Can't find tp Freq 11842

It rained here after my return so I didn't attempt anything with the failed dish.
I plan to attempt in the am with a different lnb. G19 isn't very easy here, but it is doable. I'd love to try the new bigger feedhorn lnb. Where can I get one? :)

What I have noticed about the First Strike meter is that it will not always give me a lock on the signal. Sometimes it will go from 4.2 db unlocked to like 7-8 db locked yet the signal meter inside will not indicate that much of a difference in the signal if any at all between both readings. Was there a new software update to correct this or is this an issue with their meters? Do other meters do the same thing as this or do other meters give you a lock indication everytime? I have had this experience in particular with trying to tune in 97W. Sometimes I just go with the 4.x db signal reading and go with it.

I'd love to try the new bigger feedhorn lnb. Where can I get one? :)

The SL1PLL will be shipping next month. BTW.... they will have a lifetime warranty against defect and UV damage. No other manufacturer or distributor offers a lifetime warranty. The GEOSATpro SL1PLL is the first LNBF to ever be sold with a lifetime warranty!

Yes, Stargazer. I have seen the same thing. It is not enough to condemn the meter in my opinion. I don't have any experience with any other meter. I haven't had any contact with FirstStrikeMeters since purchase, so am not aware of any update. I have found that once the meter has locked, it is much more prone to go ahead and lock on other tp's while aimed in the close area.

I'm with you on 'go with it'. Occasionally, one of the 3 required tps is marginal, but the receiver locks and works fine. Serious image pixelization, etc. doesn't usually start until you get below 35% or so.

The biggest thing I am unhappy about is that in one location and one individual dish, I get an immediate lock with 8-9 dB just like the old AMC4 days. Then another dish/location combination, it is a nightmare!

I took the dish that would not produce any useable signal near the airbase to my patio. I sat it on the tripod. I aimed it were I usually look for the satellite over the back yard. I didn't change the elevation. I hooked up my FS1. I went down in the tp choices and stopped on SES1 and started a read. Without scanning, it locked on SES1! I moved down to some of the G19 tps and was able to get good readings!

Who knows!!

I need all the help I can get in some areas. Maybe Max can get me a larger feedhorn lnbf to use in places like that.

Thank you very much!

I will be able to compare side by side.. but more important, I can have all the tools when I try in a place like this last install.

The comparison you published is extensive and I'm not aware of the meaning of all the values, but obviously, SL and SQ seem relevant. On that measure, I want the SL2. I remember a pastor whose church purchased some dishes from your company and you sent SL2 instead of SL1. He was mad.. saying the bigger one was such a compromise. I told him to stop bellyaching and appreciate what you had done for him. Now, after buying 2 SL2's for the feed value, I see how well it compares. I think I will borrow the SL2 in use at a friend's house to compare in a hard find status.

Just yaking..

Again, I'll be glad to use the new PLL. Thanks.

An increased Signal Level (Gain) without increased Signal Quality is usually not needed and typically produces a negative effect. It is all about finding the balance between providing the correct amount of gain without introducing increased amounts of noise to decrease the quality of the signal. As you observe, the ESX521 has tremendous Signal Level (or gain), but it produces the lowest Signal Quality readings. Compare that to the ESZ522 with lower signal level, but much better Signal Quality. I thought it humorous that the ESX521 was promoted by unnamed individuals as the big LNBF breakthrough because of the tremendous gain....... When actually the tremendous gain produced poor performance.....

Sorry to hear that the pastor thought the free upgrade to the SL2 was a compromise! Just shows how perception often wins over reality!

Last edited:
I re-reviewed the comparo report with your explanations in mind. I also read most of the thread. I learn more and the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know.

I noticed some draw more current. Still not a large amount. The heat in Georgia sun is worse than the heat caused by the power consumption. But by ohm's law, 13 volts through a given impedence should draw less current than 18 volts.

My perception of the 521 was high, but I'll now be able to do some reality checks. I'll compare an sl1, sl2, 521, PLLsl1, and SNH 031

The pastor mentioned and the folks at his church indicated they still needed help re-aiming. I offered to help, but they haven't gotten serious. That's ok. They are 2.5 hours away. Incidently, my easiest aim ever was there at the Ag Expo.

