cant get signal quality above 1 % need help

Status
Please reply by conversation.
LOL, you're not giving up that easy! What were you getting on G10R?

i got a few transponders but no channels(never got to receive any channels from the beginning ) i switched lnbs to a tracker 2+ same results would a pole higher than 28" in the tripod help, there are houses in the way to the south is that the problem.

For you, your True South Sat would be about 50degs up.
For a motor to work, it has to be set up to your True South, even if that sat is not visable.
It's all about angles.
You can't just point and blind scan on your frist sat, and expect to get something.
Use "The List" tab at the Top of this Web Page. Find Your TS Sat - 97west, and take note of a Live Transponder listed there.
Then, in the receivers Sat Setup Menu for 97west, double check LNB settings:
LNB - Standard or Single
L.O. - 10750
Enter / Check USALS - Your Long and Lat info.
Select a Live Transponder from the list, look for:
12177 V 23000 or 12152 H 20000

This is all easier if you can bring the Receiver and a small TV to the Dish.
The Motor / Dish should be pointing Due South - 175.6° using a Compass
Re-Check Motor Latitude(your latitude) and Dish elevation settings.
Then, slowly rotate the Motor and Dish as One, to the Left and Right watching for Quality to increase. If you do not get anything, Raise or Lower Dish Elevation(not Motor Latitude) 1 deg and repeat rotating.

For you, your True South Sat would be about 50degs up.
For a motor to work, it has to be set up to your True South, even if that sat is not visable.
It's all about angles.
You can't just point and blind scan on your frist sat, and expect to get something.
Use "The List" tab at the Top of this Web Page. Find Your TS Sat - 97west, and take note of a Live Transponder listed there.
Then, in the receivers Sat Setup Menu for 97west, double check LNB settings:
LNB - Standard or Single
L.O. - 10750
Enter / Check USALS - Your Long and Lat info.
Select a Live Transponder from the list, look for:
12177 V 23000 or 12152 H 20000

This is all easier if you can bring the Receiver and a small TV to the Dish.
The Motor / Dish should be pointing Due South - 175.6° using a Compass
Re-Check Motor Latitude(your latitude) and Dish elevation settings.
Then, slowly rotate the Motor and Dish as One, to the Left and Right watching for Quality to increase. If you do not get anything, Raise or Lower Dish Elevation(not Motor Latitude) 1 deg and repeat rotating.

Once this is all set it will work every time as Long as the Dish doesn't get moved

"Once this is all set it will work every time as Long as the Dish doesn't get moved"

Correct, the Mechanical setup is done only once.
In the Receiver's Setup Menu, you will have to check the LNB settings for each Sat.
USALS info is only entered once, no need to re-enter for each Sat.
Transponder info is only entered once, unless there is a change. Blind Scanning will automatically enter new TPs as it finds them.

Is the tripod mounted rock steady with a plumb pole?

I apoligize if you don't need this basic advice. If the tripod is just standing in your yard or on a patio with no solid attachment it's going to make it a lot harder to set up. Even if you can find a satellite with a crooked pole, the motor won't work right unless the pole is plumb and solid.

Is the tripod mounted rock steady with a plumb pole?

I apoligize if you don't need this basic advice. If the tripod is just standing in your yard or on a patio with no solid attachment it's going to make it a lot harder to set up. Even if you can find a satellite with a crooked pole, the motor won't work right unless the pole is plumb and solid.

not yet have 2 x 4 stud boards to build a base to anchor the tripod, i have a 28" post that fits in the tripod would a longer post be better?

No need to apologize open to any advice Basic or not

do any of the hardware stores sale flat coaxial jumpers?

A longer pole would give the weight of the dish and motor more leverage to make the tripod move, so unless you needed a longer pole to see the satellites then it doesn't matter. But it really does matter if the mounting pole isn't solid and plumb.

The dish has to be adjusted precisely in small increments. It's not as hard as it sounds IF you have a good solid mounting pole, but if the pole and the tripod move every time you try to adjust the elevation or the aiming of the dish then you will have frustrating problems.

As others have said, the Sadoun website has excellent guidance on setting up your system. Combined with the advice you receive here you will become an FTA expert overnight, just like I did.

another quick newbie question,
does the lnb need to be aligned to the triangle mark on the lnb for a motorized system?

Last edited:
Are you talking about Skewing the LNB?

yes i read another post you made about this("Just remember that with a motor you do not skew the LNB, the motion of the motor will do that for you.") and was wondering? will post pictures later as i get closer to resetting up everything, working on make the soild base for the tripod

When you setup your Dish with Motor, and Pointed at Your True South Sat, the LNB should look like the Pic attached.....

Attachments

• KUL1_small2.jpg
    KUL1_small2.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 96
Here are some pics I took this morning that may help you to visualize how the motor skews the dish (and LNBF) as it follows the arc. The pics are of my dish pointing at 72W, 95W (my true south sat is at 93W but I don't have that location saved) and 127W. The close up of the LNBF shows that it set at zero degrees, hope this helps you to understand. :)

Attachments

• Sat Ku at 72W.JPG
    Sat Ku at 72W.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Sat Ku at 95W.JPG
    Sat Ku at 95W.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Sat Ku at 127W.JPG
    Sat Ku at 127W.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Sat Ku LNB close.JPG
    Sat Ku LNB close.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Go in the middle - snug. Loose enough to move left / right for tweaking. Once you get Quality, you start to tighten things up. You may lose the signal when tighting, go slowly.

ok will try to post pictures this week of the setup before i reset it and after

thank you all, and maybe this weekend i can start watching fta satellite

Actually you should set the motor to true south and not the dish, then using the receiver, you drive/move the dish to the true south satellite. Then you fine tune the dish for the best performance you can achieve. The motor should be set to your latitude and then left alone/untouched afterward. Do all the fine tuning with the reflector, and use the closest satellite to your true south with a known TP (transponder) and SR (signal rate).... Good Luck...!!!

Your fine tuning of the azimuth (not elevation) is done at the pole using the motor clamp. The fine tuning of the elevation is done at the dish NOT the motor.
Hope this helps:)
Bob

will this work in a sliding door? because i cant drill any holes into the house from outside.

Eagle Aspen Flat RG6 Coaxial Cable: 8" Length, easier installation when round coaxial cable will not fit through a space. Bring cable through a closed window or door with this RG6 compatible flat lead-in cable! The barrels on the end are 3GHz, and the filament is a round wire.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts