cant find t5 , help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjousuf

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 6, 2004
I got a viewsat ultra and 36" ku band dish and i am trying to find telstar 5 at 97w to get the free afghan channels. The dish is on a level mount, and i get strong signal on the lnb signal meter, but the signal on satellite side, goes from like 40 to 0 then 0 40 and somtimes likes 0 to 20 then 20 to 0 but wont stay on one place. I also cant get any channels when scanning. I have no idea whether it is on locked on T5 or somthign else. Also the LNB skew i have no idea what it is and how do i go about fixing that? Also can anyone give me what LNB type should be selected in satellite menu, what tp, and what the other settings should be before i go out and move the dish again. Spend 2 hours in 105 degrees and dont wanna go out again unless i know exactly what i am doing...thanks to everyone..

I got a viewsat ultra and 36" ku band dish and i am trying to find telstar 5 at 97w to get the free afghan channels. The dish is on a level mount, and i get strong signal on the lnb signal meter, but the signal on satellite side, goes from like 40 to 0 then 0 40 and somtimes likes 0 to 20 then 20 to 0 but wont stay on one place. I also cant get any channels when scanning. I have no idea whether it is on locked on T5 or somthign else. Also the LNB skew i have no idea what it is and how do i go about fixing that? Also can anyone give me what LNB type should be selected in satellite menu, what tp, and what the other settings should be before i go out and move the dish again. Spend 2 hours in 105 degrees and dont wanna go out again unless i know exactly what i am doing...thanks to everyone..

Rjousuf,

You stated that your dish is on a level mount, be absolutely sure of this first. This is a critical setup point. Use a good bubble level (at least 12 inches in length) and check the mast or post on ALL sides, east/west and north/south.

I just wanted to get that point out of the way first, be absolutely certain of it.

Now, you are using a fixed point dish for 97.0W alone? You should determine your precise coordinates (north latitude and west longitude). You can be very precise if you use Google Earth and dial in on your house or whatever site where you are setting this dish up at.

Use those coordinates and go to:

Satellite look-angle calculator

Select "Single Satellite", and "location type entry" of deg/min/sec or decimal degrees. Under the "I am using a DTV....dish" Find the satellite 1 option and dial in to 97.0W IA-5. Then, enter your coordinates on the right. Then, click on CALCULATE and you will receive all the antenna angles you need to set up for this satellite.

As for the LNBF settings, you did not state what LNBF type you have. This makes a difference.

If you have a standard linear LNBF, then set your LNB TYPE to SINGLE or STANDARD (whichever nomenclature that your box calls it) and set the LNB frequency (the local oscillator frequency) to 10.750MHz. Make certain that you double check your LNBF L.O. before you set this. 98% of the time it is 10.750, but you might have an odd one with a different frequency, set it up according to what it shows on the LNBF.

If you have a Universal LNBF, set the type to Universal and the frequency to 9.750/10.600MHz.

As for a TP frequency to seek, try using 12153MHz, SR 20.000 Horizontal polarity. This is the TP that carries Al Jazeera English and you can rely upon it consistently.

RADAR

The satellite in the menu might be one of the following
-T5 (Telstar 5)
-IA5 (Intelsat Americas 5)
-G25 (Galaxy 25)
-G19 (Galaxy 19)...this sat replaced G25

basically look for a satellite in the menu that says 97W :)

The LNB is a Universal so you need to set the info as UNiversal (9750/10600)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts