Can't get 21.1 ir/UHF remote to work on hopper

classic cartoon fan

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
Preble County, Ohio
I busted my hopper 40.0 remote and I bought this 21.1 at Target to replace it (nobody had 40.0 remotes). I did a google search and searched on here and found an older forum that someone had success programming the 21.1 to work on the hopper. I followed those directions including switching the tab to one and the switch near the batteries to IR and followed the remaining directions to program it and I can't get the darn thing to work.
I know it's silly, but I need something to work since I use the only other hopper remote in the bedroom and I didn't want to wait for it to come in the mail.

Please help with this as I am frustrated as all get out!

Dish has new Hopper remotes for $20.00 on the website if you can't get the 21.1 to work.

BTY, I believe you need to switch the 21.1 remote to UHF mode for it to work with the Hopper, however that's done.

The 21.1 MUST be set to IR the OP was correct on that.
The 21.1 must also be set to address #1.
On the Hopper you must got to Menu - Settings - Remote Manager then select IR and make sure you have it set to enable.

I busted my hopper 40.0 remote and I bought this 21.1 at Target to replace it (nobody had 40.0 remotes). I did a google search and searched on here and found an older forum that someone had success programming the 21.1 to work on the hopper. I followed those directions including switching the tab to one and the switch near the batteries to IR and followed the remaining directions to program it and I can't get the darn thing to work.
I know it's silly, but I need something to work since I use the only other hopper remote in the bedroom and I didn't want to wait for it to come in the mail.

Please help with this as I am frustrated as all get out!

I can't guarantee that a 21.1 remote will work with a Hopper, but to use it as an IR remote, you need to go into the Hopper menus, using the front panel, go to Settings/Remote Manager, and go to IR Mode and turn that on. That way, the Hopper will be looking for an IR remote.

Ebay has them for $10 to $15. I bought an extra one and my Hopper won't be here till the 22nd of Feb. ;) The IR/RF switch is in the battery compartment on the 21.1 remote. FYI

I am using 21.0 remotes on my hopper. The tab with the green 1 and the inner switch pointed up.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Did you make sure the remote is set to address #1?
Hold the sat button until all the mode buttons light up then press the 1 key followed by the # key, the sat button should then blink a few(3) times.

Did you forget to Record it? After above press record to make it permanent, not just until reboot. IIRC.
-Ken

This is not a needed step, pressing record is for CHANGING the address on a VIP receiver to match the remote. The Hopper address cannot be changed.

well kinda

It is not the 1 or 2 on the remote. It is what is programed to the remote. The 1 and 2 are just tabs , covers , labels. The 1 or 2 does nothing other then to help the person who grabs it know what room it's for. You can take the identifier out flip it around and it does the same thing. 20.0 can only be a 1. 21.1 can do 1 or 2. It's not the tab but the remote address that controls the receiver.

When it first was discovered it was remote address1 but sense all the updates I think it has been expanded to 1-10.Hold Sat until the buttons at the top light up, press 2 then #, the sat button should blink three times then try the remote. If it does not work try the same process but with 3 on the number pad and just keep going you should find a remote address one through ten that works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)