Can't Get a SWM – the most frustrating and outdated system

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

stanj

Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
MD
I currently have a HD-DVR HR20-700 and a5-LNB Multi-Satellite Dish.
The HR20 was installed in 2005 in the newly finished basement that was prewired with two cables from the basement to the external 5-LNB Multi-Satellite Dish.

I purchased a new Viso HD TV for the upstairs family room and arranged for my old HD receiver to be upgraded. The service tech came out last week and brought an HR23 HD DVR. First, he said something about the HR23 not being able to work with the current system because of the new software that was loaded. Then, he ran a test in the basement on the HR20 and said that it was only obtaining a 47% signal and the minimum required to program a new HD DVR like the HR23 is 90%.

He also said in order to have the capability to record more than one program; a second cable would have to be run from the dish to the family room.

He said that that it would be easier and more cost effective have a SWM dish installed since I will also be getting another HD DVR for the upstairs and will also require another cable to be run from the old 5-LNB Multi-Satellite Dish.

I contacted DirecTV and at first, the customer service rep said I was eligible for a dish upgrade and DVR. Then, she came back on and said the system will not allow an input for a new dish. I then went through it with a supervisor and still nothing was resolved.

They have some kind of pre programmed system that will not authorize a SWM dish since I already have a 5-LNB Multi-Satellite Dish that will work with the HR20

This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard about.
Instead of having a simple solution like getting a new dish, I will have to either get holes drilled through the walls of my house or have to pay for a custom cable installation.

I can’t believe in today’s compute age and technology, DirecTV cannot override a computer order and have a new dish installed that would solve this problem.

Any ideas or comments - ?

I currently have a HD-DVR HR20-700 and a5-LNB Multi-Satellite Dish.
The HR20 was installed in 2005 in the newly finished basement that was prewired with two cables from the basement to the external 5-LNB Multi-Satellite Dish.

I purchased a new Viso HD TV for the upstairs family room and arranged for my old HD receiver to be upgraded. The service tech came out last week and brought an HR23 HD DVR. First, he said something about the HR23 not being able to work with the current system because of the new software that was loaded. Then, he ran a test in the basement on the HR20 and said that it was only obtaining a 47% signal and the minimum required to program a new HD DVR like the HR23 is 90%.

He also said in order to have the capability to record more than one program; a second cable would have to be run from the dish to the family room.

He said that that it would be easier and more cost effective have a SWM dish installed since I will also be getting another HD DVR for the upstairs and will also require another cable to be run from the old 5-LNB Multi-Satellite Dish.

I contacted DirecTV and at first, the customer service rep said I was eligible for a dish upgrade and DVR. Then, she came back on and said the system will not allow an input for a new dish. I then went through it with a supervisor and still nothing was resolved.

They have some kind of pre programmed system that will not authorize a SWM dish since I already have a 5-LNB Multi-Satellite Dish that will work with the HR20

This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard about.
Instead of having a simple solution like getting a new dish, I will have to either get holes drilled through the walls of my house or have to pay for a custom cable installation.

I can’t believe in today’s compute age and technology, DirecTV cannot override a computer order and have a new dish installed that would solve this problem.

Any ideas or comments - ?

Are they using the SWiM set up in your area ?
If not, that may be the reason.

IF you want it bad enough to pay for it, you could always order it from one of the site sponsors.

You could always run it by D* and see if they would comp you for it, I would now expect them, but you never know, if you approach it right.

The HR20 wasn't released until 2006, so it wasn't installed at your house in 2005.

Unfortunately DIRECTV doesn't give away SWM to anyone that want's it yet.
I guess you'll have to buy it yourself.

I have SWM.Of course I ordered the 5-LNB from Solid Signal. D* came out & installed it & set up my second HD DVR(HR23). The tech gave me a 3-LNB because trees were blocking my ability to set up the 5-LNB. I have no complaints against D*. I understand the way to get what I want,is to order it my self from 3rd parties. Like the other responders have said,just order the SWM LNB yourself & see if D* will install it under the guise of setting up your new HD DVR,just like I did.

Why dont people belive me when i say we have no way of specifying a specific reciver or part. what gets puts on the truck is what gets put on the truck it all based on which area you live in and the supply chain.

thanks for the info..

the tech who came out was the one that told me that he has installed SWM dishes and it would work for me... all I had to do was call DTV and tell them my set up and that I did not one holes drilled through the house to get a second cable..

DTV said they have no control over what the system request...kind of lame if you ask me..I work in the computer industry and know there are ways to get around what a computer puts on a work request..

If I order the DIRECTV SWM5 LNB POWER SUPPLY 8 WAY SWM SPLITTER, would the tech install it and not charge an additional fee?