Thanks again.

The last two installs I did I had no issue with getting signals to balance out but I have seen issues with balancing out signals on some priors before the last two. There seems to be certain "tricks" that one learns after messing with these systems long enough. I am very curious how much better the Trimax meters are and how much better these new lnb's are.

I like the Glorystar dishes because they use the same arms/poles as Dish Network and the older Directv dishes (can use pole adapter which I have many of and can be found cheap for the larger poles). The dishes seem easy to handle.

Stargazer, I'm with you on your comments. I've had similar experiences. This last one was so 'in my face' frustrating. Everything was so clean and seemed right for a good find. One dish just plain would not give a good signal. Brought it home and it worked perfect. Go figure!

Generally over the past couple years learning this, I've left lnb adjustments to last because they only finely tweek the sq. But, the overall performance of a particular lnb does have influence over how well the search goes. As you can see from the above post, I'm gaining a collection. I just have to repeat: I bought an ESX521 that came cracked and totally nonfunctional. WS refused to support a replacement without my first paying an additional shipping charge ($13 for a small box to Atlanta). I don't know yet, but I imagine Brian can get an lnb to me from California for a similar price or less.

Geosat 90cm dish: Yes, it is very good in its price range. I'm very comfortable assembling and installing it. I just continue to remind myself not to loosen up the post clamp too much for smooth easy azimuth panning. If I do, the elevation sags and when I tighten up the post clamp, the dish rises. I don't have any experience with Direct or DishNet hardware.

On the Trimax 3500, I really like it's features. Max sells it for 357$. I'm interested in Brian and others' take on it. I'm doing pretty well with FS1, but the analyzer and realtime video for the 3500 would be soooo nice.

:) Bill

The signals are pretty sensitive and cannot be very loose as tightening and loosening does affect the signal so I understand what you mean about that.

I would also love the Trimax real time analyzer and real time video. Very curious of how well that would work. Wish I had one to try out to see if I would like it.

I would love to get my hands on a Trimax also. 360ish dollars is a lot to invest in something I don't use every day. Seeing all the tp's laid out there on the analyzer would allow us to see when the three we need 11842, 12115, and 12152 are up in acceptable levels. Then, just lock down the dish to set up the receiver, then, maybe tweek.

As you can see from pervioius posts here, I'll soon be able to compare the new pll lnb as well as the SNH-031.

That is exactly what I was seeing. Don't use the meter everyday but would be great to see those three transponders needed to balance the signals all at the same time.

Yup!! Is anyone else looking here? Brian, Bob, Pop, etc. do any of you have an opinion on this meter? Not that it is so critical, just curious window shopping. :)

Never used either of the discussed products. I own a Super Buddy. The most reliable and sensitive meter that I have ever owned.

The ability to verify and document LO drift and run POP scans to document set-ups is invaluable.

Hi Pop. Are you talking about the 1100c dvr? If so, I can agree. Dragging a 120v cord and 2 boxes out to the dish isn't fun, but the info is great. I saw info about the MicroHD, but can't figure out what it is. Is it a tuner to work like the GeoSat receivers we use now? Where can I read about it?

Tanks for your comments, Brian. You can't be expected to know all about every developing device out there. I certainly appreciate the Super Buddy based on users' endorsements.

I just talked with my brother-in-law in New York. He is attempting to install a new GS system. He has only a signal strength meter of some sort. I think I could help him, but it is 1000 miles up there.

The reason why I want a signal meter is due to the fact that it is more sensitive than the receiver's signal meter therefore its going to tell you if your close to the satellite.

I'm not so sure, Stargazer. After I got the FS1, I didn't hook up a tuner/tv anymore, but while watching the signal meter inside, it looks very fast as it refreshes frequently and you can see a history laid out across the screen for about 6 or so seconds. I haven't seen an answer to my question to rv1pop above. Maybe he will say if he thinks the receiver contained meter is equal.

I'm also interested in the features and functions of the new MicroHD.

:) bill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)