Can't get 1080p on my 1080p set. What gives?

I have a JVC HD61FH97 that is 1080P. I have used a Toshiba HDXA2 HD DVD at 1080/24 with no issues and I get the incompatability error too. Pretty strange as my TV accepts pretty much everything, 480i/p, 720p/1080i/1080p......

Any suggestions? Using straight HDMI to the TV.

Wait to see if L6.13 fixes this issue.

"Any suggestions? "
Switch to "Post EDID.." thread and upload your TV data.

It ain't gonna happen because most here are not that technically inclined to know how to get that data. And, I am sure that there are many who's tv's are not physically in the proximity of their computers even if they could figure out how to do it.

Example. I, myself, am running on a G5 Mac. I wouldn't know how to access my video card, and even if I could, my computer is in the den, and my TV is in a totally different room.

The bottom line to all this is that it is NOT our responsibility to figure out how to fix this. It is Dish's. No one should have to go to the trouble to get EDID's to give to Dish's engineers. Dish SHOULD have figured this out BEFORE they released 1080p content, possibly by doing a limited beta rollout to those who were WILLING to do some troubleshooting. But being that they didn't do that, but instead, rolled out a new product, than we, as their customers, SHOULD expect it to work and if it doesn't work, we should expect them to fix it WITHOUT us having to lift a finger.........and.........they may very well have with the L6.13 update. We will see.

Posting complains here would change nothing !
At least EDID files will give technical feedback what Dish developers need to FIX the damn FW.

Posting complaints here "may" have changed everything. I'm not sure what the catalyst was for a "1080p fix" in L6.13, but there is the possibility that posts here as well as at dbstalks and AVS may have reached Dish devs.

The fact is, is that Dish should have looked at these EDID files in beta BEFORE they did a general release on this product.

You are not going to get the end consumer to run through hoops to help fix a problem that lies in Dish's doorsteps.

Perhaps if Dish themselves came on here and asked for some help in collecting EDID's, the response may be a bit different.

But again, this new software update may in fact make this all a moot point, but I'm curious. If it does fix the problem, would you STILL feel that the problem lies with the TV's manufacturer?

There's no need for the receiver to read or care about EDID data. All it has to do is output the confirmation screen in 1080p and wait 10 seconds for the user to confirm he/she sees the video. No response and video is reset to normal with a timeout/not compatible message.

Time of such Windows type setup is gone -

What does this mean? Makes no sense to me....

As far as HDCP:
HDCP data is already available for the test from the Diagnostics/HDMI analysis module - no further testing should be required, simply query for the data bit.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for you, the process cannot be simplified like that; perhaps you need take deep look into software implementation of enumeration of sink device while use DVI-D and HDMI interface with HDCP.
Seems to me you overloaded by your experience with M$ Windows.

Unfortunately for you, the process cannot be simplified like that; perhaps you need take deep look into software implementation of enumeration of sink device while use DVI-D and HDMI interface with HDCP.
Seems to me you overloaded by your experience with M$ Windows.

The point is: Dish network HDMI capable receivers had better already be doing the required functions for HDCP regardless of any VOD issues. If they are not, shame on them - it's their problem to implement. That should have been done a long time ago.

Why would I waste my time doing that??
I PAY Dish Network to solve that problem and make it work!

Perhaps you should do an in depth deep analysis as to why you think you need to solve dish network engineering problems for them.......

Time of such Windows type setup is gone - there is HDCP check also, more complicate then you think.
Your assumption I use Windows is wrong, and it's you who are making this more complicated than it has to be. I have written many interfaces, it's always best to assume the other end can handle the data than try to verify with queries since every manufacture and model replies differently. Just send the data and if the other end doesn't like it, it will be obvious to the user. Same applies to web site design, don't do so many browser checks denying users the data. HDCP is a different matter.

the 1080p movie

I have received several answers from dish network customer service regarding the the 1080p movie on channel 501. I have a vizio 42" full 1080p set. First they said I had one of the early vp622 boxes which did not have the necessary software to receive the 1080p signal. So I upgraded to the vp722 box which they assured me would work. It doesn't. When I called back today they said my tv processed the signal at 60 frames per second. The signal from dish is transmitted at 24 fps. What gives?

Since dfergie merged stillcrankin's thread with this one, I'm deleting the link to this thread to avoid confusion.

Last edited:
I have received several answers from dish network customer service regarding the the 1080p movie on channel 501. I have a vizio 42" full 1080p set. First they said I had one of the early vp622 boxes which did not have the necessary software to receive the 1080p signal. So I upgraded to the vp722 box which they assured me would work. It doesn't. When I called back today they said my tv processed the signal at 60 frames per second. The signal from dish is transmitted at 24 fps. What gives?

Don't know. Checked with Vizio and all new HDTV models of theirs fully support 1080P/24 input which is then downconverted to the native resolution of the set. 720P in my case on my VO32LH 32" set.

I am waiting for update 6.13 to get to my 722 that is connected to a Sony 1080p and for the latest VOD 1080p movie. This set had the not capable problem with IAL with update version 6.12. Has anybody had any luck with update 6.13 working with 1080p movies that previously had the not capable problem?

No luck on my 722 which has 6.13, my 622 still has 6.12....I have called tech support and provided them with manufacture and model number of all equipment involved.

Well, sure didn't want to hear that. I was hoping 6.13 would fix all TVs that have the not capable with 1080p VOD. Thanks tstolze, hope you keep us posted.

Well, sure didn't want to hear that. I was hoping 6.13 would fix all TVs that have the not capable with 1080p VOD. Thanks tstolze, hope you keep us posted.

Received 6.13 on my 622 overnight. No help on this setup either. One thing I have noticed on both systems is that when I choose to rent, then the screen goes blank, for just a second or so I see a picture asking me to confirm my request, then blank ,then to the screen stating my monitor is not capable.

Almost seems like the time of the conformation screen is to short, maybe if they could extend it by 5-10 seconds?

Received 6.13 on my 622 overnight. No help on this setup either. One thing I have noticed on both systems is that when I choose to rent, then the screen goes blank, for just a second or so I see a picture asking me to confirm my request, then blank ,then to the screen stating my monitor is not capable.

Almost seems like the time of the conformation screen is to short, maybe if they could extend it by 5-10 seconds?

Received 6.13 and 1080p 10,000 BC last nite. My Sony 1080p still said not compatible. Went ahead and rented it anyway. Picture is great but it is no 1080p quality. BluRay 1080p DVDs are awesome on this same TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)