You already have the dish. Just get a SWM LNB on eBay for $50 shipped. Hell, it even comes with the 8 way splitter and Power Inserter.

(1) DIRECTV SWM5 LNB POWER SUPPLY 8 WAY SWM SPLITTER - eBay (item 280445089516 end time Jan-02-10 18:54:41 PST)

All you need to do is swap the LNB on the dish and eliminate some of the coax runs into the home. This will allow you to take advantage of both tuners on your DVR's with only needing one wire to each receiver.

Don't eliminate the extra runs to the house, just don't use them at this point..... never know when that unused run may come in handy.

thanks for the info..

the tech who came out was the one that told me that he has installed SWM dishes and it would work for me... all I had to do was call DTV and tell them my set up and that I did not one holes drilled through the house to get a second cable..

DTV said they have no control over what the system request...kind of lame if you ask me..I work in the computer industry and know there are ways to get around what a computer puts on a work request..

If I order the DIRECTV SWM5 LNB POWER SUPPLY 8 WAY SWM SPLITTER, would the tech install it and not charge an additional fee?

Directv is a NATIONWIDE company, not a local one that you can run down to the corner .... they have installers all over the company, but not in every city.

StoneCold has been trying to tell you that they have no say over what comes to your home, but some don't want to hear it.
If they have what you want in the warehouse that does your installs then YES you probably can get what you want .... why not call the warehouse and ask if they have it ?

As for a fee, that depends on what they are there to do. If they are coming out spacifically to place the SWiM then Yes I would expect a bill, if they are coming out for another reason, if you talk with the installer he probably would install it for you if your reasonable about it.

Give him a tip afterwards.

If your dish is a AU-9 Slimline, the LNB can be replaced with a SWM version. However, if it is old it could be a AT-9 and you would need to replace the entire assembly. The AT-9 has the 110 and 119 LNBs in a separate piece off to the side of the 99/101/103 LNB, so it is easy to tell the difference. Another option would be to buy a SWM8 on eBay and install that external to the dish.

thanks for the info..

let us know how it went but in any case as already posted, you can get these for $50 or less on ebay. i got mine for $30 on ebay. switched it myself. no biggie but make sure about the dish you have like bob already mentioned. good luck.........

I am pretty sure this is the dish I have
http://www.htmarket.com/at9.html

When the tech was here, I should have asked for his phone number.

When I spoke with DTV they said they do not know the phone number or location of the company here in MD that came out the first time. Only a name of Mastec was given. I checked and they are nation wide and I did not see a location for MD.

I will have to see what they do next Saturday.

If I could get hold of the installer, I would check first if he can get hold of a SWiM or if I get one see if he would install it...

I am pretty sure this is the dish I have
http://www.htmarket.com/at9.html

When the tech was here, I should have asked for his phone number.

When I spoke with DTV they said they do not know the phone number or location of the company here in MD that came out the first time. Only a name of Mastec was given. I checked and they are nation wide and I did not see a location for MD.

I will have to see what they do next Saturday.

If I could get hold of the installer, I would check first if he can get hold of a SWiM or if I get one see if he would install it...

That is the original 5 LNB set up (AT-9).
It doesn't work with the SWiM set up as far as I know.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, it's very similar, but I don't think it handles the SWiM set up.

btw, most of the time when a D* tech comes out they leave thier card incase you have any issues.

That's the original side car Ka/Ku dish and it won't work with a SWiM LNB. The closets you can get is to get a SWiM external switch, which besides being able to handle up to 8 SWiM tuners also has 3 legacy outputs to connect to old receivers that aren't SWiM compatible.

Since you have the "old" HD dish, I would suggest picking up this.

DIRECTV DTV SWM5 SWM 5 Five LNB Ka/Ku SlimLine KA KU - eBay (item 330337061539 end time Jan-07-10 11:58:26 PST)

It comes with everything you need for a SWM set up. The dish, SWM LNB, Power Inserter, and splitter. Best of all it will fit on the pole that you are currently using. All you'll have to do is slide off the old dish and slide this one on then adjust it. Best of all, you just need 1 wire into the home and each receiver.

When in doubt do it yourself. You'll always know then what you have and will always get what you want.

I just hope the guy coming out on the 13th for me has two HR22/23's and a SWM. I can do without the SWM, but will be pissed if he shows up with a 20/21.

elway I have not seen any hr20 show up as new upgrades/installs in ages just as erp ( replacements )

Basically all we hand out now are HR22/23 for new installs and upgrades

elway I have not seen any hr20 show up as new upgrades/installs in ages just as erp ( replacements )

Basically all we hand out now are HR22/23 for new installs and upgrades

I thought that earlier in this thread you said it depends on what the local supply chain has, not what DIRECTV says you'll get. :confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)