Can't find signal on DIRECTV Slimline 5S

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Eric B

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Vanderwagen, NM
I cannot obtain or find a signal for my Directv Slimline 5S! Really frustrating! On my Directv Satellite Dish Setup the configuration is
Azim: 170 Elev: 48 Tilt: 89 Do I use these settings or do I use the Dishpointer setting which says: Elev. 48.2 Azimuth: 156.4 Dish Skew: 101.0
Which settings do I use? I am so frustrated. Please help! Eric:mad:

Make sure you are using the correct dishpointer satellite alignment data for the dish you have.
These should be very close to what the receiver indicates.

If the recvr is telling you where to point it, thats where you want to go.

Something doesn't look right with your settings from Dishpointer, are you sure you had the right Sat punched in ?

Eric,
I am not sure where you got your first figures, but dishpointer clearly says 156.6 azimuth and 48.2 elevation for Vanderwagen, NM. I would go with those settings. Dishpointer has not been wrong for me on all the setups I do on the road in our RV.

The next most important thing is to be very very sure your pole is absolutely vertical. If you are going to just do this once an inexpensive torpedo level can help you get the pole setup correctly. If you are going to do this repeatedly, I would suggest a post level which has 2 sides with level gauges. That goes quicker.

To start with, I just set the elevation I get from dishpointer using the scale on the mounting bracket. This is close enough to at least get you a base signal and you can work from there.

I am going to assume that you are using your receiver's signal meter for the alignment. Make sure the meter is set for satellite 101. That is what you are going to do your main alignment with. I am not sure what the 5S is, but it is SWM make sure that your power supply is in the line and plugged in.

Now you need to be sure that your compass is not getting interference from any metal nearby. (This is why it is easier to setup a dish on a tripod than on the J pole.) Move the compass around until you know you are getting a good reading for north. Set a line to mark off the 157 degree mark on your compass. If the light is not good I take something like a stick and point it in the direction indicated. Then you line up the arm on the dish with your compass or pointer stick. Move it slowly left and right for the best signal. Once you find the best signal tighten the three bolts on the bracket that hold it to the mast. Make sure they are good and tight.

Now loosen the elevation bolts and move the dish up and down until you get the best signal. Tighten the bolts at this point. You should be able to receiver several signals at this point since 101 is the main satellite for SD broadcasts.

To make sure your skew is correct set your meter to satellite 99 or 103. Rotate the dish on its skew axis until you get the best signal strength. When you are there tighten the bolts. You are basically done.

If this is a one-time setup you should probably do the "dithering" process. That involves tightening and loosing the bolts with the black dial looking things on them. Find the one that controls the azimuth adjustment and turn it forward and backward for the best signal. Once you have that peaked, do the same for the elevation.

If this doesn't work you have something wrong with some piece of equipment.

Let us know of your results.
Thanks,
Bob

Dfergie, Jdspencer, Jimbo and Bob! Thanks for the quick response! I will go back to point A and start from their in the morning.
Thanks for all the advice! Will respond back if their are any problems! Again, Thanks guys! Eric

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts