$

Your password is now restored and you can now exit the command window.

If you PC has a USB Keyboard, plug it into the AZ and rename the Sats.

Triple check everything, PC IP Number and all.

Thanks for the response. Checked everything again. Still no joy

I also didnt know you could rename existing satellites. Do you know the commands?

Thanks for the response. Checked everything again. Still no joy
Start with your PC, what is it's IP address?
List your setup for the AZBox
Wired
Static
IPAddress: Same.same.same.different
Subnet: Same as PC
Gateway: Same as PC

@ the Red Highlighted:
Below are the steps to fix your problem. This information came from another website. Thanks to Barry.

AZBox Password Restore:

It has been known occasionaly, the the normal password "azbox" is erased and requires re-entering.

Use the Windows Command Prompt to restore the password as follows:

On the PC, press START, and select RUN and in the dropdown box type: CMD and then select OK

This will open the command window with the prompt something like: C:\>

Type: telnet (your AZBox's IP address) and then press ENTER
e.g. telnet 192.168.0.30 and then press ENTER

you will get prompt: MMP login:

Type root and then press ENTER

If your password has been erased you will get the prompt: MMP[~]
(If a valid Password was present, you would have got the prompt- password: )

Type passwd and then press ENTER

You will get the prompt:
Changing password for root
Enter the new password (minimum of 5, maximum of 8 characters)
Please use a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers.
Enter new password:

You will get the prompt:
Bad password: too simple.
Warning: weak password (continuing).
Re-enter new password:

You will get the prompt:
Password changed.
MMP[~]$

Your password is now restored and you can now exit the command window.

Wow, thanks for researching all that for me Babadem.
When I get to the point of telnet (azbox ip) and perform that step it gives me....
Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: connect failed

I'm confused by the above reply, since he's already using wired and static.

It was me who was confused... I misread the post. I thought that Boomer was not able to connect "wirelessly" for some reason.

I had this on my brain as I had just experienced some troubles with trying to upgrade to a newer image file. I ended up having to perform a factory reset, which erased my settings including my WEP password.

I haven't been able to find out how to get into the password entry area unless I switch to wired and then back to wireless.

Anyhow, it was just that my brain was stuck in that mode.

:eek:

RADAR

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for researching all that for me Babadem.
When I get to the point of telnet (azbox ip) and perform that step it gives me....
Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: connect failed

Remember, the password is case sensitive. Try using DHCP IP, I know everyone here is recommending Static IP, but I use DHCP and it works for me.

Last edited:
Ok, looks like I found the problem. I had the pc set to 192.168.1.10 and the Azbox the same. I changed the azbox to 192.168.1.20 and it now connects. I'm almost certain I tried that last night and it wouldn't work. Maybe I didn't press the setup button afterward? I must say that even when I do press setup it says connecting then, connection failed, please try again.

Ok, now I'm cooking with gas. I had never been able to send files to the Azbox using the editor. I always got Run time error 9 subscript out of range. (See I remember it by heart:p) It seems that I had never bothered to change the password in the editor to that of the Azbox. I assumed it matched because when I would click test IP connection, it said successfully connected. With all this happening now, the test username password button really caught my attention. I tried it and no dice. I then changed the password to "passwd" (which I originally got from a how to post by Lak and linuxman) and the editor now connects and will send files to the Azbox. It always received the channels from it before. So far it's looking like a blessing that I had this lockup and ensuing frustration (even though I thought I was gonna have to send it back to the Azbox factory to get it fixed) it's forced me to redo this stuff and now has me able to use the editor to send instead of filezilla

Anyhow, now maybe you can answer something else.

The sat list I created from the xml site and edited on my own has a couple of problems. I added all that I could see and got rid of those I can't like Eurobird etc. I added a custom satellite for ESPN feeds. It's all C band frequencies with a SR of 29270. I made the orbital position 90*W just for the heck of it. It still appears at the end of the list but, that's not a problem. I also made custom sats for TNT/TBS which is all C band frequencies with SR 24770 DVBS2 etc. I did the same for CBS, all C band freq, SR of 29860 S2 etc. After loading, it shows the ESPN in the antenna setup but, does not show the TNT or CBS. I wonder if the S2 transponders are causing that or what? The other problem is all of the frequencies and TR I put in for every satellite it only shows the first number of TR freq, and the first two numbers of the SR. Obviously this is useless. Anyone know why that's happening?
I've got C and KU sats for all of them that have both so, I wondered if maybe the Az will only allow so many satellites but, thinking about it, there are a ton in there from the factory with all the east and west birds so, I don't think that's it.

Thanks so much for all the help and if you can answer the smaller problems I still have, that would be great.

I must say that even when I do press setup it says connecting then, connection failed, please try again.
I think it's trying to connect to the Internet.

I made the orbital position 90*W just for the heck of it. It still appears at the end of the list but, that's not a problem.
When a Sat is added, it's given an "index number", that is what's used for sorting, or Alphabetical.
I renamed my Sats starting with the location:
125.0 AMC 21
125.1 Galaxy 14

Any idea why my custom espn sat shows up but, not the TNT or CBS? Also do your Tr frequencies and such work just fine?

Any idea why my custom espn sat shows up but, not the TNT or CBS? Also do your Tr frequencies and such work just fine?
Can you open the Sat / Channel List in the Editor?
If so, it "shouldn't" be corrupt. :)
Rename to:
1TNT
2CBS

See if that works.

Can you open the Sat / Channel List in the Editor?
If so, it "shouldn't" be corrupt. :)
Rename to:
1TNT
2CBS

See if that works.

Yep, I can open it in the editor just fine. Before I got your post, I decided to go ahead and load the latest firmware. That reset all my satellites back to the eurobirds and everything. That's why the delay. I have been trying to send the list back via the editor to the new FW but, it keeps loading the euro sats and everything even though when I load my custom list, none of them show up. No idea why. I'm loading 2880 back now since I had the list load with it there before. I'm waiting on that to load right now.

Do you have to have 1 channel scanned in before the editor will load a custom antenna list?

What you are dealing with is the "Dual Tuner" setup, it seems always want to load a complete Sat List.
Remember that the AZ must reboot after loading the Lists.
What you can try is:
Load your list, reboot (should auto reboot if using Editor to load)
Save your List to the PC Drive, if you haven't done so already.
Then use the editor to retrieve the list from the AZBox.
Do you see your Sat, along with 10,000 Euro Sats?

sure appears that way, yes

Edit: now after going back to 2880, I can't receive or send files to the Az. It says Run time error 9 subscript out of range when trying to receive. It says nothing when trying to send. It's no problem logging on. I Ip test logs on success. Username, password test logs in, success. I can telnet the IP using the cmd to get to the prompt so it's not a connection issue.

I'm reloading 2880 to see if something got corrupted on the way in

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)